Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 03:27 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times

Advertisements

Seems to me true tolerance includes tolerating the intolerant. If enough people aren't upset with Chick-Fil-A to boycott 'em, so be it. If they suffer financially for their stance, so be it. I have no problem with homosexuality but I'd still eat ay a Chick-Fil-A restaurant. I imagine the owner(s) of the chain realize that they're taking a risk in being so honest and forthcoming about their attitude. That's actually rather courageous of them. Let the market decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 03:29 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Would you not as proudly tell your daughter that they have the same right to stand up for what they believe in, as much as you have the right to stand up for what you believe in?

Whether I agree or disagree with their stance, the fact is, they have the right to believe in what they want.
Absolutely and I have explained the whole picture to her. They have the right as do I.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
The only problem is that if the "consequences" turn out to be positive (conservatives start eating there so as to more than offset the politically correct), it will anger some of the progressive nutburgers to the point where they will seek satisfaction from lawmakers, since their worthless boycott was ineffective.
You see it as worthless not because it is but because you hold a different opinion.
Seeking relief through looking to lawmakers is also an acceptable means of making your opinion (whatever side you are on) known.

However in this situation, I don't see what law should or could be made to change what they are doing. You can't make them welcome same sex partners, if their belief is against that, they have that freedom, the law also can't make a company open on a day that they prefer to stay closed.

Your indulging in slippery slope logic which is a fallacy, also par for the course for people of your ilk.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
I like their food. My political opinions don't interfere with my appetite.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Reread my post.

If that's bigoted, you misunderstand the word.

Everyone has their place in the world, but not everyone has a right to everyplace in the world.

I'm glad to see that you are teaching your child to be kind and accepting.

My children were taught to respect everyone, including the unborn, but to stay away from those with unorthodox lifestyles.
Just because I am a Democrat does not mean that I follow right down the line with other Democrats. I also have taught my daughter to think of the unborn as a life that should not be treated casually as so many do today.

Your making assumptions about me based on a label...

I don't consider people who are living a life that us true to who they are, be it gay, straight, lesbian or transexual as an unorthodox lifestyle to use the word you do. Its only unorthdox because people who are limited in their understanding in life choose to be against them.

My Mother was very upset when I was in my 20s and I was in the wedding of a friend who was marrying a black man. Not much different then the prejudice that gay, lesbians and transexuals are being treated now. It will eventually change, we evolve. No matter what part of the society wants, we are human beings, history has shown that over time, we will change.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:45 PM

270 posts, read 522,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Seems to me true tolerance includes tolerating the intolerant.
A point that isn't made enough. There is such a campaign right now against so-called "bullying." Sure, bullying is wrong, but all that silly campaign is is society sending the message to thinking people that they better shut up and forego their freedom of speech. It's not about protecting abused women or innocent babies or even about the chubby kid in school. Homosexuality is what it's really about, and what the media is trying to get across.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:46 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
What exactly to you mean that "not everyone has a right to everyplace in the world"?

Let me guess...only those with conservative Christian values have a right to everyplace in the world.
No. Not at all.

Guess again.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:49 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Just because I am a Democrat does not mean that I follow right down the line with other Democrats. I also have taught my daughter to think of the unborn as a life that should not be treated casually as so many do today.

Your making assumptions about me based on a label...

I don't consider people who are living a life that us true to who they are, be it gay, straight, lesbian or transexual as an unorthodox lifestyle to use the word you do. Its only unorthdox because people who are limited in their understanding in life choose to be against them.

My Mother was very upset when I was in my 20s and I was in the wedding of a friend who was marrying a black man. Not much different then the prejudice that gay, lesbians and transexuals are being treated now. It will eventually change, we evolve. No matter what part of the society wants, we are human beings, history has shown that over time, we will change.
If the gay, lesbian transgendered lifestyle wasn't depraved, why was it hidden from decent society for so long?

Some changes are not good.

BTW...I didn't say that you were pro-choice.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:04 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
They are actually FOR families, in the Biblical sense.

This does not mean that they are against gays.

That's the problem with the left.

They cannot understand that concept.
Thing is, not all families fit that 'biblical sense'.
Gays have families, too, ya know - parents, siblings, even children.
That seems to be the problem with the right - they simply cannot seem to understand that there are many different kinds of families or, if they get it, they don't accept it.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:06 PM

270 posts, read 522,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Thing is, not all families fit that 'biblical sense'.
Gays have families, too, ya know - parents, siblings, even children.
That seems to be the problem with the right - they simply cannot seem to understand that there are many different kinds of families or, if they get it, they don't accept it.
There is only one kind of family. I have yet to see a gay "have" a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies