Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 02:10 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
There are many possibilities, but anything such as US civil war, world economy collapse, World War or a lack of food are just a couple of causes that can bring on a world upside down. It has happened in history many times and the next time may be the end of the world as we know it since we are all so interconnected so to speak.
Casper
Looks like he'll be the one coming over begging for help. Also looks like he wouldn't even be able to with stand a normal power outage! LOL
It's always best to prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. We can't sit around and hope for our fearless leader to do anything to help, if and when it comes to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 03:37 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
On my way home today I stopped by the store for extra batteries, water, and staples. I heard on the news that power outages are a possibility due to freezing rain. We also moved a bunch of wood close to the back door.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
You would then be part of the problem we are preparing for.
Glad to be of assistance.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:06 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Everyone should at least plan for extended periods of no public water or electricity. Stock up some rice and dried beans and plan on how to cook it. Have a gun and some ammo for those who don't prepare and come to loot your house for provisions. Don't expect phone service or 911 response. If you require medication for blood pressure or diabetes, etc., stock at least a one year supply.
Well I usually have rice and beans in the pantry and have a gas bbq in the back yard but no guns. I don't think I could survive alone in my house for a year with no intervention, and I really don't know anyone else who could do that either. Maybe if you lived on land you could hunt, and have well water.. but not suburbian living. I think I could go 30 days though. And how do you get a one year supply of drugs? I can only get 30 days worth.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well I usually have rice and beans in the pantry and have a gas bbq in the back yard but no guns. I don't think I could survive alone in my house for a year with no intervention, and I really don't know anyone else who could do that either. Maybe if you lived on land you could hunt, and have well water.. but not suburbian living. I think I could go 30 days though. And how do you get a one year supply of drugs? I can only get 30 days worth.
Even then..30 days might be hard with no sewer system working.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:42 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Even then..30 days might be hard with no sewer system working.
People who live in areas where they would be on a private water well typically have septic system, I don't know of many areas where you can get city sewer services but not city water.

I'm on a private well and septic system with enough backup power to make my own water for months.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:53 PM

7 posts, read 11,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Here is the facts of life: IF you have not prepared yourself, and not prepared your family, etc, then you are fools. The police, the fire dept et al are not equipped, nor prepared for a MASSIVE disaster. It is YOUR responsibility to take care of yourself and, if you do not, shame on you. When it hits the fan, and it will, be it a natural disaster or whatever, you people will whine, cry, *****, and moan. You will blame everyone but yourselves, for not taking of yourselves.

The government can only take on so much and do so much. MOST of it is YOUR responsibility. However, keep eating your twinkies, ho-ho's, Jack in the Box, and not exercise. Keep thinking you are the greatest thing since sliced bread and find out, when the 9.0 earthquake hits, it will take you hiking 20+ miles to get to safety; but wait, you can't? You are to fat? Well, oh well, I won't come save you and neither will anyone else.
This is awesome, and your right. fools will cry help me help me when all it took was sense enough to stock up, prepare for any crisis . I see this all the time when a natural disaster hits and there with out food water etc. Stupid is as stupid does. it just takes a little effort in making sure your self and your family is cared for. but the comments I see here are so dumb. " real survivalists do not need to prepare' ok that was the dumbest. Crap hits the fan, your kids are crying hungry, hope you remember your words of " hey, I got a new tv all is well "
Im a single mom preparing by my self on my limited income. 1 years food so far and other things I will need to care for my family. if you lost your job you would be ok with using the food you stored right? I mean any fool can buy extra and put it away, and extra propane, extra blankets, extra meds just in case of anything happening. stop thinking your going to get help if crap hits the fan, no one is going to save you or "rescue you" pull up the big boy pants and do it your self!

Old 02-02-2011, 12:04 AM

7 posts, read 11,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I can, I have diebetes to, and have gotten 1 years insulin already. I am purchasing in 3 weeks a solar fridgerator just for it. I also live in the city, be it small I plan on using this if need be...
or many other options. also there are these..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPg-n4czGE0

get your self extra canned goods, ( spam and the like) all the foods you like now just get some for now and some to store. dried goods, and such and powdered milk. also extra personnel items you will need. ( body wipes etc.
start putting water in 32 liter bottles, and or what ever you can come up with. I have 55 gallon barrels with pump full and lots of 5 gallon water storage containers also. you can also get a burkley filter to do what ever water you have close to your home, be it river water etc. there the best for making bad water ok.
its not hard if you start and just do what you can and keep at it.
buy some lanterns, candles, get your self a large propane tank and a little buddy heater, I have 4 different stoves to cook on, gas, propane, colman fuel, and butane and Im in the process of getting an alcohol stove. I have been picking up the fuel for these every week for a while now stored in my garage. Im getting into solar now so that I can get my batteries charged, my cell phone, and my ipod

Old 02-02-2011, 01:13 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
On my way home today I stopped by the store for extra batteries, water, and staples. I heard on the news that power outages are a possibility due to freezing rain. We also moved a bunch of wood close to the back door.

We did the same. We filled the wood box (DH has a couple month's supply cut) and I got the lamps ready. Plenty of drinking water stored (we get it from a spring). We picked up kerosene and fresh groceries on Monday, and we still have our pantry stocked with non-perishables like rice, pasta, beans, powdered soup and canned milk. Guess this is a trial run for when the SHTF.

I also picked up a large galvanized wash tub at an estate sale last fall. DH asked, "What do you want that for?" I said, "Just in case." He didn't argue.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:31 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Paranoia on a sliding scale. Some have more money than others to accommodate their hysteria that's all.

I guess you have never been through any type of natural disaster or civil unrest.

I experienced the 1992 LA riots and the 1994 Northridge earthquake.

The aftermath of the earthquake was worse. I lived 3 miles from the epicenter, we had no electricity for a few days.

So no going to the supermarket, no ATM, no putting gas in the car.

Now this was just for a couple of days and yet many people were SOL.

During the 92 riots the supermarket shelves were emptied out. There was a curfew for a few days and lines in the supermarkets stretched all the way to the back. And this was way out in the suburbs, 25 miles from the riots.

Doesn't hurt to keep some food and cash on hand regardless in the even of any emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies