Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 01:33 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
NO ONE feels that they need a gun in their home to protect themselves.... that paranoia just does not exist and believe me it is a great feeling.
Such a great feeling that Theresa Mays (the Home Secretary) just started a $30M initiative to combat knife, gun and gang crime. Seems to me that the UK Home Secretary is a little afraid of the levels of violent crime, don't you? Certainly the people I know back home (I'm an Ex-Pat Brit with dual nationality) are very concerned about the rising violent crime levels, seems like they're not the only ones. Perhaps that's because in the last year there have been two manhunts for murder and mass shootings one involved the killing of 12 people all shot, and 11 injuries, the other was the killing of one with a shotgun and 2 other injured by the same shotgun. Strange how tough gun laws didn't save those 13 people. I also know several members of my family and friends from the UK who have mentioned that they envy the fact that I CAN own firearms here for protection, but they can't or even if they could, they still couldn't legally use them for protection.

By the way, from the other thread you mentioned that you lived in a community without guns, so how do you come to the conclusion that
Quote:
having a gun in the home often causes more problems than they solve
I just wondered, since that's like saying goldfish are more of a problem, when you don't own a goldfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 05:39 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
I did a little test the other night with my 9 year old....took my 9mm and laid it in the floor under the coffee table...(Unloaded of course) you could see it, but you had to take a second look...my son seen it...walked away...I walked out of the room...heard my son go back into the living room....he walked around the long way around (we have 2 enterances to our living room) and said .....dad.....your pistol is laying on the floor....

I said thank you son, for not picking it up and playing with it....

The moral of the story.....teach your children....the right way.....my son has been shooting since he was 6....as I've said before a coke can at 50 yards does not have a chance with my son and he ruger 10/22....

I want the chance to protect my self from people thathave the will to hurt others....if you don't thats fine...BUT DON't bring up some BS to restrict my gun rights...

Cause guess what....the CRIMINALS don't care....

Old 02-03-2011, 06:35 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm not saying that everyone should have a gun going to the door.

I'm saying that people who do carry a gun on them aren't psychos, and there are reasons for firearms.

I've read numerous threads where some people have advocated the abolishment of hand guns in the United States. Just offering a story that proves that guns, used responsibly, can save lives also.

Well for the record... 2 shot .... 1 saved..... mind you the loss of the 2 don't probably have a value for the one saved....

I bet 2 parents got to find out the truth of what they raised....

Old 02-03-2011, 06:47 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Blah blah blah. You're not going to statistic me into wanting a dangerous weapon in my home. Period.

Like I said, I wouldn't have opened the door in this man's situation. Period.

I have had someone try to break into my home, called the police, and they got there before the perps could get in.

The police are there specifically for my protection. Don't dare call me a coward for relying upon professionals who have been trained in responding in exactly such a circumstance, and who choose to put themselves in that position. [Expletive refrained from]

Keep your weapons if you want them. I'll just keep my doors locked.

In most instances the police would arrive to document and clean up the mess after you had been overcome and killed.

1. Get a dog- you are far less likely to be vandalized with a dog
2. Guns are not dangerous. Idiots are dangerous. Far too many people (I have witnessed this at public shooting ranges) are far to cavalier with weapons and have not had proper instruction. Guns are perfectly safe in the right hands. All my kids are adept at safely handling, shooting, and cleaning thier weapons.
3. Shooting is a fun and intersting hobby. I personally only hunt pheasant and hogs, with the majority of my shooting being target shooting at a military style range. The range where I am a member is made up of mostly cops (the police force and swat teams train there) and active duty military and national guardsmen. I have learned alot from the swat team regarding different shooting techniques and find it to be a great escape from my work (physician).

Most people who do not like guns have never shot them. I have taken many "novices" to the range who suddenly became very enthusiastic about guns and started training and shooting on thier own. I am sure that you would like it, as it is a good time (my pretty 20 year old daughter target shoots all the time and has gone hog and pheasant hunting).

Old 02-03-2011, 07:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
How many of the anti-gun crowd are seriously more afraid of feeling guilty about shooting someone than they are of being shot? I have some advice for these people. You can get over the guilt but you never get over being dead.

Please remember that defending your family, your friends and yourself is the right and proper thing to do. It is part of your duty as a member of civilized society to be able and willing to defend people from criminals. This is why, as a card carrying left wing liberal, I am so vehemently opposed to any governmental weapons control laws.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:41 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Those are not illegal wars.
The US is a signatory of the UN Charter and according to US **Constitution any international treaty ratified becomes supreme law of the land.

Since the UN has not authorized either of those wars, they are illegal domestically and internationally. They are not even wars, but 'continous operations'.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:56 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
The US is a signatory of the UN Charter and according to US **Constitution any international treaty ratified becomes supreme law of the land.

Since the UN has not authorized either of those wars, they are illegal domestically and internationally. They are not even wars, but 'continous operations'.
Iraq signed the Cease Fire Agreement in 1991. In that agreement, it said that the U.S. had the authority to resume military action if the agreement was broken, which it was (the Iraqi army firing at U.S. planes in the no-fly zone, for example). The 1991 Gulf War never really ended; there was just a cease-fire.

Also, other countries assisted the U.S. in Iraq and Afghanistan... were those countries "breaking the law," too?

But this is not the subject of this thread. I just wanted to correct your error.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:50 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Then its only another bullet to take out a a teacher. Not to mention, if you keep it in a lock box, there's plenty of time to get it out in which you're vulnerable.

The policy of allowing teachers to be armed simply doesn't make sense. Fear of armed teachers won't deter someone who would go into a school and start firing. We've discussed the possibility of students going for a gun the teacher has. If the gun is in a lock box, then the teacher better hope for time to get the key, unlock the box and get the gun. If the shooter is in the room, the teacher has no chance of getting the gun. If the shooter is wandering the halls, they can just shoot through the window thats in the door and the teacher is out of the way.

The potential risk for potential benefit simply doesn't add up to make it a logical policy.
Thinking like this has been repudiated. A gun may not be the end-all of stopping tragedy, but they have been used plenty to curb the violence from spreading. Having someone armed means another variable to consider and a fighting chance to stop the assailants.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:59 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Do you think the intruder is going to send you a letter telling you when he is going to creep into your home so that you can be prepared or shout out as he creeps into your room " hey i'm here, go get your gun" ...absolutely not... the first time you will be aware of his presence is when he drags you from your bed or is on top of you. I bet you also don't want to be staring down the wrong end of your own gun. Home invasions occur in every country but in countries with tough gun laws the invader does NOT feel it necessary to bring a gun with him. You have a much higher chance to defend yourself from a unarmed invader than a armed one. When the house has a good alarm system.... unarmed invaders really do think twice before entering. In countries with tough gun laws.... NO ONE feels that they need a gun in their home to protect themselves.... that paranoia just does not exist and believe me it is a great feeling.
I really do understand how a woman living alone has fears but having a gun in the home often causes more problems than they solve.
I have a dog......she WILL hear someone trying to break in.....her warning will give me the time I need to grab my gun.......maybe enough time to call 911 too. In the mean time, I don't have to worry about whether the police will get here in time to save me, I have the means to save myself.....a gun.

And in your scenario.....the police wouldn't do me any good either, would they?

An alarm system? Most of the alarm systems around here depend on your phone line.....which can easily be cut. Snip, snip. And..........a gun is a lot cheaper than an alarm system and the monthly fees involved.....a lot of people cannot afford alarm systems. What if you are a renter? Is my landlord required to install an alarm system for me? NO.

How would I have a chance to defend myself from an unarmed invader? What would I do? Stab him, hit him with a baseball bat, beat him up? If I got close enough to him to do that....he would just take the weapon away from me, and probably use it on me. That is what is good about a gun.....I do not have to get close to him to defend myself.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:05 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
So, we should all have a gun with us even as we simply open our doors?
If there are strangers at the door, it's not a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies