Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 01:02 AM

499 posts, read 405,021 times

Advertisements

eh. Bit heavy on the stereotypes but shouldn't affect the sale of doritos one way or the other.

Snack foods must do a booming trade during the Super Bowl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 01:04 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
who cares, it's funny, it's cute.. and it's not some stupid big boobed woman doing the whole "ooohh me.. I'm sexy" routine.
Bout time we have some sexy men to look at in a super bowl commercial! except for the guy with the curly hair in the second commercial.. he was not so cute.. but he's straight so who cares.
Yeah! Not to mention, straight women will appreciate the eye-candy too... and despite some people's belief that football is "for the dudes," there are TONS of women who watch (particularly the Super Bowl).

Old 01-25-2011, 01:11 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bright_future View Post
oh yes, the 97% or so of people that are STRAIGHT are really going to want to buy Doritos now that it is associated with something they would never want to try or do. And for most, something that actually the thought of , would make them LOSE their appetite.
1. I'm straight, and the commercials didn't make me lose my appetite... in fact, I'm craving some cool ranch Doritos now. Sure, I am a woman, but I doubt my straight male friends/family would find it off-putting either. In fact, I know they wouldn't.

2. The gay population is a lot higher than 3% - about 10% by national statistics, and even higher if you include bisexuals & the fact that nobody actually knows these numbers (it's mostly conjecture).

Old 01-25-2011, 01:13 AM

499 posts, read 405,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bright_future View Post
oh yes, the 97% or so of people that are STRAIGHT are really going to want to buy Doritos now that it is associated with something they would never want to try or do. And for most, something that actually the thought of , would make them LOSE their appetite.

The people who came up with this commercial are going to be looking for jobs soon is my guess.

I believe that being gay is perfectly legal and that they should be able to have a union. I'm just posting my opinion and the opinion of probably many people who once bought their chips.
Honestly, I think if people want doritos this isn't going to stop them. It isn't like this is a new brand they are advertising.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:31 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollymixture View Post
Honestly, I think if people want doritos this isn't going to stop them. It isn't like this is a new brand they are advertising.
It has stopped me. In fact, although I was in the market for one, I didn't buy a new Chrysler minivan when they were sponsoring "Ellen". After they dropped her, I bought one. I will not help promote the acceptance of perversity in our society.

Last edited by Bideshi; 01-25-2011 at 01:42 AM..

Old 01-25-2011, 01:33 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,451,672 times
Lighten up, people. Its supposed to be funny.

I guess I am still surprised by homophobia. In my industry, gay men are everywhere. They are just like everyone else..just trying to have a happy life. They are not hitting on straights.

Its fine with me to see these funny commercials. Go Doritos!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:35 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It has stopped me. In fact, I didn't buy a new Chrysler minivan when they were sponsoring "Ellen". After they dropped her, I bought one. I will not help promote the acceptance of perversity in our society.

I'm thinking Ellen has done better than Chrysler... so guess they didn't really need ya...

I thought the rock paper,scissor, jewels was hysterical...

Old 01-25-2011, 01:43 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I'm thinking Ellen has done better than Chrysler... so guess they didn't really need ya...

I thought the rock paper,scissor, jewels was hysterical...
I didn't expect to change Chrysler's corporate posture, or Dorito's; it is a purely personal decision not to promote perversity with my hard earned money.

Last edited by Bideshi; 01-25-2011 at 02:15 AM..

Old 01-25-2011, 01:47 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I didn't expect to change corporate posture; it is a purely personal decision not to promote perversity.
I can't believe some people still call homosexuality "perversity".

Old 01-25-2011, 01:51 AM

144 posts, read 270,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
I am offended...not because it is gay related (hello I'm gay), but the "swishyness" and innuendos that it has. NEWS FLASH....not all gay men are flamers, nor do we want to have sex with any man with a schlong.
Once again the mainstream advertisers are feeding into the NEGATIVE stereotype that most of America thinks we already are. Of course most of my Gay and Lesbian counterparts will find it "fierce" or "fabulous".....and yet they wonder why society STILL has a negative attitude about us.
Why couldn't Frito Lay produce an ad where some gay men are hanging with some straight buddies and enjoying something other than each others sexual parts??
Good point, but how about the ads that show enhance women's breasts, the ones that show women in a sexual way?

Does that play into a stereotype that straight men think only about sex? Why does an ad showing gay men speak for all gay men?

In fact, alot of ads involve sex appeal, which almost always is geared to the straight male. Are straight males horned up all of the time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies