Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:57 AM

37,747 posts, read 40,817,184 times

Advertisements

Please don't give me a line that poor people "need basic stuff" in times of unrest because we all know that isn't what they steal. Plus, in some instances when they loot they are stealing from business people from their own neighborhoods. I'd say they act like animals but I don't know of any animals that do it. Will be interested to see what "punishment" the guys below get compared to if the same thing happened here.

"Nine men broke into the Egyptian Museum in the early hours of yesterday, taking advantage of damage caused to the building’s security by a fire in the neighbouring headquarters of the ruling National Democratic Party. They were caught by police and a crowd of civilians while carrying out the skulls of two mummies and two statues estimated to be more than 2,000 years old. One statue, believed to be of Tutankhamun, was broken into two pieces by the thieves, although officials said they hoped to be able to repair it. Zahi Hawass, chairman of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, said: ‘They tried to attack and rob from the showcases of King Tut, but they failed. These people are criminals, they are not true Egyptians. The nine men were caught carrying skulls and two statues, one of which was broken. But the army are now guarding the museum and all the museums are now safe.’"

Egypt protests: U.S. advises all Americans to leave and 30,000 Brits are stranded | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 06:07 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,529,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Please don't give me a line that poor people "need basic stuff" in times of unrest because we all know that isn't what they steal. Plus, in some instances when they loot they are stealing from business people from their own neighborhoods. I'd say they act like animals but I don't know of any animals that do it. Will be interested to see what "punishment" the guys below get compared to if the same thing happened here.

"Nine men broke into the Egyptian Museum in the early hours of yesterday, taking advantage of damage caused to the building’s security by a fire in the neighbouring headquarters of the ruling National Democratic Party. They were caught by police and a crowd of civilians while carrying out the skulls of two mummies and two statues estimated to be more than 2,000 years old. One statue, believed to be of Tutankhamun, was broken into two pieces by the thieves, although officials said they hoped to be able to repair it. Zahi Hawass, chairman of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, said: ‘They tried to attack and rob from the showcases of King Tut, but they failed. These people are criminals, they are not true Egyptians. The nine men were caught carrying skulls and two statues, one of which was broken. But the army are now guarding the museum and all the museums are now safe.’"

Egypt protests: U.S. advises all Americans to leave and 30,000 Brits are stranded | Mail Online
I've never understood why looters would steal anything other than food.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:11 AM

499 posts, read 403,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Mosy sources on the ground implied that it wasn't the protesters who were mainly doing the looting.

This could have been so much worse.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:22 AM

5,346 posts, read 4,031,450 times
Because most crisis are a result of when the masses have nothing...

Old 01-31-2011, 07:24 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,306,469 times
What is the issue here?

Didn't the Egyptians invent looting anyway?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:26 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,144,579 times
looters should be shot.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:33 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,569,414 times
This does not sound like looting but is likely to be an opportunistic art theft. After all you cannot eat mummies (at least not without a LOT of catsup). I doubt if these guys had any idea who they were going to sell these things to.

Looting is just a lot of people stealing what they cannot afford. Consider it unorganized mining of premade property or stock market manipulation.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:27 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,062,155 times
Unhappy OK I am crying now

Egyptian looters destroy 2,000-year-old mummies in bid to steal King Tut's treasures...

Pillage Egyptian antiquities warehouses...

I am just sick about this. Why couldn't the military or the police at least protect their national treasures! It's not like it would be easy to sell these artifacts, unless they melted down the gold, God forbid!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:29 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,306,469 times
And to think Egypt wanted artifacts back in the last few weeks from New York and Rome.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:32 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,862,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Egyptian looters destroy 2,000-year-old mummies in bid to steal King Tut's treasures...

Pillage Egyptian antiquities warehouses...

I am just sick about this. Why couldn't the military or the police at least protect their national treasures! It's not like it would be easy to sell these artifacts, unless they melted down the gold, God forbid!
The article says troops were sent The rest are busy protecting their dictator. FYI a lot of the early looting was actually police dressed in civilian clothing.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies