Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:02 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,005 times

Advertisements

I've read that driver license test are offered in multiple languages other than english. I find this surprising because when driving on the road I have never read any other language on signs than English, so I am a little confuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 10:31 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,155,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I'm liberal in the minds of most who know my posts, but English should be the only language we use in the US. I'm unemployed right now. I get calls from recruiters with foreign accents so thick I can't discern what job they're describing to me. I won't even return their messages (providing I understand it) even though it means I won't get considered for a potential job. I'm sick of shopping where the signs are in more than one language. It used to be the sign was in English with Spanish subtitles. Now they are on equal terms.

If we don't speak the same language, we are no longer one country. The introduction of other languages is a version of divide and conquer. How can you stand with your neighbor if they don't speak your language?

I also agree that correct English is a dying art. People send emails that are rife with misspellings and broken sentences. People can't even speak without abbreviating words into "textlish". Since when did typing become dyslexic? It's like somebody putting letters in a blender.

Hell, why waste my time screaming about speaking in one language when people don't even bother to use it to communicate in the first place! You can take your LOLs and just SIWTSDS!

So true. It's just the last few generations that have been too damn LAZY to learn the language. YES, that's what I said!
A country with a dozen different languages can NOT go forward. PERIOD. Take a look at the statistics on education in the US VS. other countries, if you don't believe it. We are falling WAY behind.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:49 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,155,693 times
I notice all the children's shows on American TV now have Spanish built into them, quite heavily. I wouldn't mind so much, but where are all the great works of literature that are in Spanish? What is so important that Mexico has produced, that my child HAS to learn Spanish?? Is learning this going to really help my child, rather than being able to communicate with the illegals who are too lazy to learn the language that has been prevalent in the US throughout its' history?? If this invasion had come from a country that was SUCCESSFUL, and had produced many advances in the world, things would be different. I don't WANT the USA to become like Mexico!! Hell, even the MEXICANS don't want to live in Mexico, why else would they sneak into the US Illegally??? So WHY are we allowing the US to be changed, so it resembles Mexico?? If you want MEXICO, GO there. FIGHT for it, if it is your native country. Quit pussing out, & trying to change another country into the one you are too much of a damn COWARD to DEFEND!!!!
Harsh? Well too bad. That's the truth, and you know it.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:54 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
I've read that driver license test are offered in multiple languages other than english. I find this surprising because when driving on the road I have never read any other language on signs than English, so I am a little confuse.
I agree, its the dumbest thing they motor vehicles could do. Either have the test in English or make all the roads signs in 30 different languages.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
I notice all the children's shows on American TV now have Spanish built into them, quite heavily. I wouldn't mind so much, but where are all the great works of literature that are in Spanish? What is so important that Mexico has produced, that my child HAS to learn Spanish?? Is learning this going to really help my child, rather than being able to communicate with the illegals who are too lazy to learn the language that has been prevalent in the US throughout its' history?? If this invasion had come from a country that was SUCCESSFUL, and had produced many advances in the world, things would be different. I don't WANT the USA to become like Mexico!! Hell, even the MEXICANS don't want to live in Mexico, why else would they sneak into the US Illegally??? So WHY are we allowing the US to be changed, so it resembles Mexico?? If you want MEXICO, GO there. FIGHT for it, if it is your native country. Quit pussing out, & trying to change another country into the one you are too much of a damn COWARD to DEFEND!!!!
Harsh? Well too bad. That's the truth, and you know it.

I couldn't agree more, I also noticed cartoons with a little Spanish in them. I just turn it off and wrote a letter to the show .
Its ridiculous they everything in their language.

Also why do they come to the U.S to become Mexican Patriots?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:26 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I don't understand why if anyone would be against English as an official language. The majority of the country speaks its.
Its American culture.

I hope this passes
Why would you want it to pass? You have difficulty forming complete sentences.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Why would you want it to pass? You have difficulty forming complete sentences.
You badly need it

Old 02-17-2011, 08:09 AM
JPD

Quote:
You badly need it
Interesting reply. <--- See that dot? That's called a period. You should learn how to use one before trying to force others to speak English.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Interesting reply. <--- See that dot? That's called a period. You should learn how to use one before trying to force others to speak English.
You can't read.

I will say it again.

"You need it badly"

Old 02-17-2011, 08:23 AM
JPD

Quote:
You can't read.

I will say it again.

"You need it badly"
What do I need badly? My posts in this thread, unlike yours, have all been written in proper English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies