Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 07:39 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It's not the only type of charity I give to, but definitely at the top of my list...
I find animals more deserving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 07:55 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
This is just one of many reasons i dont like most politicians. I live in ca & if any of you cat/dog haters want to try to kill my 5 cats you're welcome to try but i guarantee you 100% you WONT get far & a few of my cats will tear you a new *******.
That is not what the bill is purposing. Even the article was clear as to the main purpose of the bill and why it is being promoted.

Feral animal populations are no joke. Cats breed excessively and spread diseases if uncontrolled. Dogs are extremely dangerous if they breed in those populations getting out of control. That is, they are far more dangerous than even wolf packs as feral dog packs kill and maim for fun (yes, even the lovable breeds many know as docile and harmless).

Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
That is not what the bill is purposing. Even the article was clear as to the main purpose of the bill and why it is being promoted.

Feral animal populations are no joke. Cats breed excessively and spread diseases if uncontrolled. Dogs are extremely dangerous if they breed in those populations getting out of control. That is, they are far more dangerous than even wolf packs as feral dog packs kill and maim for fun (yes, even the lovable breeds many know as docile and harmless).
You know what's far more dangerous than out of control dog and cat breeding? Breeding Idiots who pass (or support) stupid legislation like this.

Please explain to us all the prevalence and incidence of 'cat diseases' spreading to human populations. I'm far more concerned and worried about idiots who breed than any cat or dog.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I grew up in a rural area in upstate NY too close to the community dump. We had a semi feral pack of cats that we fed and sometimes treated as pets. They were masters at feeding themselves off the ever growing rat and squirrel populations. Ever time my cat hating step father had the cats a hauled off by the "humane" society our house and other building were overrun with rats and squirrels trying to live in the basement, walls and attic. That was not much fun. We couldn’t trap them as fast as they bred. Eventually another cat would hang around and breed another pride and the rats would cease to be a problem. Eventually a balanced system was established. I also did my best to thin the rat population with a .22 rifle but I never was as effective as continuous raids by a few cats.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:36 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Actually even with this law there'd be no problem if folks were responsible pet owners and didn't allow them to become a nuisance to others. And if they really "love" their animals, they'd keep them out of harm's way, instead of making them some else's responsibility. I've lost valuable poultry to neighborhood dogs on the loose, simply because their owners believe they should be able to run "free", and that anyone who disagrees "doesn't love animals".

But fortunately local law still allows you to kill any predators responsible for "attacks or threats to livestock". So "animal lover" or no, for anybody's off-leash "pet" that comes snooping around my critters, these days the solution has become just a discrete but permanent "adios". Problem solved.

"Nope, sorry buddy, haven't seen your Rex, Spot, Fluffy, whatever... gee, dunno what could've happened to them?!"

Old 01-25-2011, 09:49 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Its really the fact that aniamals can become a probelm when freee roaming. They had poice snipers shooting dogs in apcks i new orleans after the hurricane. It the problem with owners really. I am a pet owner.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:51 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Actually even with this law there'd be no problem if folks were responsible pet owners and didn't allow them to become a nuisance to others. And if they really "love" their animals, they'd keep them out of harm's way, instead of making them some else's responsibility. I've lost valuable poultry to neighborhood dogs on the loose, simply because their owners believe they should be able to run "free", and that anyone who disagrees "doesn't love animals".

But fortunately local law still allows you to kill any predators responsible for "attacks or threats to livestock". So "animal lover" or no, for anybody's off-leash "pet" that comes snooping around my critters, these days the solution has become just a discrete but permanent "adios". Problem solved.

"Nope, sorry buddy, haven't seen your Rex, Spot, Fluffy, whatever... gee, dunno what could've happened to them?!"
A pet dog should never be roaming free, which is why we have leash laws (at least where I live)... but that's not really the point, since this law is supposed to be aimed at feral animals. My problem is, some people might take this as an excuse to shoot ANY animal - even if they know it's somebody's pet who accidentally got loose. Unless they are being overtly threatening, I hope you'd call animal control before loading up a shotgun.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:02 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
A pet dog should never be roaming free, which is why we have leash laws (at least where I live)... but that's not really the point, since this law is supposed to be aimed at feral animals. My problem is, some people might take this as an excuse to shoot ANY animal - even if they know it's somebody's pet who accidentally got loose. Unless they are being overtly threatening, I hope you'd call animal control before loading up a shotgun.
Exactly. And it's quite difficult to tell the difference between a scared pet cat and a feral cat. Remembering that responsible cat owners put breakaway collars on their cats so they don't hang up and choke to death adds to the confusion - cat without collar != feral.

We had chickens when I was growing up; a neighbor's dog developed a liking for killing them, and came every few days to take out a hen. Here in Tucson, people who have chickens need to keep them in a coyote- (and dog-) safe enclosure. Hey, presto! No chicken raids!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:17 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Exactly. And it's quite difficult to tell the difference between a scared pet cat and a feral cat. Remembering that responsible cat owners put breakaway collars on their cats so they don't hang up and choke to death adds to the confusion - cat without collar != feral.

We had chickens when I was growing up; a neighbor's dog developed a liking for killing them, and came every few days to take out a hen. Here in Tucson, people who have chickens need to keep them in a coyote- (and dog-) safe enclosure. Hey, presto! No chicken raids!
Your pet shouldn't become someone else's problem. So by the same token, if you want to keep your dog or cat "safe", then just keep them in an "enclosure". Hey, presto! Also no chicken raids (or unfortunate pet "disappearances")!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:26 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Your pet shouldn't become someone else's problem. So by the same token, if you want to keep your dog or cat "safe", then just keep them in an "enclosure". Hey, presto! Also no chicken raids (or unfortunate pet "disappearances")!
Even for those of us who keep our pets inside, there are going to be occasions that they escape. It's just what pets do.

Unrestrained shooting of animals ("oh, look! It's a cat - I'm sure it's feral") is not really the solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies