Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:36 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh and pray tell,, what did seniors do prior to 1966(the creation of medicare)?????
What happened over 45 years ago isn't really relevant to the situation today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 11:43 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And some do. But that was not the point I was making or expecting you to make, but the idea floated by free marketeers that government should stay out of the way of private enterprise. Do you not subscribe to that idea? Should government engage in regulating the private enterprise?
And none do, there is no serious person on the right who thinks there should be no government. Please point out who you think expouses this view.

The government should have very minimal involvement in business. Yes regulation is needed in certain areas. I certainly do not think American businesses are under regulated.

Quote:
And how is this any different from the point I just made? You don't want the government to do anything related to health insurance, or do you? Your suggestion on vouchers sounds like the only role government has to play is to make it easier for private enterprise to have customers.
I am not sure where you get that form anything I have written, the government already regulates health insurance. I am in no way proposing not regulating insurance companies. Although some regulations like prohibiting selling health insurance across borders is anti competitive and drives costs up.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:51 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
The government should have very minimal involvement in business. Yes regulation is needed in certain areas. I certainly do not think American businesses are under regulated.
Could you provide the areas/things that the government should regulate?

Quote:
I am not sure where you get that form anything I have written, the government already regulates health insurance. I am in no way proposing not regulating insurance companies. Although some regulations like prohibiting selling health insurance across borders is anti competitive and drives costs up.
But federal government doesn't regulate within a state. And yet there is little to no competition? What is the basis of this idea that removing government control over basic structure of health insurance will promote competition when it is not visible in local markets when it should? In most states, it is all about one or two mega companies that cover most of the populace. You would think more would?

The reason it needs to be regulated is simple. To protect the people. Isn't federal government authorized (and expected) to regulate interstate commerce? Lack of that authorization was one of the major reasons the US Constitution was written to replace the Articles of Confederation. States, on their own, were abusing each other. And who suffers in the end? The people, the very same people whose rights the government is expected to protect and defend.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:58 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
What happened over 45 years ago isn't really relevant to the situation today.
why not

why wouldnt the relevance of what the people did for nearly 200 years matter

Old 01-27-2011, 12:00 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
I wonder if any republican politician would present that argument to those tea partying seniors holding the sign "keep government off my medicare" .

I will surely look forward to it.
I could care less about a republican or a teapartier, or even the liberals

I am a constitutionalist

I say end medicare and medicaid

Old 01-27-2011, 12:03 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I could care less about a republican or a teapartier, or even the liberals

I am a constitutionalist

I say end medicare and medicaid
You never did answer the question about what happens to someone who cannot afford to pay.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:10 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Could you provide the areas/things that the government should regulate?
No, as with your objection to discussing education it is out of the scope of this thread, and also it isn't relevent.

Quote:
But federal government doesn't regulate within a state. And yet there is little to no competition? What is the basis of this idea that removing government control over basic structure of health insurance will promote competition when it is not visible in local markets when it should? In most states, it is all about one or two mega companies that cover most of the populace. You would think more would?
Well you are pointing directly to how some regulations are anti competitive. The reason there are few health insurance companies is because there are 50 states that have different regulations, that is a daunting hurdle for all but the biggest companies. Standardize the regulations and allow one insurance to be sold in all states. Can't do that now due to regulations.

Quote:
The reason it needs to be regulated is simple. To protect the people. Isn't federal government authorized (and expected) to regulate interstate commerce? Lack of that authorization was one of the major reasons the US Constitution was written to replace the Articles of Confederation. States, on their own, were abusing each other. And who suffers in the end? The people, the very same people whose rights the government is expected to protect and defend.
Who said insurance companies don't need regulations. This is a strawman argument.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:13 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
Because we have an aging population and something needs to be done. I'm not sure this it but this kill grandma rhetoric is why we'll never get anything done to fix social security or medicare. The fear mongering must stop.

grandma is going to make some sacrifices, which is sad but we all are. None of these entitlement programs are sustainable.
Why don't I just go ahead and cut my wrists now for the greater good of the country as a whole. After all, I am just a drain on society......right ? On second thought, you go first.......

Old 01-27-2011, 12:14 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
I agree with rationing as long as republicans are for it.

They'll ration more fairly than dems!

JK

But, if rationing means only providing for those who invested into it, I'm all for it!

Old 01-27-2011, 12:16 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
The Democrats Were always going to ration Health-care.
They just never admit it.
With nationalized health-care Rationing is a forgone conclusion.
Thanks to the Democrats Health-care Rationing is in every Americans future.
Unless the Republicans can repeal and replace.
absolutely true ! Medicare benefits are already cut to the bone.....to go much lower and it won't make any difference because doctors are dropping Medicare now.
Keep your promise, Obama, and go after the fraud....remember, it was to mostly fund the new universal health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies