Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:23 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I just try to keep it simple for my anti-gun friends:

Look, my loved ones depend on me to bring home the bacon; I not only have an obligation to keep my sorry arse alive....but also a responsibility.
Yes, because Arizona is being attacked on a constant basis. I can see it now, the war torn suburban streets of Mesa. Shelled out downtown Phoenix. Students protesting in Tempe with Molotov cocktails. The whole horror of it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 08:26 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times
I don't own a gun and never have. I don't care if anyone owns a gun, it's your right; but a lot of people seem to care that I don't own a gun. Why?

Old 02-02-2011, 08:26 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I just try to keep it simple for my anti-gun friends:

Look, my loved ones depend on me to bring home the bacon; I not only have an obligation to keep my sorry arse alive....but also a responsibility.
Well then hopefully you eat healthy and exercise too, since you're much, much more likely to die from heart disease or cancer than from being a victim of crime in the USA...

Old 02-02-2011, 08:28 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
I don't own a gun and never have. I don't care if anyone owns a gun, it's your right; but a lot of people seem to care that I don't own a gun. Why?
They care enough to call those that don't agree with them cowards.

Then they get all bent out shape when somebody describes their typical demographics.....lol

But they're just fine with calling other American's cowards...they even link to their articles...lol

Old 02-02-2011, 09:28 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

Then they get all bent out shape when somebody describes their typical demographics.....lol

But they're just fine with calling other American's cowards...they even link to their articles...lol
Step up to the plate and talk, PadCrasher. Yep, I linked to the article. What issue do you have with it?

It seems you missed the whole thesis. It is not singularly calling any certain person a "coward" (that is up to the individual to conclude about themselves)

No, it is referrring to the fallacy that guns per se are the problem. That, on the contrary, the REAL problem is that all too many Americans have become conditioned to believe such and will not take any responsibility for their own safety. Further, refusal to accept (cognitive dissonance, perhaps..?) that the obvious key to reducing violent senseless crime is an armed populace who will fight back, then and there, when it happens, and are legally permitted the means to do so. Make the "bad guys" scared of us!

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-02-2011 at 10:15 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 09:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
There have been lots of threads recently concerning gun-ownership, gun-control, etc. I have contributed to a few of them. Anyway, in replying, it reminded me of one of the best articles ever written on the subject (IMHO). I posted it on another thead, and it occured to me it might be worth starting its own and get some input.

The article came out in 1993. It was written by Jeff Snyder. It is titled "A Nation of Cowards."
Here is the link and an excerpt:

A Nation of Cowards

Is your life worth protecting? If so, whose responsibility is it to protect it? If you believe that it is the police's, not only are you wrong -- since the courts universally rule that they have no legal obligation to do so -- but you face some difficult moral quandaries. How can you rightfully ask another human being to risk his life to protect yours, when you will assume no responsibility yourself? Because that is his job and we pay him to do it? Because your life is of incalculable value, but his is only worth the $30,000 salary we pay him? If you believe it reprehensible to possess the means and will to use lethal force to repel a criminal assault, how can you call upon another to do so for you?

I post that passage because it so relevant. That is to say, many who disdain the right of the average citizen to carry a weapon for personal protection, have no problem with calling upon others to protect them. It keeps their own hands clean...I suppose. Not unlike (other than elevated to a much more important level) than those who condemn hunting ...but still eat meat they pay others to kill for them.

Anyway, that article is well worth the read...
Great article. I linked it at least once following the Tucson murderer's actions but those threads were all locked up. Thanks for posting again. Preaching to the choir for most of us whom are likeminded.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:31 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

You didn't actually take the time to read it did you. Mocking is more your style over substance isn't it.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:02 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Padcrasher , explain this guy ok?

Old 02-02-2011, 10:18 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Preaching to the choir for most of us whom are likeminded.
That's what the idiom means.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:20 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
That's what i don't get. If you want to own an arsenal, then be my guest. Why should i care? But if i don't want to own a gun and couldn't care less about the topic of guns, then leave me the hell alone.

I don't bother you and you don't bother me. It's like we can't just respect the other guys' opinion if he disagrees with us. WTF is that all about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies