Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:32 AM

922 posts, read 1,907,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The sound of a gun powerful enough for bears, will travel farther than a whistle. Three shots in quick succession is a widely understood and accepted signal of needing help, in the wild.
Three shots in the "wild" usually means a lousy shot. Up in Glacier area its a dinner bell for the griz. As for sidearm 44mag is MINIMUM. I have carried a 45mag in a desert eagle. Too many people go for a walkabout thinking there is no potential for a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 12:30 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,949,825 times
Hand guns over .44 mag are out of my range of experience. Some of these I never heard of. I don't research some guns I would have no use of in NH, and that's why.

Punching paper with a cannon I hold in both hands just isn't much fun unless I get a shot or 2 for free in someone else hand cannon. LOL
I have been bitten on a rare occasion by a paper target sometimes a thumbtack

Some how I don't think that counts.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:13 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,809,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
There is no such thing as a semi auto loader fit for grizz IMO, and maybe 3 handguns over all, that are. It won't do anyone a bit of good to fire 3 shots and find out loading the next 3 shots because a empty gun is no better than a rock, that you just clanged the dinner bell for bear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
It'll be nearly impossible to stop a bear with hand gun except for a select couple (.50 eagle, 457mag, 44 automag maybe). Pretty much hand cannons as anything less would probably just PO the bear.
these posts remind me of an article i read a few years ago in a gun magazine. two editors were coming back from a day of hunting when a bear charged them. they each had a weapon that used the SAME cartridge, the .44 special. one was a handgun, the other a rifle.

since the rifle had been put in the cabin they were using, it was not immediately available, but the handgun was. the guy with the handgun fired six rounds, hitting the bear each time. the bear ran back into the woods, but very quickly came back charging again. by this time the second guy had gotten his rifle, and he also put six rounds into the bear killing it. when they examined the bear after wards, they found that the rounds from the handgun had NOT penetrated the bears hide, just mushroomed against it and stuck in place.

perhaps a .50 desert eagle, or the .454 casul rounds MIGHT penetrate a bears hide, but if i were out in the wilderness i want a fairly heavy caliber rifle at hand.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:36 PM

46,260 posts, read 27,064,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
these posts remind me of an article i read a few years ago in a gun magazine. two editors were coming back from a day of hunting when a bear charged them. they each had a weapon that used the SAME cartridge, the .44 special. one was a handgun, the other a rifle.

since the rifle had been put in the cabin they were using, it was not immediately available, but the handgun was. the guy with the handgun fired six rounds, hitting the bear each time. the bear ran back into the woods, but very quickly came back charging again. by this time the second guy had gotten his rifle, and he also put six rounds into the bear killing it. when they examined the bear after wards, they found that the rounds from the handgun had NOT penetrated the bears hide, just mushroomed against it and stuck in place.

perhaps a .50 desert eagle, or the .454 casul rounds MIGHT penetrate a bears hide, but if i were out in the wilderness i want a fairly heavy caliber rifle at hand.
.500 S&W (Pistol Cartridge)...should do the trick...

ANd a 44 special is not the same as a 44 magnum, 2 different animals...

There is a book from Alaska, about grizz attacks....evidently there is proof that a .300 Magnum bounced (not literly but you get the picture) off a bears head....I believe the bear was charging, and the guy took a shot at the head...

Old 01-28-2011, 01:54 PM

18,351 posts, read 26,473,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
Three shots in the "wild" usually means a lousy shot. Up in Glacier area its a dinner bell for the griz. As for sidearm 44mag is MINIMUM. I have carried a 45mag in a desert eagle. Too many people go for a walkabout thinking there is no potential for a problem.
It's taught to anyone who's taken hunter education classes...it's widely known and understood. Of course, it'll likely take more than one set of 3 to grab the attention of anyone nearby. The response if you hear someone's 3 shots is one shot. I am aware of examples even up there where it saved someone's life.

It does take a large handgun to take on a grizzly. .500 S&W would be my choice. I've taken black bears with a .44, I don't want to try it on a grizzly.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:49 PM

well I can't really say I Know, but I do know one way or another some power is lost in any semi auto to run the machine it is. The wheel gun looses some power in the gap, but the wheel gun tends to loose a bit less. It is my opinion that the escaping gasses on a wheel gun end up creating a log jamb of gasses sealing the rest in and for a bit more power in all else equal.

.454 , .500 would be with in reason picks for SD against a grizz I GUESS.

I can find out if any one wants to send me $$$ to play bait

Old 01-28-2011, 02:59 PM

50,226 posts, read 46,975,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
This guy claims to be a military trained paratrooper? Probably it is more likely he fell on his head out of bed.

I hate when that happens.

Look at this beast. I've got a bunch of the bigger handgun cals but this thing is scary.

.600 Nitro Express Magnum (http://www.vincelewis.net/56k60magnum.html - broken link)

Old 01-28-2011, 03:04 PM

46,260 posts, read 27,064,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

Look at this beast. I've got a bunch of the bigger handgun cals but this thing is scary.

.600 Nitro Express Magnum (http://www.vincelewis.net/56k60magnum.html - broken link)
I seen that...13 lbs handgun....and it even states that you should use it with an attachable stock...

Old 01-28-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

Yeah you are a far wiser man to NOT own one of those.

The guy shown as I think the maker at a bench looks terrified of the beast himself

I like this line cut off..
The gun is made from super hard 42CrMo4 Tungsten steel"
That CrMo to me says CroMagnon

Old 01-28-2011, 06:01 PM

23,802 posts, read 24,078,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobee View Post
There was a killing by gun i remember, must have been 20 years ago.
Teenager died from gunshot wound to his chest | Leicester Mercury | Find Articles at BNET
Leicester Mercury, Oct 25, 2010

Your perception of time is WAY off. They say that's the first to go when you start losing your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies