Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 02:21 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
As to standard capacity magazines-home defense is precisely the case for them, if things should ever come to that point. If there is a situation that requires dealing with multiple threats, the bad guys don't let you call "time out" while you reload.
Please give me a reasonable "multiple threat" scenario that any American has faced defending their family or home in the last 20 years that would have been better resolved with a high capacity magazine...

Then we can list the mass murders that were aided by the presences of a high capacity magazine....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 02:28 PM

277 posts, read 166,652 times
Quote:
How about you 'splain it for me. What exactly would such a sign say if the situation were reversed?
I don't think I stuttered. I clearly said put yourself in that situation if it were reversed. Not my problem if you couldn't understand what I was getting at.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:32 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
magazines that hold 50 rounds, etc.
If the reviews are good, I'm looking at the Surefire 100 round mag - High-Capacity Magazines provided by SureFire

Old 02-02-2011, 02:34 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campfire View Post
I don't think I stuttered. I clearly said put yourself in that situation if it were reversed. Not my problem if you couldn't understand what I was getting at.
Perhaps you're just obtuse? If the situation were reversed and I was the one that promoted the infringements of my neighbor's rights and restricted his ability to defend himself, I think I'd expect no different than the OP proposed. And if I really believed what I'd be spouting as a gun control promoter, it would make me feel safer. After all, a gun in the house is just going to be turned against me.

Of course, I can't really "put myself in that situation" since I wouldn't do these things.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:39 PM

277 posts, read 166,652 times
Quote:
Perhaps you're just obtuse? If the situation were reversed and I was the one that promoted the infringements of my neighbor's rights and restricted his ability to defend himself, I think I'd expect no different than the OP proposed. And if I really believed what I'd be spouting as a gun control promoter, it would make me feel safer. After all, a gun in the house is just going to be turned against me.

Of course, I can't really "put myself in that situation" since I wouldn't do these things.
No, I'm not obtuse. Are you?
That's about what I figured you'd say. And I'm laughing right now because I know your supposed reaction is untrue. Anything to save face though, right? Thanks for the laugh.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:17 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
We live in a rural area--my family hunts as do most of the people we know. You might be surprised to find out that a good number of people who use guns regularly for recreational purposes or on the farm--who've grown up using them since childhood--don't think it's a good idea for people to carry around semi automatic weapons with an extended clip. That's not being anti-gun...it's using some common sense for a change.
I have a BAR Safari in 338 Win Mag, it's semi-auto and it carries 5 shots in a detachable magazine. Is that acceptable to your hunting crowd? If it had a 10 round mag would that be acceptable? What about a 30 round? Its certainly not an EBR that's for sure, and its a very popular "hunting" rifle.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:30 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
If you ever find out that you have a neighbor who is strongly anti-gun, you should do yourself a favor and get a yard sign!

http://www.endtimesreport.com/images..._not_armed.jpg

I just have to ask though. For all of you gun haters, if your house was being invaded by armed criminals, and your armed neighbor saw them trying to get in your house, would you want your neighbor to just ignore it?
are you retarded? most gun owners wind up shooting themselves or somebody in their own family first before a criminal!

Old 02-02-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
are you retarded? most gun owners wind up shooting themselves or somebody in their own family first before a criminal!
So such a sign in your neighbor's yard would make you safer then, right? A gun is only a way for a homeowner to shoot himself, not a deterrant to crime. You'd be safer if a criminal broke into your house, than if he got himself shot at your neighbors.

OK, gotcha.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:50 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Please give me a reasonable "multiple threat" scenario that any American has faced defending their family or home in the last 20 years that would have been better resolved with a high capacity magazine...
A hypothetical renter once lived in a hypothetical apartment complex that was "invaded" by hypothetical illegal aliens. Next door to the renter, a two bedroom apartment was used by 16 - 18 I.A.s.

His hypothetical cable connection to his apartment was routinely broken, as the hypothetical I.A.s wanted "free Cable TV" with their illegal lifestyle. In the process, their tap would destroy his own "legal" connection to cable service, and required a service call. When this hypothetical renter confronted one of the I.A.s caught in the act, a verbal exchange occurred. Suddenly a crowd of 20+ non-English speaking people surrounded the hypothetical renter, acting threatening, some with ominous bulges under their coats and hands hidden from view. The hypothetical renter felt his life was at risk - but was able to exit the scene with only minor injuries and get back home to his hypothetical apartment.

He soon moved out of this hypothetical situation, far far away from illegal invaders, and heart stopping moments.

None of this really happened. It was all hypothetical. But I suspect that the hypothetical renter was thinking "I wish I had a high capacity magazine submachine gun pistol right NOW!" Because when seconds count, police are minutes away.

This hypothetical situation did not occur in a large south eastern metropolitan area, nor repeated in other metropolitan areas.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I have a BAR Safari in 338 Win Mag, it's semi-auto and it carries 5 shots in a detachable magazine. Is that acceptable to your hunting crowd? If it had a 10 round mag would that be acceptable? What about a 30 round? Its certainly not an EBR that's for sure, and its a very popular "hunting" rifle.
Ya think any anti-gunner here that knows that a .338 Win Mag has 4X the muzzle energy of those evil "high powered assault rifles" every idjit makes such a big deal about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies