U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 10:32 AM

4,899 posts, read 4,533,202 times
Default If Pre Existing Conditions Can't Be Denied Coverage Why Buy Insurance?

I hope I'am wording this in the best way based on how I'am understanding this new health care reform law.

If people with pre existing conditions can't no longer be denied coverage then wouldn't this cause many people to only buy health insurance after they've gotten sick or injured? What's the point of the mandate? I mean why have a mandate to get people to buy health insurance before hand if they can't be denied coverage anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 10:33 AM

20,062 posts, read 8,401,993 times
The mandate was to help protect the insurance companies from this very problem.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:48 AM

31,356 posts, read 17,690,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I hope I'am wording this in the best way based on how I'am understanding this new health care reform law.

If people with pre existing conditions can't no longer be denied coverage then wouldn't this cause many people to only buy health insurance after they've gotten sick or injured? What's the point of the mandate? I mean why have a mandate to get people to buy health insurance before hand if they can't be denied coverage anyway?
Let me ask a simpler question, are you going to buy this insurance while on the way to the hospital?

I suppose it would be possible, you could just Google health insurance, feed in your credit card number and hopefully the rid will be long enough to get a confirmation before being admitted.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:38 AM

4,899 posts, read 4,533,202 times
Here's some info on Massachussetts experiance with pre-existing conditions and mandates.

Quote:

Lesson 2: Community rating, guaranteed issue and mandated benefits swell costs.

That's what happened in Massachusetts, and it contributed to soaring premiums. The 2006 reform plan was supposed to solve the problem by requiring that everyone buy coverage or pay a fine of around $1,000. It worked, but only in part: Of the 600,000 uninsured in 2005, around 450,000 are now covered. But a large share of 150,000 who still lack coverage are young residents who choose to pay the fine instead of high premiums.

Insurers are also getting socked by people who sign up for insurance to get expensive care mandated under state law, including hospitalization for childbirth or hip replacements, and then depart once the procedure is completed.

In the federal bill, the fines for going uninsured are even lower than in Massachusetts -- and anyone who can't find an inexpensive plan is exempted from all penalties. Hence the "adverse selection" problem could prove far worse.

5 painful health-care lessons from Massachusetts - Jun. 15, 2010
So is anyone seeing any potential problems coming with the national health care law with pre-existing conditions and mandates? Like in Mass will many just pay the mandate fine instead of getting coverage?

Old 02-01-2011, 11:55 AM

3,644 posts, read 3,545,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Let me ask a simpler question, are you going to buy this insurance while on the way to the hospital?

I suppose it would be possible, you could just Google health insurance, feed in your credit card number and hopefully the rid will be long enough to get a confirmation before being admitted.
Well, the whole law was thrown out and the judge pointed out that the mandate and the rest were tied together and inseperable, for the very reason you mention, so its a moot point. However, if it had been upheld, I imagine there would be a small market for online companies to store your insurance request pre-processed and you could be insured with the click of a single button or a quick phone call saying "activate it". A relative could do it on the way to the hospital. Naturally, such a system would drive all insurance companies out of business which would be fine with Obama because that would give him the state-run single payer system he wanted in the first place.

If Obama was as smart as they weasel Bill Clinton, he would NOT appeal the judge's ruleing and simply let Obamacare fall on to the back pages of history. By the time his re-election campaign started in earnest it would be ancient history and he could campaign on something that would actually be a winning issue for him. Instead this albatross will hound him for the next two years as the House keeps it front page with repeal votes and defunding votes and the courts will keep it alive too with appeals. He will nto be able to set the agenda, which is a fatal position for a candidate seeking re-election to be in.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:06 PM

17,580 posts, read 19,955,756 times
What is the definition of "pre existing condition"? Does it include a gunshot wound? A broken leg?

Old 02-01-2011, 12:08 PM

11,355 posts, read 7,812,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
What is the definition of "pre existing condition"? Does it include a gunshot wound? A broken leg?
Pretty much whatever the insurance company feels like.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:08 PM

4,044 posts, read 3,157,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Well, the whole law was thrown out and the judge pointed out that the mandate and the rest were tied together and inseperable, for the very reason you mention, so its a moot point.
Not exactly. http://graphics8.nytimes.com/package...SON_HEALTH.pdf

The Obama Administration is appealing the decision. Does anyone seriously believe this isn't going to the Supreme Court?

Old 02-01-2011, 12:10 PM

4,044 posts, read 3,157,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
"Many Americans have health-related problems that insurance companies define as pre-existing conditions. A pre-existing condition is a health problem that existed before you apply for a health insurance policy or enroll in a new health plan." Source
Yes, if you had the bad luck of getting shot or breaking your leg prior to getting health insurance, you've got a pre-existing condition.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:12 PM

41,634 posts, read 44,854,191 times
Sure it is with now two judges having ruled against it tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies