Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:32 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I don't understand why you can't recieve in-depth coverage of the political turmoil that is presently engulfing Egypt.

In the UK and Europe we have had extensive coverage of the revolt against a 30yr dictatorship.

I believe a domino effect that started in Tunisia is spreading throughout the middle east, everything hinges on what happens in Egypt over the next few days.
Media in America generally doesn't carry Al Jazeera English station because American corporate media believes Americans are too stupid and unqualified to decide for themselves. Besides, we can't have the views of people who often oppose US supported governments in the Middle East speaking their minds on our TV's, we might get the wrong idea.

Many Middle Eastern nations block Al Jazeera because despite being broadcast out of Qutar, it is relatively free press and ironically this is probably the same reason we don't get the channel either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 10:34 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Here's to hoping the Egyptian military can step in and set up an interim government until elections can be held. If not, we might see the Muslim Brotherhood (which spawned Hamas and Al Qaeda) take control.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Here's to hoping the Egyptian military can step in and set up an interim government until elections can be held. If not, we might see the Muslim Brotherhood (which spawned Hamas and Al Qaeda) take control.
Egyptian protesters, soldiers join in solidarity
Quote:
Jubilant pro-democracy demonstrators and gun-toting soldiers rode together atop tanks into this capital city's main square Saturday in an extraordinary show of solidarity, even as President Hosni Mubarak took steps to engineer a possible transfer of power to one of his closest confidants.
Egyptian military seems to have joined the protesters.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:41 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

The Egyptian military is highly regarded by most Egyptians. It's also on very friendly terms with the US and Israel.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:47 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Well, the casual person might be confused ... TV talking heads may be reading their confused scripts ... but you can bet there are those who know precisely what is going on. Again, no accidents occur on the world stage of any particular significance. SOMEONE is behind this escalating unrest ... and the motives may be so far removed from the general radar, that it appears random.

Mubarak has been in power for 3 decades, so it is unlikely that this was something spontaneous ... without instigation/organization from the outside. And since the US/British intelligence are renown for such behaviors all over the world, that's the most likely culprits.

Purely speculating here, this could be one of those contrived shock wave events to be blamed on Muslim fundamentalists supported by Iran, for the purpose of further alienating Iran in the eyes of other precarious middle eastern governments who have their own Muslim fundamentalist opposition elements.

It's really hard to say ... since we don't have access to truthful information .... and though Al Jazeera seems more forthcoming ... don't think for a moment that they operate in a purely independent fashion. Al Jazeera, in my mind is "controlled opposition" to western news sources.
I must respectfully disagree with your conclusion that the turmoil in Egypt is all the result of a deliberate manipulation staged by some nefarious global cabal. The revolt in Egypt is instigated by a lack of jobs, rising food prices and a perception by the people that they live under a repressive government. The people don't know what they want, but they do know what they don't want. The fact that the Obama administration has acted like a deer, frozen in the headlights speaks volumes that the Administration had no clue Egypt was about to come down at this time and so quickly, and belies your international conspiracy theory. But then again, we will never know if you are right or not. Vague conspiracy theories have a way of never being able to be disproved as they are like trapping fog in a bottle.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:47 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm leaning that way too. But I'm still confused and unsure. Weird. Why can't we get accurate information?
You are a week into a fast breaking and fluid situation, nobody is going to have a lock on accuracy, but you have been given some good sources to keep up to date.

Here are a few more:

http://www.alarabiya.net/english.html

Informed Comment: Thoughts on the Middle East, History and Religion

Foreign Policy - the global magazine of economics, politics, and ideas

Old 01-31-2011, 10:53 AM

512 posts, read 861,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
There are a few misconceptions embedded in the mainstream world view presented to the American public that will prevent you from understanding some of these complex geopolitical events. Consequently, the mainstream news reports will do nothing but further confuse.

The first truth must be understood .... that NOTHING significant happens on the world stage that is not anticipated, and very few things that aren't planned.

The worldwide financial meltdown is one of the key elements that must first be recognized as a systematic and planned event, and there are very complex issues and unseen forces at play. The geopolitical alignments such as those forming between China, Russia and India ... the simmering conflict between India and Pakistan ... the destabilization of Pakistan by covert US actions ...US activities in Afghanistan and Iraq ... all of these issues are not just random events ... and assumptions made under the false pretenses of a flawed world view fed to the public by the US propaganda mainstream media makes this stuff impossible to decipher. But a more accurate understanding allows one to see the patterns, and recognize the larger picture.

First of all, just because the US and Israel have enjoyed a cozy relationship with Hosni Mubarak, doesn't mean he hasn't fallen out of favor, or hasn't somehow outlived his usefulness. This happens quite frequently and for varied reasons with western puppets/pro western dictators .... Saddam Hussein is one such example. So US intelligence operations could be behind the current destabilization in Egypt ... we've already done so in Afghanistan, Iraq and Pakistan .... there are also credible reports of western involvement in the incident in Mumbai terror events.

The Anglo-American-British control structure operates on chaos and destabilization around the globe ... and though I personally could only guess as to the motive for such action in Egypt ... one primary motive could be the creation of another worldwide energy crisis, given the Suez Canal's strategic value in that arena. Rather than allow for Europe and the rest of the western world to figure out the malfeasance of the globalist banker gangsters imploding their economies ... a good old fashioned energy crisis by those Middle Easterners driving oil to $200 a barrel could be used as a scapegoat for the inevitable collapse of the Euro, followed by the US Dollar in the short term, which at this point is a forgone conclusion ... with the only question being the timing. Could occur by the end of 2011, and certainly by mid 2012.

We've already witnessed the wholesale looting of the American economy by these international gangsters facilitated by our own bribe taking traitors in congress and the white house, so this naive belief that the US government would be acting in the best interests of America and the American people is the first myth that needs to be understood .... once you come to terms with that ... an overthrow of the Egyptian government, and a disruption of oil transport through the Suez Canal by anti-western forces could then be understood as actually playing right into the globalists hands. They are doing their best to destabilize the world economy ... what better icing on the cake than a Middle East thrown into chaos and skyrocketing oil prices?

I know this makes no sense to the majority ... but the fact remains, those running our government currently, have no loyalty or concern for America ... and anyone that has been paying attention can surely understand that much.
Thank you for your explanation, and it does make sense. I do have a question for you, though.

Is the US involvement a result of a particular political party or is there an overreaching group, one that encompasses both sides, that's in charge? The reason I ask is because I'm confused on the timelines of events which had to have happened in prior administrations, and then carried over to the current administration. Some will say it's our military, but I feel this is much bigger than that. After all, there's a lot of money and power at stake.

I see some people thinking and hoping this will work out for the people. Respectfully, I think it's naive to assume what's happening will end up being good for the local people. Sure we want to believe democracy is winning over there, but that's not the reason all these leaders are behind this uprising. Money talks, and I think we Americans would be smart to educate ourself to who in our government is really behind international interest.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:59 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

That is not what i read in that articles or what I have seen in media from Cairo.It seems they have not moved either way really. They are not sqaushing the protesdtors but certainly haven't join in the protest.They really haven't acted except to belatedly guard certain building.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:02 AM

512 posts, read 861,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I must respectfully disagree with your conclusion that the turmoil in Egypt is all the result of a deliberate manipulation staged by some nefarious global cabal. The revolt in Egypt is instigated by a lack of jobs, rising food prices and a perception by the people that they live under a repressive government. The people don't know what they want, but they do know what they don't want. The fact that the Obama administration has acted like a deer, frozen in the headlights speaks volumes that the Administration had no clue Egypt was about to come down at this time and so quickly, and belies your international conspiracy theory. But then again, we will never know if you are right or not. Vague conspiracy theories have a way of never being able to be disproved as they are like trapping fog in a bottle.
But don't you think events of the past several years have fed into this perfect storm for the protestors? I won't go as far as saying most or any of the events leading up to the uprising were systematically calculated, but all it takes is a broad study History and culture to be able to predict certain periods of time when economies will fall and people will revolt. I'm only self taught it these matters and even I was able to predict the economic fallout over the world. So if I were a world leader of some type and I wanted dominoes to fall into place, I'd use History and current events to my advantage.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I think logic and knowledge of capablities has a place in this discussion.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That is not what i read in that articles or what I have seen in media from Cairo.It seems they have not moved either way really. They are not sqaushing the protesdtors but certainly haven't join in the protest.They really haven't acted except to belatedly guard certain building.
Well from what I'm gathering by a larger consensus of articles is that the Egyptian military is exercising a great deal of patience, restraint, and tolerance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies