Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:51 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,979,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
As a business person, I think he gave a very pro business speech. Innovate and adapt or lose--the world really is changing, and so is the job market. We're not going to wave a magic wand and make things the way they used to be--that world is gone due to globalization. If I don't do that in my own business, I'm out. Reduce the corporate tax rate, but close the loopholes (which I've always seen as the biggest problem anyway--industries that pay NOTHING while small business owners get hammered). Stop the pork and the pay checks to big oil, and invest in innovative technology through basic research so companies can run with applied research. Make sure that we have a workforce trained and educated well enough to do the job. Instead of flat across the board cuts in the federal government, consolidate departments that overlap to make the system EFFICIENT. That's good business. I want to see details (there weren't many on either side) but it's a whole lot better than curling up in a ball and appealing to the fear and punishment center in people's brains, which is what I thought Ryan did. You can either get aggressive and work toward the future, or you can be afraid and blame everyone else.
You put that very well I'm tired of the oil companies, as was mentioned in TSOTU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 06:40 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times
I'm sure you all heard about cutting domestic spending. What about cutting foreign spending and keeping it right here??? That would certainly save us a lot of money and could be put to better use for the American people paying for that foreign spending.

Why is cutting foreign aid/spending so taboo that it is never spoken about?

Old 01-26-2011, 06:42 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Some people must have some problems with stomach gas. It saeems every time they burp, out comes a nonsensical talking point.
They're the angry fringe. It's probably best to ignore them. Obama's speech has received overwhelmingly high marks from the American people.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:38 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
They're the angry fringe. It's probably best to ignore them. Obama's speech has received overwhelmingly high marks from the American people.
Haha. An online "flash" poll!

Old 01-26-2011, 08:00 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Interesting thing happened today at my daughter's school. The Education Secretary was touring her school, there at Obama's behest to look at a school that is making it work and wants to model all public schools after it or others like it.

Some issues with this though. Yes, my daughter goes to an absolutely outstanding school. That being said, we are in a very well off area. In addition, our school actually receives some of the lowest per pupil dollar amounts out of any in the area. The community voted to keep taxes low and instead use the PTA to help fund school programs independent of taxes. There is 100% PTA participation. The arts and sports programs are 100% paid for by parents and they are nationally ranked (again - not paid for by taxes). The high school is run like a college, with "majors". My daughter's is Engineering and Science, and the Secretary came into her biomedical science class to see what it entailed. In addition, every teacher has a minimum of a masters and many with PhD's.

Now, all of that sounds great and for us, it is. There is a big issue with making this work everywhere else. This is a very, very rich area that can afford to do this. That being said, do not be surprised if Obama comes out with a plan to make high schools more like college. He's already looking for that "replacement" plan to No Child Left Behind like he touted in SOTU.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:27 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No, I'm actually speechless that someone cannot understand basic American English.
Oh ok so you were trying to be clever. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Was he talking too fast for you, do the speakers on FOX speak s l o w e r ?
Casper
You're assuming I watch Fox because.....oh I get it because I wasn't floored by his repetitive declarative statements amid the constant applause I MUST watch Fox, right?

Old 01-26-2011, 08:28 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
You put that very well I'm tired of the oil companies, as was mentioned in TSOTU.
I love the oil companies. Whenever I need gas for my car, they seem to have already placed an outlet to serve me. I don't need to dig oil wells, or refine the oil into gasoline, or build a pipeline to bring it to me, or own a gas station. I just pay a little money and the oil companies take care of everything else.

And the gasoline is really useful to me. It gets me to work, and to other places I want to go.

I am concerned about the oil companies, though. One of our nation's engineering marvels, the Alaska pipeline, is in danger of being shut down and dismantled in a few years because the administration has revoked Arctic off-shore drilling permits, and refuses to allow additional exploration in Alaska. I guess the President believes we will be better off buying more oil from foreign countries, since Alaska supplies a decent fraction of our current usage. Maybe it's a Sarah Palin thing with him, I don't know.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:27 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Some people must have some problems with stomach gas. It saeems every time they burp, out comes a nonsensical talking point.
Agree with you. Some people can't get enough of the Obama's "koolaid."

Old 01-26-2011, 11:30 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,287,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I love the oil companies. Whenever I need gas for my car, they seem to have already placed an outlet to serve me. I don't need to dig oil wells, or refine the oil into gasoline, or build a pipeline to bring it to me, or own a gas station. I just pay a little money and the oil companies take care of everything else.

And the gasoline is really useful to me. It gets me to work, and to other places I want to go.

I am concerned about the oil companies, though. One of our nation's engineering marvels, the Alaska pipeline, is in danger of being shut down and dismantled in a few years because the administration has revoked Arctic off-shore drilling permits, and refuses to allow additional exploration in Alaska. I guess the President believes we will be better off buying more oil from foreign countries, since Alaska supplies a decent fraction of our current usage. Maybe it's a Sarah Palin thing with him, I don't know.

If people believe that it's ok to keep buying the oil we use from other countries and not drill our oil to use, then what happens when our Nation is completely broke and the other countries drill our oil to resell to us? How much a gallon are they willing to pay to not use our oil?

Old 01-26-2011, 11:32 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,287,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Yeah, unreasonable, by mentioning that obama has grown the debt $3 TRILLION since he's been in office.

I know there must be a reason why his supporters try and ignore and deny these basic facts.

Without ignoring these facts, the supporters of obuma would have to admit that a spending freeze now is still $3 to 4 trillion too much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies