Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 03:24 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

The ice has been collected in an eight year project by scientists and engineers from 10 European countries. Analysis of ice cores shows how temperature changed in the past, but also how the concentrations of gases and particles in the atmosphere varied.
The first results confirm that over the last 740,000 years the Earth experienced eight ice ages, when Earth's climate was much colder than today, and eight warmer periods (interglacials). In the last 400,000 years the warm periods have had a temperature similar to that of today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 03:24 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Yup. It is amazing...one almost never sees a liberal posting some silly belief...

One always sees some conservative posting their perception of what liberals believe.

It is why I tend to remain anti right wing...It is not that the liberals are right...it is simply how wrong the right wing insists upon being.

This is a classical example.

There is for instance a somewhat ecologically oriented group who are concerned with the long term safety of genetically engineered food. They would like it proven safe which is of course pretty much impossible. So what we need is to be careful but then proceed...with good discussion and care about the criteria.

Another...killing a full term child who has taken a breath is murder. Whether delivered naturally or taken by abortion. Taking a morning after pill and aborting a mass of cells is not. In between those two cases there is vast uncertainty and much relegious and ethical posturing. Such decisions are best left to the mother and her conscience.

That warming exists appears accepted by all. That it is partially or heavily man caused is the subject of much discussion. The present balance of the evidence suggests that a good part is man made. The prognosis is however unclear....is warming a disaster or good? Again strong caution. This is one where one best not be wrong...but it is a long way from a settled issue. And it is clearly not a fraud or such as the right contends.

The problems of the underclass are clearly with us and remain. Welfare may not be a very good solution. I would think that a determined assault involving a lot of resources might actually crack the problem...but who favors spending a huge sum on the underclass? It is difficult to believe that starving the underclass and its children would help. So we get welfare by default.

Guns are a tool that enables violence and increases its efficiency. I pretty much support concealed carry with few limitations but that is because i believe it impractical to remove the weapons from our society in a reasonably complete way. No guns would be best...but failing that let us spread them wide. I do believe there is truth to the view that an armed society tends to be a polite one.

Which is a prime example of how outlets like fox news are spreading their ultra-right wing propaganda. They say "the liberals" want all these outrageous things or views, when in fact the only ones spouting them are the propaganda ministers themselves.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:26 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Pew Survey.

Overwhelming majority of US scientists reject conservative ideology.

Only Six Percent Of Scientists Are Republicans: Pew Poll

The highest IQ's, the most highly educated minds, reject the fraud, myths, and deceptions that come from right wing propaganda.

"Conservatism" is a sham. The only reason it exists is to keep low IQ, low educated whites, from waking up and realizing how corporate owned America is giving them the shaft.

Look no further than the OP's points of argument to know how well it's working......He has no clue whatsoever.

Last edited by padcrasher; 01-30-2011 at 03:36 PM..

Old 01-30-2011, 03:34 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
Don't believe abortion in later stages of pregnancy is murder?
What a bunch of horse pucky
Are you saying that all liberals are in favor of this...

Old 01-30-2011, 03:38 PM

Still think that welfare as practiced will actually help people after years of not working?

Yes I wonder why "liberals" would think that welfare would help people?

2010 Highest standard of living countries. Human Development Index

Norway 0.876 ()
Australia 0.864 ()
Sweden 0.824 ( 6)
Netherlands 0.818 ( 3)
Germany 0.814 ( 5)
Switzerland 0.813 ( 7)
Ireland 0.813 ( 2)
Canada 0.812 ()
Iceland 0.811 ( 8)
Denmark 0.810 ( 9)

Biggest governments in relation to GDP

Denmark 50.0 48.2
Sweden 49.7 46.4
Belgium 46.8 43.2
France 46.1 41.9
Finland 43.6 43.1
Norway 43.6 41.0
Austria 43.4 42.8

You don't need to be a scientist to notice the pattern here....The nicest places to live in the World have the highest tax rates.......Just the opposite of what the right wing know nothings keep whining about!

Old 01-30-2011, 03:44 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The ice has been collected in an eight year project by scientists and engineers from 10 European countries. Analysis of ice cores shows how temperature changed in the past, but also how the concentrations of gases and particles in the atmosphere varied.
The first results confirm that over the last 740,000 years the Earth experienced eight ice ages, when Earth's climate was much colder than today, and eight warmer periods (interglacials). In the last 400,000 years the warm periods have had a temperature similar to that of today.
What's your point?

Old 01-30-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
What's your point?
His point is that he is missing the point.

Scientist readily admit the earth is goes through cycles of warming and cooling.

He thinks he's on to something....lol

Old 01-30-2011, 03:50 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
I normally don't rant, but I've always heard about how liberals are just following science while the ignorant conservatives are blindly obeying their religion and thus cannot be as objective as liberals.

If thats the case, then how come liberals:
Are against genetic engineering that can improve our food, despite no evidence of harm from it?
Believe manmade global warming is real, despite evidence to the contrary?
Think that minorities cannot compete with whites and need special protection?
Still think that welfare as practiced will actually help people after years of not working?
Think that guns cause violence?
Don't believe abortion in later stages of pregnancy is murder?

And so many other liberal opinions. Any other examples or reasons for these beliefs?
1. Genetic food.

Could cause harm to the entire food population. For instance, a gene is activated in corn that will protect it against a disease. Sounds all well and good, but that gene activation also poisons the corn so it can't be eaten. Then one grain of pollen gets to another corn field, then another.... Sooner or late all of the corn on the planet is left unedible. I'm all for genetic engineering and radiating food, but it should be taken with EXTREME care.

2. Global warming.

There is evidence both for and against man made global warming. The jury is still out, and anyone who claims they know one way or the other that aren't Phds in climatology are just in the audience telling people they know how the magic tricks are done. Leave it to the experts, and trust what they tell you, period.

3. Affirmative action

I'm actually for affirmative action to be repealed, and I know many "liberals" who are the same way.

4. Welfare

Welfare has a lifetime maximum of 5 years, unless proven mentally or physically unable to work in which case you can qualify for disability. Republicans really need to get off of the welfare argument, it was reformed, it doesn't cost you that much money and there are loads of other programs that can be cut that aren't vital to some peoples survival. Bad things happen to people, and no one in the richest country in America should go without housing or food, simply because they've fallen on hard times for a short while.

5. Gun violence

Guns can cause violence, but that doesn't mean most liberals want all guns gone. Thats like saying all Republicans want to repeal social security. While there is a small minority of folks that feel that way, the vast majority don't understand why someone needs a 30 round magazine for legal reasons.

6. Abortion

How about the conservatives that feel that abortion is wrong even in the first week, cases of rape, and severe birth defects? Most liberals don't support late stage abortions, I'd like to see the facts on that if you don't mind.

In other words, you're making large assumptions while lumping large groups of people who disagree with you on small matters into groups like "liberals". I'm a conservative, small government through and through, but because I'm prochoice, think limited welfare is ok, and that I want my food safe that I'm a "liberal".

Labels are a bad thing.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:50 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,484 times
I don't understand what this has to do with science.
------------------------------------
I would assume you'd support something based on the premise that doing it would work. That's why I say it's not scientific to support these things.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:53 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
I don't understand what this has to do with science.
------------------------------------
I would assume you'd support something based on the premise that doing it would work. That's why I say it's not scientific to support these things.
I need a scientist... or at least a linguist to help me decipher the meaning of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies