Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 05:39 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Gee, I didn't hear any ideas from obama - isn't he the leader of the country?
That is because you had your mind closed to any thing he was going to say before he opened his mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 05:43 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
As a business person, I think he gave a very pro business speech. Innovate and adapt or lose--the world really is changing, and so is the job market. We're not going to wave a magic wand and make things the way they used to be--that world is gone due to globalization. If I don't do that in my own business, I'm out. Reduce the corporate tax rate, but close the loopholes (which I've always seen as the biggest problem anyway--industries that pay NOTHING while small business owners get hammered). Stop the pork and the pay checks to big oil, and invest in innovative technology through basic research so companies can run with applied research. Make sure that we have a workforce trained and educated well enough to do the job. Instead of flat across the board cuts in the federal government, consolidate departments that overlap to make the system EFFICIENT. That's good business. I want to see details (there weren't many on either side) but it's a whole lot better than curling up in a ball and appealing to the fear and punishment center in people's brains, which is what I thought Ryan did. You can either get aggressive and work toward the future, or you can be afraid and blame everyone else.

Last edited by mb1547; 01-26-2011 at 05:56 AM..

Old 01-26-2011, 05:43 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
That is because you had your mind closed to any thing he was going to say before he opened his mouth.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:45 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,561 times
he has Native American blood running through his body, which explains his darker complexion.

**this is why black people relate better with him than Obama**

Old 01-26-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
As a business person, I think he gave laid out a very pro business speech. Innovate and adapt or lose--the world really is changing, and so is the job market. We're not going to wave a magic wand and make things the way they used to be--that world is gone due to globalization. If I don't do that in my own business, I'm out. Reduce the corporate tax rate, but close the loopholes (which I've always seen as the biggest problem anyway--industries that pay NOTHING while small business owners get hammered). Stop the pork and the pay checks to big oil, and invest in innovative technology through basic research so companies can run with applied research. Make sure that we have a workforce trained and educated well enough to do the job. Instead of flat across the board cuts in the federal government, consolidate departments that overlap to make the system EFFICIENT. That's good business. I want to see details (there weren't many on either side) but it's a whole lot better than curling up in a ball and appealing to the fear and punishment center in people's brains, which is what I thought Ryan did. You can either get aggressive and work toward the future, or you can be afraid and blame everyone else.
Excellent, well thought out post. Expect it to pass right over the heads of many on this thread....

Old 01-26-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
She doesn't have to listen to a speech of Obama to hate it.
Exactly! She hated it before it started.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
As a business person, I think he gave laid out a very pro business speech. Innovate and adapt or lose--the world really is changing, and so is the job market. We're not going to wave a magic wand and make things the way they used to be--that world is gone due to globalization. If I don't do that in my own business, I'm out. Reduce the corporate tax rate, but close the loopholes (which I've always seen as the biggest problem anyway--industries that pay NOTHING while small business owners get hammered). Stop the pork and the pay checks to big oil, and invest in innovative technology through basic research so companies can run with applied research. Make sure that we have a workforce trained and educated well enough to do the job. Instead of flat across the board cuts in the federal government, consolidate departments that overlap to make the system EFFICIENT. That's good business. I want to see details (there weren't many on either side) but it's a whole lot better than curling up in a ball and appealing to the fear and punishment center in people's brains, which is what I thought Ryan did. You can either get aggressive and work toward the future, or you can be afraid and blame everyone else.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
he has Native American blood running through his body, which explains his darker complexion.

**this is why black people relate better with him than Obama**
Your first sentence makes sense. Your second one, not so much...

BTW, how did he get Bayner from Boehner?? The name is German and there is no mistaking how is should be pronounced.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:06 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. President Barack Obama called on lawmakers on Tuesday to work with him to cut the corporate tax rate, but his pitch to offset lost revenues by slashing important tax cherished by companies could stall the effort.
"I'm asking Democrats and Republicans to simplify the system. Get rid of the loopholes," Obama said in his State of the Union address to a joint session of Congress. "A parade of lobbyists has rigged the important tax to benefit particular companies and industries."

Obama calls for cut in corporate tax, loopholes - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110126/pl_nm/us_obama_speech_tax - broken link)

This decision could give a big boost for the US economy for the next decades
Please Obama, Dems and Reps : DO IT
I liked what I heard during the speech. Of course it doesn't mean that everything he said will become reality, but it was a good speech of a moderate mindset.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:10 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I was surprised that Obama renounced the Obama tax cuts for millionaires, adopted just last month.
You were, why is that is it because you don't pay attention? The President said he was against extending the tax cuts for the rich since the very begining. Problem is the Republicans held Extended Unemployment Benefits for Millions of Americans hostage, it was the only way he could get them the money they needed. It is called compromise, something Repubs better learn to do or they will find themselves in the back seat again. This nation is sick and tired of the partisan politics and insist that the Reps do their job instead of playing games.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies