Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 04:19 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times

Advertisements

Business AND labor agree that building new infrastructure is going to be key in helping our country become competitive in a global economy and in creating jobs. Let's just see if Congress gets the message.

Chamber, AFL-CIO Back Infrastructure Spending In Rare Joint Statement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 04:26 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Business AND labor agree that building new infrastructure is going to be key in helping our country become competitive in a global economy and in creating jobs. Let's just see if Congress gets the message.

Chamber, AFL-CIO Back Infrastructure Spending In Rare Joint Statement

Excellent

Old 01-26-2011, 04:30 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Massive federal government spending to benefit the few.Seems to have become the American way.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Massive federal government spending to benefit the few.Seems to have become the American way.
Federal spending to 1) make us competitive in a global market--our country is falling apart and other countries (and even our own corporations) don't want to invest or build here and 2) get people working.

If they cut the corporate tax rate, we'll get more foreign investment and business development here if we have the infrastructure to support it. That means jobs. It's a win/win.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:45 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Federal spending to 1) make us competitive in a global market--our country is falling apart and other countries (and even our own corporations) don't want to invest or build here and 2) get people working.

If they cut the corporate tax rate, we'll get more foreign investment and business development here if we have the infrastructure to support it. That means jobs. It's a win/win.
You must be kidding.
Federal deficit spending and the resulting devaluing of our currency is killing recovery and creating the disadvantage we have versus other economies.
We need less, not more.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You must be kidding.
Federal deficit spending and the resulting devaluing of our currency is killing recovery and creating the disadvantage we have versus other economies.
We need less, not more.
If we don't build infrastructure, we don't get business. Adapt or fail. I agree that we have to cut every ounce of fat in the federal budget, but you're cutting your nose off to spite your face if you don't deal with the fact that our problem is our lack of business development here as much as the deficit. Big business is doing great and hiring--off shore. We need to bring business--big and small--back to this country, and it's going to mean investing and moving us into new and emerging technologies, and putting the infrastructure in place to sustain those businesses.

I live in a rural area 15 miles outside of a major metro area and just got DSL--I had to use satellite for internet (my business depends on it before that). It's insane.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Why of course they would.
Government money freely flowing into unions to fix bridges and roads.

How many more bridges to nowhere do we need ?
How many more half built bridges do we need ?
How many more hike and bike trails do we need ?

Old 01-26-2011, 05:06 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
If we don't build infrastructure, we don't get business. Adapt or fail. I agree that we have to cut every ounce of fat in the federal budget, but you're cutting your nose off to spite your face if you don't deal with the fact that our problem is our lack of business development here as much as the deficit. Big business is doing great and hiring--off shore. We need to bring business--big and small--back to this country, and it's going to mean investing and moving us into new and emerging technologies, and putting the infrastructure in place to sustain those businesses.

I live in a rural area 15 miles outside of a major metro area and just got DSL--I had to use satellite for internet (my business depends on it before that). It's insane.
Lack of business development is a direct result of our anti-business climate in this country and excessive corporate taxation and regulation, not a lack of infrastructure.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Lack of business development is a direct result of our anti-business climate in this country and excessive corporate taxation and regulation, not a lack of infrastructure.
They want to cut the corporate tax rate, which is the best idea I've heard yet, as long as they stop some of the loopholes and cut the pork. We really do need to take a look at the way we tax US companies doing business abroad, and the tax avoidance strategies many businesses take doing multi-state work. We're subsidizing some industries that aren't helping us to grow and move forward--why?

I agree on the need for tax reform, but without improved infrastructure, we're still not going to be able to support the business we have, let alone encourage new business development. Like I said--my area JUST GOT dsl--it's ridiculous. High speed internet service is a simple thing that should be pervasive in this country. No one's talking about a "bridge to nowhere." That's why projects like that have to be taken out of the earmark process where they turn into pork for a district, and strategically planned instead.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:40 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Cut needless environmental regulations, and strip power away from the litigation lawyers that delay infrastructure projects by years and millions of dollars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies