Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:01 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,015,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You tell me. I didn't invent the damn program. Black folks or minorities aren't the inventors of the program on ANY level. We didn't write any legislation that pertains to it. Hell, i doubt that any of us were even in the room. Ask the people who came up with it.

What i do know is that if it ended, no one would be the wiser. And the employment landscape would be pretty much unchanged. AA has certainly caused some mistrust and bad feelings...mostly on the part of SOME white people. But i really don't care about that. If it wasn't that, then it would be something else.
Fair enough. Let's abolish Affirmative Action then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 11:01 AM

58,774 posts, read 27,129,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I will repeat, once more for emphasis, it is not obvious that the poster meant "most eligible person". If the poster had meant that, s/he would have said that. 'Man' is not a 'catch all' term in 2011, except for male chauvinists, who then fiercely defend themselves when they're caught. Unfortunately, a lot of hiring managers think the most eligible person is virtually always a man.
Are we feeling inferior today?

Old 01-30-2011, 11:02 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,528,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Post #22 contains:

IDK = I don't know

and

probably = probably

Post #22 was only made because YOU asked a question in post #5. Not because I care about the same things you care about - namely, where to get statistics - that's your hang up. IDK means I don't know because..... drum roll... I don't know where to find what YOU want Re-read (especially the parts in purple) or go to the eye doctor. You're the one trying to control the discussion by saying stats stats stats stats stats stats stats. And guess what - Unless your name is God, I am not scared of you or your beligerent vibe. And I know your name's not God.

Why the hostility? If you take issue with being challenged in a discussion, why participate? Your now choosing to take it personal
Quote:
I am not scared of you or your beligerent vibe.
its really not that serious. When did I post you need to be scared?

Try staying away from the topics that will actually turn into a debate, your mood will be a little better.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:03 AM

56,989 posts, read 35,136,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
+1, which is why I continue to ask the question. Is AA still widely used TODAY? No one can seem to muster up a definitive yes or no only bias assumptions and speculations. Oh well.
+1

They can't answer because they have no earthly idea. Most people know not a damn thing about AA except that it makes for a nice conversation amongst crybabies. Hell, some BLACK PEOPLE will defend AA to the death and 9 outta 10 of us don't even know what the hell it is or how it works. We don't even know if it's ever been effective.

What i do know is that blacks have largely moved into the middle class. Could some of it be due to AA? I suppose so. But does that mean that our gains came at the expense of whites? HELL NO!! Nothing that we have came at their expense...period. The whiners can cry all they want to, but if they aren't where they think they should be, then they have only themselves to blame, and not the prosperity of a minority.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I think the most qualified people would get hired for positions (regardless of race/color/ethnicity) rather than those hired soley to fill a quota system. I think the best thing this country can do for itself when it comes to societal health is to drop the hyphenated identities, the race cards, the gay cards/gender cards, etc... and just be citizens with personal accountability and character!

Life, How do we know this is not happening today? I'm actually being sincere when I ask the question. How do we know that companies are using AA as a determiniation for hiring and not necessarily hiring the best person who happens to be minority for the position and then reporting to the government that they hired based on AA just to appease them? I don't know just asking the question.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:05 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,584,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Except when the hiring manager isn't white.

It really is amusing debating with libbies!
It is amusing.....and sometimes frustrating...but mostly funny.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:08 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,871,425 times
Quote:
Life, How do we know this is not happening today?
Because there really are quota systems in many areas, especially government work be it state or federal. Perhaps you thing Justice Sotomayor was lying?

Sotomayor: 'I am an Affirmative Action Baby' - The Note

Quote:
I am a product of affirmative action. I am an affirmative action baby. Born in the South Bronx… My test scores were not compatible to that of my colleagues at Princeton and Yale,” she remarked at the Practicing Law Institute, a continuing legal education organization. “Not so far off the mark that I wasn't able to succeed at those institutions."

56,989 posts, read 35,136,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
Fair enough. Let's abolish Affirmative Action then?
I don't give a damn what you do with it. Why are you trying to make me the arbiter? If you want to get rid of it, then do it. You're asking me in a fashion that makes me suspect that you think i'm getting something in exchange for it's existence. I'm getting nothing. And the existence of the program has taken nothing from you.

In other words, it's meaningless. If it exists or not, it makes no difference except that it makes some folks suspicious and even angry. But like i said, that's not my problem. If it's not AA, then they'd be whining about something else.

3,264 posts, read 5,582,547 times
Quote:
Try staying away from the topics that will actually turn into a debate, your mood will be a little better.
Well please just don't insinuate, as you did, that the suggestion in post #22 was me trying to tell you where to find the true-blue end-all-be-all stats when *I* never asked for stats to be brought into the mix. That's all. And why would anyone stay away from their own thread?

Old 01-30-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Because there really are quota systems in many areas, especially government work be it state or federal. Perhaps you thing Justice Sotomayor was lying?

Sotomayor: 'I am an Affirmative Action Baby' - The Note

I actually added more to my post. But that was during the 20th century, if I'm not mistaken the late 70's-80's when AA was definitely needed. But what about today? How do we know that AA is still Widely used today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies