Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 12:43 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,571 times

Advertisements

Do not confuse Jews or Jewish experience with Israel. We are a diverse people with many views. Most 'anti semites' I've met are actually Jewish, self deprecating humor is in our blood. Perhaps a defense mechanism throughout the ages of persecution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 12:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomba View Post
Kind of my view on aid to American Negroes, Mexicans (illegal and otherwise), and other freeloaders who EXPECT the rest of us to take care of them because of their race or ethnicity or past injustices.

Of course, Israel is a check and balance to what would otherwise be an all-Islamic region of the world with control over too many resources the rest of the world needs.
Well, as an American Negro, and a middle class tax paying one, how should i feel about the poor non-working white folks that seem to permeate this area i live in? You know, the ones standing on corners with their hands out or signs in their hands saying "will work for food" (even though they won't).

But that's a topic for another thread. BTW...i find it strange that in my 45 years, i've never been called a "negro" to my face, but on C-D, it's all over the place....HMMM.

Anyway, Israel isn't a check and balance to anything. 3 billion dollars a year won't buy a check and balance anywhere in this world. It's not enough money. It's a gesture...no more and no less. They don't need the money, and even if they did, they could raise it within days. And like i said before, the aid hurts them more than it helps them.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:49 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times
Ok, I can agree with a lot of what you say. But what about this issue of never being able to say anything that remotely seems to go against Jewish interests without seeming anti-semitic?

I have never been that way, but I live in a largely-populated Jewish neighborbood. I have my Jewish acquaintance sending me these emails and she even went so far as to send me pics of the Holocaust. I volunteer with primarily all Jewish people who seem to look down on me because I am not rich and don't sit on several boards of directors.

It seems to me like there are two things going on here - both a persecution complex (and maybe it's deserved) and yet a superiority complex. I once made a comment I found a guy attractive to a Jewish male friend of mine and his comment was "but he's a gentile."

So it really goes beyond the topic of foreign aid for me, as well. I am tired of tip toeing around the whole issue. I used to be on a forum where even discussing the whole Jewish-Palestinian issue had its own forum and was, well, heavily moderated.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
The USA supports Israel's right to exist while many of their neighbors want to wipe them off the map.

We also give aid to places such as Egypt.
Supporting their right to exist doesn't make us special. Most countries in the world support their right to exist. And plenty of nations are doomed to live next to nations that would love to wipe them off the map. So what?

Israel will continue to exist...lets stop pretending as if their very existence is somehow threatened. It isn't. No one in their region is capable of wiping their own behinds, let alone Israel off the map. That may have been the case in 1948, but in 2011, it's hyperbole.

Again, Israel would be better off without our aid.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:51 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,015,238 times
No, of course no political topics are off-limits for discussion. If it's political, by its very nature it has to do with society and people need to discuss it.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:55 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I agree it no diffeent that names for people being agisnt anyhting byt those suporting it. Israel support is no different really. Some support ehm and se support the arbas. I saw a documentary last nite on about Vhaplands film the great dictator. At that time the UK governamnt was going to ban it because they thought the german government would be insulted and didn't want problems. I have never understood people thinkig that if you have a enemy that wants to bury you why you would say nothing or do nothing really.Never really works :IMO.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:59 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
This morning I got one of those email blasts from a Jewish acquaintance of mine telling me to ACT URGENTLY and STOP Rand Paul from ending aid to Israel.

Well, truth is, I am for ending aid to all countries at this point. However, why do I think if I say I am against ending aid to Israel I will be labeled an anti-semite? Why must I tip toe around the issue of Israel? Why should this topic be treated any differently than any other topic and yet I think it is? Am I right?

What do you think? Are there just some topics that are forbidden to discuss freely because they are just not PC? I'd like to say what I really think here - but then I'd be called an anti-semite.

Seems it's ok to criticize any other group on the planet, except those who are Jewish, for some reason. Or is this just my perception? Seems to me Mel Gibson could have said anything against any other group and not received the grief he did, but because he singled out the Jews, it became big news.

At any rate, I told this person once before NO more political emails. Real obnoxious of her to send me another, but I guess I'll just hit delete on this one.
Foreign aid to Israel is off limits with quite a few people in this country for one reason......

Because the bible says that for the "end times" to come, that the nation of Israel will have to be reformed. If Israel were to fall to a foreign power, and the country was no more, then the end times prophecy can't come true.

Jews support Israel for obvious reasons.

I have no problem with the Jewish people, but I have a major problem with the United States propping up foreign countries for no good reason other than a religious sentiment.

Israel is our ally, if someone declares war upon them, then invade that country and support our ally. If they are having terrorism issues, which is a police matter, then thats Israels problem, not ours. If Israel can't stand on its own two feet, then it wasn't much of a country to begin with and it should reorganize itself or dissolve in order to stand on its own.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:00 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,981,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Israel will continue to exist...lets stop pretending as if their very existence is somehow threatened. It isn't. No one in their region is capable of wiping their own behinds, let alone Israel off the map. That may have been the case in 1948, but in 2011, it's hyperbole.
I don't see it as very far-fetched at all.

Iran wants a nuclear weapon and the ability to deliver it to Israel.

Many Arab nations give aid to terror organizations who have in their constitutions the desire to wipe Israel off the map.

Quote:
Again, Israel would be better off without our aid.
Again.....you forgot the "IMO".

Old 02-01-2011, 01:02 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
This morning I got one of those email blasts from a Jewish acquaintance of mine telling me to ACT URGENTLY and STOP Rand Paul from ending aid to Israel.

Well, truth is, I am for ending aid to all countries at this point. However, why do I think if I say I am against ending aid to Israel I will be labeled an anti-semite? Why must I tip toe around the issue of Israel? Why should this topic be treated any differently than any other topic and yet I think it is? Am I right?

What do you think? Are there just some topics that are forbidden to discuss freely because they are just not PC? I'd like to say what I really think here - but then I'd be called an anti-semite.

Seems it's ok to criticize any other group on the planet, except those who are Jewish, for some reason. Or is this just my perception? Seems to me Mel Gibson could have said anything against any other group and not received the grief he did, but because he singled out the Jews, it became big news.

At any rate, I told this person once before NO more political emails. Real obnoxious of her to send me another, but I guess I'll just hit delete on this one.
Ask Larry Summers about that.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:04 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Ask Larry Summers about that.
Who is Larry Summers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies