Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:37 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I think you might be surprised. Lots of tea party people don't have any real loyalty to the republican party leadership--in fact, if I can quote some of you here--they think they're liberals and they want them voted out. If the R leadership doesn't come through with some of the major tea party issues, I think it's entirely possible that at least some of those tea party members will break off into a third party--especially since some of them aren't the most politically pragmatic people in the world.
If you're right, I'll be very happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 07:38 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Repub voters will NEVER go third party. Especially if it means that Obama would be re-elected.
I'm not talking about standard republicans--I'm talking about the fringe end of even the tea party. I bet lots of Democrats said that Democrats would never vote third party if it meant a R winning, but Ralph Nader upset the 2000 presidential race for them by winning just under 3% of the vote.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:40 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about standard republicans--I'm talking about the fringe end of even the tea party. I bet lots of Democrats said that Democrats would never vote third party if it meant a R winning, but Ralph Nader upset the 2000 presidential race for them by winning just under 3% of the vote.
You might have a point.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:05 AM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
I fit the model you're talking about--I was a R for 30 years and wound up voting D for the first time partly because of Sarah Palin--I'm very much a moderate, and I think most people are. Here's where you're missing the point--you're looking at the world from a further right perspective, so moderates seem like liberals to you--you'd probably call me a liberal. The far right views the world from their point of perspective, but the rest of the country doesn't. Marco Rubio isn't a moderate--he's both a social and economic conservative. He's anti-Gay marriage & any form of gay rights, strongly pro-life/anti-abortion, against any kind of amnesty for illegal aliens, against stem cell research, has a B+ rating by the NRA, wants to cut SSI...the list goes on. Those aren't moderate positions. His economic positions are straight tea party--again--no where near moderate. I'm not even going to go into Rand Paul.

Again--there are lots of swing voters in this country who don't declare party affiliation--last time they were protesting the economy with their votes--it wasn't an endorsement of the tea party platform. It's historically happened in this country over and over when one party has control of both Congress and the Presidency--the voters just vote for CHANGE--not for a party and a candidate.

Do I think a third party will work for the tea party--absolutely not. Do I think some of them might break off--yes. I think the tea party has a fair number of zealots who aren't interested in compromise--certainly not with the Dem's, and not even with the neoconservative Republicans. They might be cutting off their nose to spite their face, but they'll do it. If that happens, the only way I could see the R's winning is if they ran an EXTREMELY moderate candidate who took all of the swing voters--both those who went D and R last time. Again--if the R's run a really conservative candidate, they'll turn off swing voters. If they run a moderate, they lose the TP. The fact that Obama is straddling the center line makes it even more difficult for them. I think the R's are between a rock and a hard place in two years.
Perhaps you misunderstood, I am not claiming Rubio to be moderate, he is by all means a good solid Conservative,
Of course I looking at it from my perspective as everyone does, but history backs me up. When was the last time a moderate republican won the white house Bush 41, ran on Reagans coatails espousing conservative views, governed as a moderate lost 2 term. Bob Dole ........LOSER!! Bush 43, spent like a liberal, but held the conservative base for the most part into his 2nd term. The fact of the matter is self proclaimed Republican moderates are a minority in the party. Any one that wants to win the nomination will have to run solidly to the right to win the primary while not alienating the middle. Rubio won huge in a three way race with Charlie Christ taking the position you espouse. Christ thought exactly what you are saying , the fact is Moderates in the Republican party have for years thought the rest of the country agreed with them in their distaste for Conservatives, every time they are wrong. note: obviously in liberal states such as mine or Mass where Romney comes from a Conservative must temper his ideology if he wants to get elected.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Here's what I'm guessing at this point. Huckabee won't go third party. Michelle Bachmann might. She can raise money with the best of them and she doesn't seem to have a sense of her own limitations. If Bachmann heads off into unknown territory, Palin may go with her. They both have huge egos...
No way Bachmann runs as a 3rd party, she has too much to lose.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:09 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,789 times
Quote:
That puts an interesting twist on things--nearly half of Palin supporters say they might vote third party if she doesn't get the nomination, as did a third of Mike Huckabee supporters. Even a couple of point shift away from the R's could lose them the election, but it sounds like the far right end of their base isn't in the mood for compromise or excuses from the R party. Interesting...

46% of GOP Primary Voters Who Favor Palin Might Back Third-Party Option If She Isn
We might need literacy tests for voting again. It is utterly disappointing that she has "supporters". The world laughs again.

Alaskan Moose have more brains.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Are you a social conservative or a real Libertarian? The R party will never drop the religious crazies and therefore will never, ever be a true Libertarian Party. If you are anti-abortion, then you are not Libertarian, in my opinion. If you are anti gay marriage, or even worse, support a constitutional amendment banning it, then you are not a Libertarian. Social/religious conservatism is anathema to a true Libertarian. But go ahead, good luck with that.
Well now Mr Smarty pants......lets review. First of all I am very Libertarian in my views, I just refuse to go full retard and jump on the crazy train. I am a hard core Conservative fiscally and socially, I believe that the government should stop doing 90% of what it does and Constitutionally is only supposed to provide for our military and national defense. Now the funny part..........you wish me luck with that view point.......well how is that Libertarian all or nothing, anarchist third party working out for you? What is the largest percentage of the vote the Libertarian party has ever gotten in a Presidential election 3%? Good Luck with THAT!! Now listen up, you're going to learn something, this ain't my first rodeo, If all you young Idealistic crazy Libertarians joined the Republican party and worked within, to change the party you would actually see some of your Libertarian Ideals being enacted, witness Ron &Rand Paul. That is the way our system works. The problem is Libertarians have become the antisocial crazy uncle that no longer can sit at the adult table, so they will forever languish in obscurity.......too bad.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Perhaps you misunderstood, I am not claiming Rubio to be moderate, he is by all means a good solid Conservative,
Of course I looking at it from my perspective as everyone does, but history backs me up. When was the last time a moderate republican won the white house Bush 41, ran on Reagans coatails espousing conservative views, governed as a moderate lost 2 term. Bob Dole ........LOSER!! Bush 43, spent like a liberal, but held the conservative base for the most part into his 2nd term. The fact of the matter is self proclaimed Republican moderates are a minority in the party. Any one that wants to win the nomination will have to run solidly to the right to win the primary while not alienating the middle. Rubio won huge in a three way race with Charlie Christ taking the position you espouse. Christ thought exactly what you are saying , the fact is Moderates in the Republican party have for years thought the rest of the country agreed with them in their distaste for Conservatives, every time they are wrong. note: obviously in liberal states such as mine or Mass where Romney comes from a Conservative must temper his ideology if he wants to get elected.
I actually agree with what you're saying to a certain extent, but remember--Rubio was a Cuban who won in FLORIDA. That's not a national stage. I think you're right that the R's will run someone to the right, but I'm not sure that if it's right enough for the tea party, that they can win a general election. I also think the point that you're missing is that as they go into details of the budget cuts between now and 2012--like Ryan's strong stand to slash SSI--those are going to be the issues that the moderates run against the R's on. That's where the swing voters will be focused.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:40 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
I can't believe they'd both vote 3rd party, what a shame.

I will vote vote third party anyhow, so I welcome their votes!
So will Democrats

Old 02-03-2011, 09:42 AM

256 posts, read 216,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
...the government should stop doing 90% of what it does and Constitutionally is only supposed to provide for our military and national defense.
Oh, really? When did the other Constitutionally granted powers of the government get eliminated, such as regulating interstate commerce?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies