Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 09:48 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times

Advertisements

I can never quite grasp the point of asking about the 'need' for firearms (of any type) any more than I can fathom questioning anyones 'need' of anything. "Need' if a relative term and pretty specific in its context. From my front porch everyone 'needs' a firearm. I certainly do, and when that 'need' asserts itself, it matters not a whit what shooter I grab up to bring to bear. AR 15, M1A, Mod 700, Mod 66 or 25, 1911, etc, they all do what they are designed to do, launch a projectile at a target of my choosing. Whether that target be a tin can in a dry wash or a meth maggot creeping about my spread in search of mischief. Determination of 'need' is an individual right and should remain as such. Whether or not I 'need' a specific type of firearm for a specific purpose is MY business, thank you very much. ifn someone else be a' thinkin' they be qualified to determine MY 'needs'?? wellllll, what they think matters bout a fart in a high wind to me..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 02:55 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
We need guns as much as we need cupcakes.
And we need to outlaw guns as much as we need to outlaw cupcakes too.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:00 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,577,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
I realize the second amendment guarantees our right to own a gun.
I am neither pro- or against-gun control. However this weekend I received an advertisement with the newspaper from a local sporting goods store. The multi-page magazine style ad focused on guns and many of the items made me ask the question "why would someone need this?"
The one that sticks out the most was a gattling gun replica which can shoot some crazy number of rounds per minute.
I understand people like to go hunting but you don't need pistols for that. Perhaps you would need a pistol to defend against a home invasion, but if you outlaw guns that becomes less of an issue.

I guess the main question is why do we need to have the right to own a gun?
The answer to that question is stated in one line ". Don't ask your Government to do for you, what you should be doing for your self" . When an emergency arises, you are the quickest responder. Its as simple as that.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:04 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
The answer to that question is stated in one line ". Don't ask your Government to do for you, what you should be doing for your self" . When an emergency arises, you are the quickest responder. Its as simple as that.

My 1911 has a quicker response than 911.....

Old 03-05-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Are you planning an assault sometime soon?

We might as well not produce cars that exceed 65 mph.
A new car that will go 120mph.Now that a deadly assault weapon ! Thousand killed daily.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Gun owners mention the use for hunting and self-protection. Not a bad idea.
Some, however, have all sorts of firearms (like assault weapons) as if they expect their homes to be invaded by a bus load of heavily armed criminals.
Watch too many action movies?
Does the words Watts Riot ever com to mind ? .

Old 03-05-2011, 03:25 PM

33 posts, read 224,740 times
Quote:
I am neither pro- or against-gun control. However this weekend I received an advertisement with the newspaper from a local sporting goods store. The multi-page magazine style ad focused on guns and many of the items made me ask the question "why would someone need this?"
The one that sticks out the most was a gattling gun replica which can shoot some crazy number of rounds per minute.
I understand people like to go hunting but you don't need pistols for that. Perhaps you would need a pistol to defend against a home invasion, but if you outlaw guns that becomes less of an issue.

Outlawing guns does not prevent gun crimes. Gun control activists love to claim that gun control would prevent crimes but they are very naive for believing so. Mexico, for instance has some of the most strict gun control laws in the world and look at where it has gotten them. The criminals and drug cartels of course have an arsenal and are killing innocent defenseless victims by the thousand. Washington DC had strict gun control but yet has one of the worst crime rates and murder rates in the U.S. They have a huge problem with gun related crime and murder.

It may seem silly for an individual to own AK 47's and other high power assault type riffles but if some sort of crazy uprising was to happen and got out of control those that have them would be glad they did.

Texas is passing a bill allowing students and staff to carry their guns concealed as long as they have a weapons permit to help prevent massacres in the future. The simple fact is, the nut that wants to go on a killing spree could care less if there is a law or rule stating they can't bring a gun on school campus. Not allowing students and staff to have theirs for protection puts them at a severe disadvantage and basically makes them free game until the police arrive and get control of the situation.

Last edited by charlesdickens; 03-05-2011 at 03:49 PM..

Old 03-05-2011, 03:28 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,040 times
Originally it was to keep the Govt. honest. But in all reality the common man using the common handgun stands no chance vs. a trained man using a fully automatic weapon. Reality check is in order, you stand no chance vs. a trained Marine.

In today's era guns are for personal protection and status.

I support my right to own a gun but I also see that we need some regulation because too many idiots own guns.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:03 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,203 times
Quote:

If you live in LA-LA land, no one would own a gun
good grief!!
do you really think that out lawing guns would solve problems?
Are you in the same world I am in? Are you 15 years old or something?
I live in the city limits of Atlanta, I do not own a gun, but I sure have thought about it
on my street alone we have had rapes a kidknapping and armed robberies
a few blocks from me a guy and his wife was held up at gun point, the man being robbed pulled out his own gun and shot and killed the robber
and you are going to ask if guns should be out lawed?? A 65 year old woman, that I know was pistol whipped and robbed at gun point by 3 teen agers in broad daylight!!
How about the ass holes that are making us feel like we need to own guns
go to jail and keep their asses there without some lawyer getting them back on the streets or some dumb ass crying about their up bringing!!
Good grief!!!!!!

Old 03-05-2011, 07:15 PM

139 posts, read 380,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Originally, our nation's people were not only the nation's defense force, but we also needed guns for hunting and self-defense. 3rdly, our forefather's wanted us to have this right so as to keep our government honest. The 2nd amendment is our civil defense against a government should it turn tyrannical.
Perfect, explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies