U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-02-2011, 07:49 PM

18,189 posts, read 5,247,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
maybe gov't could be IF it was efficient and in-touch with what's going on!

If you like freedom, you cannot accept government control of our lives. Even efficient government restricts freedom.

And BTW, I've never heard of efficient government.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 PM

558 posts, read 489,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamore View Post
Libertarians are those that do not like to be called a conservative.
libertarians = conservatives.
Since when did people who were pro-choice, pro-right to privacy, pro-open borders, anti-war, anti-prohibition, anti-establishment, etc. become conservatives? These are more liberal positions if anything. The libertarian label, like all the others, has become meaningless.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:47 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,603,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Anarchy simply means lack of government. Nothing to be scared of.

The statists have kind of redefined it to mean chaos and/or violence. Anrachy has nothing to do with either.

For example, when the Iranian government was cracking down on protestors a year or so ago the U.S. govt and media was calling it anarchy. SInce it involved a government (Iran) it had nothing to do with anarchy.
Oh okay The following usually comes to mind: Young Sid Vicious types with mohawks, piercings and Union Jack t shirts running around screaming and burning cars and giving everyone the finger

Old 02-03-2011, 10:02 AM

30,957 posts, read 12,513,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This is the most concise definition I have found. I no longer consider Obama a Liberal. He's a Statist.

Comments ?
The problem is with your source, using a weird two-dimensional schema to define the role of government. By that measure, everybody who is not anarchist would be statist even if they may be extreme conservatives on economic policies.

The following represents the two-dimensional political landscape that I support, and how I define various political leanings.

It uses libertarianism versus authoritarianism on social scale, while economic scale determines left and right leanings on the subject. An economic conservative can surely be an authoritarian or a libertarian, right?

As a left-libertarian, I prefer the government to stay out of peopleís personal choices on social issue (libertarianism) but on economic issues I expect government playing a role, to regulate and make the correct choices for the nationís health. IMO, President Obama would also qualify as a left-libertarian. President Bush would qualify as a right-authoritarian. A proper centrist would fall squarely in the middle. Clearly, I am a statist to some degree on economic issues but anarchist or minarchist on social.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies