Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:17 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
I'm not trying to stop them.

But I do think it's stupid to even open that door when there is nothing to suggest that racial integration is responsible for poor academics.

My view is stop putting skin color and ethnic labels on people, and stop arranging and categorizing them that way. "Equal" sure is a difficult concept apparently.
I guess you were making the same point...it's a lazy Sat for me, sorry for implying your weren't. Been teaching 12hrs a day 5 days a week for the past month, so excuse some limitations on comprehension (ironic because I teach reading comprehension to ESL students).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 06:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Genders!!

YES, Boys and girls together tend to cause trouble.

Look at the academic excellence in all girls schools and all boy schools.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:32 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Math proficiency at 27%, that is an embarrassment.

Obviously the status quo is not working. Pairing up these kids with educated, successful, and articulate men and women who LOOK like them does have a positive value experience IMO. The principle should be applauded for trying to do what is best for the students. And it's good to see educated black men and women trying to inspire kids. It may not work perfectly, but it's a start. Until the PC police can come up with a better alternative, then what is the harm in trying?
Koodos to you. I agree.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:34 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,667,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
I guess you were making the same point...it's a lazy Sat for me, sorry for implying your weren't. Been teaching 12hrs a day 5 days a week for the past month, so excuse some limitations on comprehension (ironic because I teach reading comprehension to ESL students).
No problem. I looked back at my post and it's somewhat convoluted.

My point was that some of the folks saying that the NC school should be integrated, are some of the same folks who approve of the PA school segregation.

In other words, they are saying

NC school segregation is bad.

PA school segregation is good.

They need to make up their minds.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Genders!!

YES, Boys and girls together tend to cause trouble.

Look at the academic excellence in all girls schools and all boy schools.

It keeps coming back to that, doesn't it.

So, what is the justification for segregation by skin color also?

Old 01-28-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Then a question arises. Is the segregation really needed? Why not just have more mentors? If mentors are not present, will there be gains. I think that the mentoring is the key of this scheme.
yes, I wonder what possessed this woman to pull that page (racial seg.) from history.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
It keeps coming back to that, doesn't it.

So, what is the justification for segregation by skin color also?
Read the OP link and you'll see.
27% passed math. They have tried everything.
Now they have successful mentors that will meet with the kids for 6 minutes a day. Successful Black mentors meeting with Black kids who are failing in hopes that it MIGHT inspire the Black kids to do better in school.

Is 6 minutes a day of a Black man talking to Black students too much segregation for you ?

Put your PCness in your pocket and look at the reality of the situation.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Read the OP link and you'll see.
27% passed math. They have tried everything.
Now they have successful mentors that will meet with the kids for 6 minutes a day. Successful Black mentors meeting with Black kids who are failing in hopes that it MIGHT inspire the Black kids to do better in school.

Is 6 minutes a day of a Black man talking to Black students too much segregation for you ?

Put your PCness in your pocket and look at the reality of the situation.
I disagree that public schools have tried everything. So you are saying that the only option left is to return to a practice from our past, which supposedly didn't work back then either.

I think you misunderstood something. I am not the PC police...I am calling them out on this hypocrisy.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
I disagree that public schools have tried everything. So you are saying that the only option left is to return to a practice from our past, which supposedly didn't work back then either.

I think you misunderstood something. I am not the PC police...I am calling them out on this hypocrisy.
Do you have any proof of that ? This is ONE school here and one experiment.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Do you have any proof of that ? This is ONE school here and one experiment.
From the article:

Quote:
The idea originated with Angela Tilghman, a McCaskey East instructional coach who was alarmed at the poor academic performance of the school's black students.
Interpret it however you wish. She became alarmed and pulled segregation out of...I dunno...her lower orifice?

Anyway, you are attempting to lead the discussion away from the fact that you cannot justify returning to a past practice that so many fought to end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies