Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 10:39 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

Okay, so you want this to be a thread on Mormonism instead of about the skin color of Egyptians. If you insist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
ISTR that there were Middle Easterners in the Book of Mormon who came to America in ancient times.
That is correct.

Quote:
I know that there were black Mormons in Joseph Smith's time, but Brigham Young barred blacks from the Mormon Church.
Blacks have never been barred from belonging to the Church and we have always had integrated congregations. Black men, however, were not permitted to hold the priesthood. This was a policy that Brigham Young introduced.

Quote:
I know this was done for political reasons not white supremacist reasons
If you know the reason for the ban, you're ahead of me.

Quote:
...but you have to admit that passage in the Book of Mormon certainly encourages Mormons to be racist.
Other passages in the Book of Mormon encourage the exact opposite. The same holds true for the Bible. You can take a stance on pretty much any moral issue you want and find a verse here or there which supports your position.

Quote:
(I don't think all or even most Mormons are racist but there is a disproportionate number of Mormons who are racist....)
I think you'd have an extremely difficult time proving that one.

Quote:
The Mormon Church has changed their doctrine on other issues, for example, in the 19th century it was OK for Mormons to drink beer, today it's not.
That's the nature of continuing revelation. Joseph Smith received a revelation in 1838 banning alcohol and tobacco. Prior to that time they were considered acceptable. After that time, they weren't.

Quote:
Ancient Egypt had a mixture of many different races, including black Africans. It had no concept of "race". Nefertiti was black, for example, but there were other kings and queens who were white or brown. OTOH, ancient Nubia, its neighbor to the south and whose history was very tightly interwoven with ancient Egypt, was a black country. Most Egyptians today are white mainly because the peoples who invaded Egypt over the centuries were white, but there are certainly dark brown Egyptians, many of the inhabitants of southern Egypt and the Nubians of today look "black".
Oh, so you do want to talk about the OP after all! Well, it looks like I agree with what you have just said so we're on the same page there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
What about the priesthood, which was denied to black people until 1978?
That's correct. Blacks were not permitted to hold the priesthood for quite a number of years (although they were in the Church's earliest years). In my own opinion, the ban was extremely unfortunate and not instituted by God. I am old enough to recall vividly the day it was lifted. It was one of the most memorable days I can ever remember.

Quote:
I think it's a little disingenuous to claim that the Mormon church has been open an accepting for all these years when the priesthood, an essential element of the church, was banned for black men until Kimball (the church's president at the time) overturned it. Blacks might have been allowed admittance into the church, but they were most certainly excluded from essential elements of it.
It's not the slightest bit disingenuous to respond to an inaccurate statement by correcting it. The statement was that Blacks were not allowed to be members of the Church until 35 years ago. If the statement had addressed the priesthood, I would have responded differently. Disingenuous is one thing I am not.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:51 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Why are we discussing the Mormons?

Old 02-01-2011, 10:55 AM

49 posts, read 57,001 times
Is the US white or black or brown? The answer to that question is the about the same as in egypt.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:56 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,280 times
Young said blacks bore the "mark of Cain" and implied they were inferior to whites. Blacks were banned from church temples and denied full church blessings, including the sacred ceremonies which Mormons believe bind families for eternity. Black men were excluded from the priesthood, which gives LDS men ecclesiastical authority.

You all should start a new thread, it would be interesting.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Why are we discussing the Mormons?
Beats me. All I know is that I will defend my faith whenever it comes up for discussion, even though I will always make a point of saying that it's off topic (which I did in this case).

Old 02-01-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Young said blacks bore the "mark of Cain" and implied they were inferior to whites. Blacks were banned from church temples and denied full church blessings, including the sacred ceremonies which Mormons believe bind families for eternity. Black men were excluded from the priesthood, which gives LDS men ecclesiastical authority.

You all should start a new thread, it would be interesting.
It would be a matter for the religious forum, though, and it has already been discussed there.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:46 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Arabs are brown, not white.
Arabs range from the whitest white to the blackest black. Just like Hispanics/Latinos, another cultural group that is mistaken for a racial group.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:03 AM

344 posts, read 462,539 times
Yes, the ancient Egyptians were White and their descents (the Copts, since the majority of muslims in Egypt are descendants of the Arab occupiers) still are.

This is how a real Egyptian looks (and always has looked) like:

Old 02-09-2011, 03:14 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Just out of curiosity....

Was Egypt always White? or used to be black?

Egypt is located in Africa there has been much controversy about who used to be Egyptian.
Moses was most possiblly Black.

And this is not really contraversial, because - hey - who gives a flying fig?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies