Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 04:20 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,371,023 times

Advertisements

MINNEAPOLIS — Fartun Warsame, a Somali immigrant, thought she was being a good mother when she transferred her five boys to a top elementary school in an affluent Minneapolis suburb. Besides its academic advantages, the school was close to her job as an ultrasound technician, so if the teachers called, she could get there right away.

“Immediately they changed,” Ms. Warsame said of her sons. “They wanted to wear shorts. They’d say, ‘Buy me this.’ I said, ‘Where did you guys get this idea you can control me?’ ”
Her sons informed her that this was the way things were in America. But not in this Somali mother’s house. She soon moved them back to the city, to the International Elementary School, a charter school of about 560 pupils in downtown Minneapolis founded by leaders of the city’s large East African community. The extra commuting time was worth the return to the old order: five well-behaved sons, and one all-powerful mother.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/10/ed...10charter.html

it's an interesting article about charter schools.Do you think it's a good thing ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 06:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Choice is ALWAYS a good thing. Imagine if she had no choice ?
She doesn't want to bring her kids up like that.

Good for her.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
They wanted to wear shorts? Shielded from American culture? Hahahahaha.
No, I don't think it's necessarily a good idea if you want to assimilate. If you want to be a separatist it sounds ideal.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:46 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
MINNEAPOLIS — Fartun Warsame, a Somali immigrant, thought she was being a good mother when she transferred her five boys to a top elementary school in an affluent Minneapolis suburb. Besides its academic advantages, the school was close to her job as an ultrasound technician, so if the teachers called, she could get there right away.

“Immediately they changed,” Ms. Warsame said of her sons. “They wanted to wear shorts. They’d say, ‘Buy me this.’ I said, ‘Where did you guys get this idea you can control me?’ ”
Her sons informed her that this was the way things were in America. But not in this Somali mother’s house. She soon moved them back to the city, to the International Elementary School, a charter school of about 560 pupils in downtown Minneapolis founded by leaders of the city’s large East African community. The extra commuting time was worth the return to the old order: five well-behaved sons, and one all-powerful mother.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/10/ed...10charter.html

it's an interesting article about charter schools.Do you think it's a good thing ?
Sounds to me like she needs birth control more than anything. Just what we need in this country. 5 more third world thinking Africans.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They wanted to wear shorts? Shielded from American culture? Hahahahaha.
No, I don't think it's necessarily a good idea if you want to assimilate. If you want to be a separatist it sounds ideal.
More like not giving in to the American consumerism so quick.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:14 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Sounds to me like she needs birth control more than anything. Just what we need in this country. 5 more third world thinking Africans.
Don't be a racist xenophobe now

Old 02-02-2011, 11:51 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,371,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
You need these kids to save Social Security

Old 02-03-2011, 10:11 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
Heavens! They wanted to wear shorts. Those evil Americans were trying to mess up her perfect little Somali solider boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies