Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:20 PM

410 posts, read 949,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Racist.

A lot of good points here. South Florida without speaking Spanish is almost impossible.

Simple math.

If someone wants to live here, assimilate the language and laws, or leave.
If I hated America and wanted to see the total collapse of its economy, then I would be praying for the departure of all its non-English speaking residents.

Since I don't hate America and have no wish to see it collapse, I'm hoping they'll stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 01:28 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferron View Post
as does america. our national/official language is english.
You are misinformed. The United States does not have an official language.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:36 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferron View Post
so, you are most likely complaining about outsourcing, or foreign run businesses. enforcing english as the only language won't improve the accents of those individuals.
also, you realize that your state of mind will likely cause you to stay unemployed in this global economy?

maybe you should ask russia, indian and china how they can be countries when there are dozens of languages that are spoken there. hell, italy has enough dialectical differences from one area to another that there could be considered almost 10 languages on that small peninsula.
Granted there are countries that function with more than one language, I just don't think that should happen here. I speak some Spanish, but I don't want to be forced to speak it in order to conduct my daily affairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
They are speaking English to you, correct? Your frustration does not match the argument. Not even close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
If you need a job, then tolerate their thick accents and return their messages. There's no sense in not getting paid because of your stand on an political issue. Especially, one so insignificant as proposing an official language.
60% of the calls I get for employment are from people whose English I can barely understand. For the first few months, I fielded those calls. Unfortunately, their command of the language also matched their ability to understand what kind of job I was looking for, was qualified for, or where I was willing to work. They couldn't answer my questions about the job and didn't convey a comprehension of my resume. I got enough calls for jobs in Omaha and New Jersey and Charlotte when I've never expressed any interest in relocating. I'm in the desert Southwest, thank you and, no, I can't start in two days. It's not a political reason why I choose to ignore them, it's that they so far have done nothing but waste my time. Most of the jobs they want me to consider are ones I wouldn't have applied for anyway.

If I spoke several languages, a worthwhile pursuit, I would be empowered and my interactions with others who spoke those languages would be enjoyable and fruitful. But wherever I go, I'm confronted by people--Americans mostly--whose English leaves a lot to be desired. My complaint is more about the death and misuse of our language and the impact that such a loss can have on a nation as large as ours. I want us all speaking one language to stave off what I think will be impending disaster. We already pretty much hate each other enough as it is.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 02-02-2011 at 01:45 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 01:48 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
Quote:
Have you been to France recently? As of 2 years ago, there were tons of signs in English.
But as an accommodation only and likely in recognition of the fact that English is today what Latin was in ages past: the chief language of science and commerce.

The official language of France is French.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:51 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
It is about time.

We can finally get rid of all of those other languages on my signs, roads, phones, groceries, electronics etc.
Although the proposed law only applies to official government business (which I have no problem with), it is clear you haven't thought about your statement.

Quote:
And thank goodness for that.

If Spanish or French on your shampoo bottle so that the product can easily be sold in Mexico or Canada is so upsetting that it draws rage, perhaps that's a good time to sit down and look at your priorities. Life is too short to get angry at things that make sense.
Exactly. Besides, what are people expecting/demanding to happen? A change in the names of companies like El Pollo Loco, Buca di Beppo, etc. to an equivalent in English? A converin of the names of items on their menu to English equivalents? No more sushi, burrito, pho, etc.?

What about words borrowed from other languages? Change them, too?

[I think the French are doing something like this - even going to relatively absurd lengths]

Old 02-02-2011, 02:46 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Good. Amazing how in California someone can take the Driver's License test in many different languages, but they aren't required to know English. How can you navigate not knowing English?

Ridiculous.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:48 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hubard View Post
If I hated America and wanted to see the total collapse of its economy, then I would be praying for the departure of all its non-English speaking residents.

Since I don't hate America and have no wish to see it collapse, I'm hoping they'll stay.
If the non-English speaking residents went away, our economic situation would improve, because all these non-English speaking residents do is contribute to our high crime rate and poverty. They are dead weight

Old 02-03-2011, 03:42 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
I hope it fails. Most people in America can't even speak correct English.
And most in Mexico can't speak correct Spanish. Your point is?

Old 02-03-2011, 04:45 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hubard View Post

There would be no collapse if they left. What would happen is that those who can't wash their own dishes or make their own beds would not have taxpayer subsidized foreign labor and would have to pay legal wages.

Having the pompous elite paying legal wages would benefit the economy. More people would be getting at least minimum wage and overtime pay.

Illegals never have health insurance but end up as taxpayer burdens for their health care. Also for the educaton needs of their children and they tend to have huge families - huge families they couldn't support back in their own countries where the cost of living is much much lower so they end up supported by taxpayers here.

Having them gone would only hurt the greedy class that benefits from bringing them here by the boxcar loads. Keep in mind, not everyone in the USA has a cheap maid and landscaper and live-in nanny.

Many Americans actually mow their own lawns, clean up after themselves and others will employ legal workers even if they have to pay legal wages.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:07 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I don't understand why if anyone would be against English as an official language. The majority of the country speaks its.
Its American culture.

I hope this passes
Are they going to force us to speak with English accent too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies