Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:16 AM

24,623 posts, read 19,105,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post

You would accept this ? Why ?
Are you out of your mind? I think people have more important things to worry about, but hey, go ahead and take a page from Lenin's Red Book and harp on inconsequential matters to divert people's attention from the real issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 10:24 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,806,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedsnake View Post
Why not? It would fit right in with banning salt, sugar, happy meals, fast foods in general, and most anything that tastes or feels good.
You almost had me, until I realized none of those were actually banned on a national scale.
Nice reverse sarcasm.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:02 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,402,700 times
Yes, just in time for pot, and all the butts will be, for sure, picked up by the homeless.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:13 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,690,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I hate smoking ALOT. I can't stand the smell, it gives me a horrible headache. But what I hate even more is what it does to people's health. I HATE it!

That said I do not think there should be a national ban for a day. I agree it is a personal choice and the government has no business in it.

Yes.

I hate soccer and a lot of people get injured playing soccer. Nevertheless, government has no business tell us what games we can play, what we can eat, drink or smoke.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:15 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
Ban? No. Restrictions? Hell yes.

No sane person could argue with that.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Because it's a free country.

Well, maybe not. At least not very free in some places like NYC and most of CA.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
No one said it was a publcly owned place.

I stand by my assertion that people should be able to, at a minimum, enjoy clean air and not have someone next to them enveloping them in carcinogenic toxins.

This should be COMMON SENSE. It is a matter of simple decent behavior. Civility.
If you have an addiction and you want to indulge regardless of the health implications then so be it, but you should have enough respect for your fellow man not to expose them.
But since many people seem to lack this sense then the establishment should protect the public.
If the business wants to post a sign that says something to the effect: Enter at your own risk toxic chemicals being released. . . . Making it know that it is catering to smokers then that is a different story. Basically a bar.

We're talking about a PARK here. Not a confined space. This ban is ridiculous and reflects the police state attitude of some state and local governments. I guess NYC is only "liberal" when it comes to tolerating the things they agree with.

And by the way, not everyone who smokes "has an addiction".

Old 02-03-2011, 12:50 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,299,459 times
Quote:
But why should the non smoker have to make the adjustment?
Why shouldn't they be able to go into any public place and enjoy clean air?

Let the smokers indulge all they want but in their own space where they don't pollute the lungs of innocent people.
As an ex-smoker I wholeheartedly agree. No smoking in bars/restaurants/shops/offices - indoor spaces primarily - but if people want to smoke at home, in their own car, outside then fine. When we have friends round they are welcome to smoke outside in our yard - ashtrays and seats are always provided. We don't give them a hard time about it.

Whether smokers admit it or not, secondary smoke is dangerous. Non smokers have no choice but to inhale cigarette smoke if they're in the proximity of a smoker - particularly indoors. Not to mention how disgusting it makes your hair and clothing smell.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:14 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,266,427 times
No, I do not support a national ban. I do not support "bans" on much of anything, quite frankly. Because where do you draw the line for any of it?????????

Old 02-03-2011, 01:24 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,169,069 times
Quote:
But why should the non smoker have to make the adjustment?
Why shouldn't they be able to go into any public place and enjoy clean air?

Let the smokers indulge all they want but in their own space where they don't pollute the lungs of innocent people.

public place? if you mean a resturant or bar, then it is not a public place. they can have you removed and not a damn thing you could do about it.

they pay property taxes and should be able to declare whether or not they have a smoking or non smoking place of business.
it is none of the states nor the federal goverments business in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies