Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,682,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobee;18215322quote
stop talking silly, guns are not illegal in the UK you can get one with a licence. You cannot kill masses of people in one session with a knife.

The gun has much better mass killing potential than the knife.

guns are not essential in US society, most US people dont own guns.

millions cannot afford them.

Perhaps you should keep your comments restricted to something you know about......
U.S. highest in gun ownership - The Daily Collegian Online
The United States has the highest rate of gun ownership in the world at 90 firearms per 100 citizens

It might even help to read a local paper sometime...
Gun crime + UK news | World news | guardian.co.uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 09:19 AM

50,076 posts, read 46,646,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I'm going to agree with the 2nd statement. That is because of laws against "Saturday Night Specials" (aka cheap guns) Saturday night special - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which is really an attempt to disarm the poor.

The 1st statement is partially true. Even though 50% of the US population live in a household with at least 1 firearm, not all of the residents are owners. Gun politics in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia On the other hand, most firearm owners have more than one firearm which really skews the numbers. There are enough guns in the US to arm almost every man, woman and child.
I can walk into many stores and legally buy a lethal home defense weapon for under 100 dollars. That is not expensive considering it is a one time purchase, all legal.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:56 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,889,122 times
I know some people where that would be a choice between food and protection.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:06 AM

873 posts, read 1,796,337 times
Did anybody else see the Libyan citizen complaining that they had no guns? That Gaddafi had all the guns? But of course, that couldn't happen here! LOL. Nobody needs to be able to protect themselves. What nonsense.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 AM

50,076 posts, read 46,646,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I know some people where that would be a choice between food and protection.
At points in my life too. You purchase one when you can and consider it something you can never sell. Most people have a mental list that is prioritized and If I lived in the "hood" a cheap weapon would be pretty high on the list of must haves.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:26 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,882,522 times
Buggy, where ya seeing these reports? I get CNN and Fox, but they don't seem to be getting much video, or anything else that isn't fed to them.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:03 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,176,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I can walk into many stores and legally buy a lethal home defense weapon for under 100 dollars. That is not expensive considering it is a one time purchase, all legal.
wow you would trust your life to a cheap gun that chances are will jam or misfire not very acurate and is junk.
I would say a glock 23 or Sig Sauer P226 chambered in .40 S&W is the best choice IMO for a reliable gun with stopping power.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:05 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,029,739 times
To protect ourselves from burglars and criminals.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:39 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,822,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Perhaps you should keep your comments restricted to something you know about......
U.S. highest in gun ownership - The Daily Collegian Online
The United States has the highest rate of gun ownership in the world at 90 firearms per 100 citizens

It might even help to read a local paper sometime...
Gun crime + UK news | World news | guardian.co.uk
I read about Canada on the US Department of State's website and it said that gun crime is on the rise there, despite restrictive laws on firearms. You need a license to own any firearm in Canada and it must be registered with the feds up there, and self-defense is usually not a valid reason to grant someone a license. Go figure, gun laws failing.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:00 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,443,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
wow you would trust your life to a cheap gun that chances are will jam or misfire not very acurate and is junk.
I would say a glock 23 or Sig Sauer P226 chambered in .40 S&W is the best choice IMO for a reliable gun with stopping power.
you read to many magazines kid

you can buy a cheap mossburg 12 gauge pump at most walmarts that's more powerful, more reliable, more accurate and cost less than a third as much as any of those pistols you just mentioned.

also I think the poster was referring to a cheap semi auto 22 rifle which I would take over any hand gun in a fire fight as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies