Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 05:23 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times

Advertisements

Real survivalists don't need all your fancy gadgets and stockpiles of food, weapons, and ammo.

So, I do nothing.

Besides, I made a pack with the leptrons from star sector alpha gamma eplison, and they have given me protection in case of an emergency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 05:31 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Here is the facts of life: IF you have not prepared yourself, and not prepared your family, etc, then you are fools. The police, the fire dept et al are not equipped, nor prepared for a MASSIVE disaster. It is YOUR responsibility to take care of yourself and, if you do not, shame on you. When it hits the fan, and it will, be it a natural disaster or whatever, you people will whine, cry, *****, and moan. You will blame everyone but yourselves, for not taking of yourselves.

The government can only take on so much and do so much. MOST of it is YOUR responsibility. However, keep eating your twinkies, ho-ho's, Jack in the Box, and not exercise. Keep thinking you are the greatest thing since sliced bread and find out, when the 9.0 earthquake hits, it will take you hiking 20+ miles to get to safety; but wait, you can't? You are to fat? Well, oh well, I won't come save you and neither will anyone else.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:49 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,421 times
Gotta go with Phil on this one...

If you have even the most BASIC pre-calculator math skills and remember Katrina at all, you'll be able to come to the conclusion that the government services you now take for granted will be, at the very least, seriously compromised by the sheer number of people needing them in the event of civil unrest or any other disaster.

Will you be in the group who, when you twist the faucet and the water doesn't come on, there's little food in the fridge, and the power has gone out, sit there patiently thinking "can't be much longer..." while you hear looters outside and you can't get through to 9-1-1?

Remember the "just-in-time" distribution system for the commodities you use every day and pretend you live in a hurricane zone even if you don't. Prepare accordingly to save YOURSELF because chances are very good that you'll have to.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:51 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
I think most people have formulated a plan for any type of disaster.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:43 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Gotta go with Phil on this one...

If you have even the most BASIC pre-calculator math skills and remember Katrina at all, you'll be able to come to the conclusion that the government services you now take for granted will be, at the very least, seriously compromised by the sheer number of people needing them in the event of civil unrest or any other disaster.
With regards to Katrina, folks weren't sitting around waiting for the government to save them, they just didn't believe that the storm was that dangerous. It happens every hurricane season, regardless of income, or location. Despite GOVERNMENT ordered evacuation notices folks seem to think that it just won't be that bad. For the VAST majority of folks, they head for the hills and this applies to hurricanes, brush fires, 100 year floods or whatever. But be that as it may, perhaps if you climate change deniers, shrinkers of the very agencies charged with disaster forecasting and relief, were to take a decidedly different attitude, perhaps we could head off the fall of civilization or at least put together the kind of government that can actually be relied upon to maintain it.

Of course that would deprive you of your Book of Eli, Rapture loving, Mad Max fantasies, so what the hey! But remember this, if and when there comes a time for a world wide collapse of "civilization", unless you have a Wal-Mart, a small nuclear power plant and enough guns & ammo to hold off thousands of other folks with guns and ammo (if you think that rural survivalist have a corner on the gun market you are incredibly naive) your survival is going to 99/100ths luck, and 1/100th preparation.

But having said that, despite your apocalyptic day dreams, I would like to remind you that the human race has been remarkably, ingenious, at adapted in order to maintain some semblance of a cooperative society through whether in the face of mini-ice ages, historic droughts, regional floods (not talking about that Noah thing) volcanic eruptions, pandemics, and all sorts of social upheavals. This is why there are some 7 billion, give or take a few one hundred million here or there, of us humans roaming around this 3rd rock from the sun.

So let me suggest the following; The most important preparation that we all can take is to remember that we are all in this together, no man is an island, or at least not for long. So instead of stressing about how you will protect your little island, perhaps you should give a bit more consideration about how you will try to provide leadership, since you know so much about survival, and a cooperative spirit to help your fellow man from devolving into some pre-prehistoric chaos (of course you realize that even prehistoric man found ways to cooperate when faced with mortal danger).

Just a thought... or two. Maybe it was three.

Last edited by ovcatto; 01-29-2011 at 07:01 PM..

Old 01-29-2011, 07:03 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Another one with a mini-wal-mart, a nuclear power plant, the arsenal of the free world, an ark and a rocket ship pointing at Mars.

That should about cover it.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:06 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Another one with a mini-wal-mart, a nuclear power plant, the arsenal of the free world, an ark and a rocket ship pointing at Mars.

That should about cover it.
Do you think you are making unfounded assumptions? I do.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto;17638018

So let me suggest the following; The most important preparation that we all can take is to remember that we are all in this together, no man is an island, or at least not for long. So instead of stressing about how [I
you[/i] will protect your little island, perhaps you should give a bit more consideration about how you will try to provide leadership, since you know so much about survival, and a cooperative spirit to help your fellow man from devolving into some pre-prehistoric chaos (of course you realize that even prehistoric man found ways to cooperate when faced with mortal danger).

Just a thought... or two. Maybe it was three.
That's what I'm hoping for rather than scenes from "Deliverance".

Old 01-29-2011, 07:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
I think that assumption is greatly optimistic and very unrealistic. I suspect as percentages of the population goes that less than 10% have a plan in place and have actually made preparations. Try striking up a casual conversation with someone and ask when the last time they held a home fire drill was or if anyone in their family is up to date on CPR/First Aid certifications. How many have more than a week's supply of water/food/additional medication. Who among them allows their vehicle to get below 1/2 tank of gas or keeps an extra 5-10 gallons in the garage? etc..., etc..., etc... .

Old 01-29-2011, 07:12 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Quote:
No, most people haven't formulated a plan for anything. In fact, most people do not even know what day it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies