Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:08 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Since the agents were clearly out of their jurisdiction, they should have been arrested for trying to make a face to face deal when not a resident of the state of AZ.

Bloomberg Is Criticized for Arizona Gun Show Scrutiny - NYTimes.com
i guess because new york city is the center of the universe he feels he should have the ability to do whatever he wants in any state in america.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 12:11 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Exactly. Bloomberg's agents were knowingly and willfully committing a federal felony.

They sold guns to people that couldn't pass a federal background check and you're worried about the agents violating the law...........Interesting set of priorities.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:20 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Some are. But many of the guns that are bought without a background check don't stay in the state, and a lot don't even stay in the country. It's an easy way to get around stricter laws in other states and countries, and to circumvent the intent of the federal law that requires background checks.
How many Tucson related events have you had in AZ? From what I can recall, 1. What you should be worried about are MS13 obtaining weapons that are UNREGISTERED, with serial numbers scratched off, getting into the hands of their gang members. They would never pass an NCIS chyeck and yet somehow they still get their hands on automatic machine pistols

Old 02-02-2011, 12:20 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I'm fully aware of the face to face sales rules. Why are you calling it the "gun show loophole"? Do you want to ban face to face sales?
Actually, I called it the "private seller loophole". I'm not sure what the solution is; private sales are problematic on several levels.

First, in some states, like Arizona, gun owners are not required to register their guns. This makes guns that are purchased through private sales untraceable - great for the criminals, not so great for the rest of us.

Second, no one is watching the private sellers to make sure that they are following the law - not selling to people who they suspect may not be legal buyers.

How do we solve this? I'm not sure. I don't want to get rid of guns, just make responsible gun owners. If a gun is used in a crime, shouldn't we be able to trace its history? And if someone knowingly sold a gun to a criminal, shouldn't we be able to find out who that person is?

Old 02-02-2011, 12:24 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
Quote:
Actually, I called it the "private seller loophole". I'm not sure what the solution is; private sales are problematic on several levels.

First, in some states, like Arizona, gun owners are not required to register their guns. This makes guns that are purchased through private sales untraceable - great for the criminals, not so great for the rest of us.

Second, no one is watching the private sellers to make sure that they are following the law - not selling to people who they suspect may not be legal buyers.

How do we solve this? I'm not sure. I don't want to get rid of guns, just make responsible gun owners. If a gun is used in a crime, shouldn't we be able to trace its history? And if someone knowingly sold a gun to a criminal, shouldn't we be able to find out who that person is?
There is NO "registry" in any State.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
How many Tucson related events have you had in AZ? From what I can recall, 1. What you should be worried about are MS13 obtaining weapons that are UNREGISTERED, with serial numbers scratched off, getting into the hands of their gang members. They would never pass an NCIS chyeck and yet somehow they still get their hands on automatic machine pistols
The beauty of independent thought is that I get to choose what I think, rather than you. Now, what I think is that weapons should all be registered, so that we can tell how they are getting into the hands of criminals.

One incident is too many. But we have many smaller incidents every year - robberies, home invasions, gang shootings ... Until we work out a way to make it less attractive for legal gun owners to sell to criminals, that's not going to change.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
The beauty of independent thought is that I get to choose what I think, rather than you. Now, what I think is that weapons should all be registered, so that we can tell how they are getting into the hands of criminals.

One incident is too many. But we have many smaller incidents every year - robberies, home invasions, gang shootings ... Until we work out a way to make it less attractive for legal gun owners to sell to criminals, that's not going to change.
The thugs, scum et al'.....aren't getting their guns from lawful responsible owners. They are getting them on the black market. NOW how they get there is what needs to be stopped but will and can never be.

Putting rules and regulations on responsible and lawful owners will not affect those thugs, gangsters etc.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
The thugs, scum et al'.....aren't getting their guns from lawful responsible owners. They are getting them on the black market. NOW how they get there is what needs to be stopped but will and can never be.

Putting rules and regulations on responsible and lawful owners will not affect those thugs, gangsters etc.
Think it through; if private sellers can sell to anyone, how do you know that they aren't selling to "thugs, scum, et al"? Answer is, you don't know that. The rules are open enough that they can sell to anyone; they can check their ethics at the door. "I need money ... who cares who hands it to me?"

Old 02-02-2011, 12:47 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Most of the guns used in crimes in NY come from guns originally purchased legally in other parts of the country (mostly in the south) and then sold on the black market.

No background checks? These private selling loopholes need to be closed immediately.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Think it through; if private sellers can sell to anyone, how do you know that they aren't selling to "thugs, scum, et al"? Answer is, you don't know that. The rules are open enough that they can sell to anyone; they can check their ethics at the door. "I need money ... who cares who hands it to me?"
I do think it through...I do this every single day.
I can tell you that responsible gun owners don't participate in this type of behavior and that they would take the firearm to a dealer or to a pawn shop
for the cash. That is guaranteed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies