Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 01:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
1. Eliminate medical malpractice torts
2. Place all us greedy physicians on salary. I bet the number of elective surgeries, labs, and procedures would go down dramatically.
3. Outlaw physician ownership of medical facilities, labs, and imaging
4. Institute VA system "ladder" for prescribing medicines, which mandates use of cheaper generics and demonstration of failure with those meds before moving on to more expensive medicine.
5. Institute a 25% "deductible" for all medicare patients over age 80. Billions are wasted on ICU care for patients who essentially have a 100% mortality. Ask the patients or thier families to pony up a small amount of the cost and they will come to thier senses.
6. Allow insurances to compete across state lines.
7. Increase the deductibles of all health insurance to $4,000. This would put most of the initial economic/medical decisions in the hands of the consumer, who would "shop around" and drive down costs.
8. Increase the medicaid "co-pay" to ten dollars for everything. A hillbilly cherishes cigs, alcohol and meth more than healthcare. When a hillbilly has to pay ten dollars for anything, they will balance the opportunity cost in the form of fewer cigs and alcohol and decide to not take that $2,000 ambulance ride for a sniffle, or the $2,500 ER vist for a tummy ache.
9. Raise medicare eligibility to age 68

There you go. Healthcare crisis solved. You could fold "the uninsured" into medicaid or medicare via this system and still save billions from what we have today. Then again, you could add $3.2 trillion to the debt over ten years, strap the states and business with an additional financial burden they cannot afford, keep the health system essentially the same, and pull for Obamacare.
For every problem, there exists a simple and elegant solution which is absolutely wrong.

- J. Wagoner, U.C.B. Mathematics

While I agree with some of the above, I disagree strongly with 5,6, and 7. As a physician, you surely know that some 80 year olds are strong and basically healthy, while others are not. Most elderly don't have 25% of an ICU bill to pay to the hospital. So. . . the hospital abosorbs the loss. I have never really figured out what insurance companies competing across state lines would actually achieve. With the big insurance companies, such as United Health Care, they just set up a corporation in each state, but it's still all the same company. Heck, when you call to get prior auths and such, you're calling some call center in G*d_ Knows_Where (always out of state), sometimes they even ask you if you're calling from a certain state; the billing addresses are all out of state, etc. This is just a way to get around state regualtions, IMO. We've discussed the high-deductible issue before. I have seen these policies discourage people from getting recommended care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 01:35 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
This is my problem with the whole "repeal" crowd. Yes, Obamacare is a terrible law. However, the status quo was pretty ****ty as well. If the Republicans would come up with a counter proposal instead of just "repeal" they might even get some liberals to support it. Liberals were not pleased with Obamacare.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:36 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
This is my problem with the whole "repeal" crowd. Yes, Obamacare is a terrible law. However, the status quo was pretty ****ty as well. If the Republicans would come up with a counter proposal instead of just "repeal" they might even get some liberals to support it. Liberals were not pleased with Obamacare.
Absolutely agree.

For me there are two key issues to resolve.

1. The cost of health care which is far too high for the quality we get, and

2. How we fund healthcare so that the funding is better spread across society.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:51 PM

446 posts, read 649,442 times
The conservative plan for healthcare is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-usmvYOPfco

Old 02-06-2011, 06:17 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,651 times
To me it is all about individual responsibility. If you are having trouble in whatever crisis you may be facing, private charities come into play like the salvation army, churches, donations...etc...It is a proven fact that govt. intrusion does nothing but hurt. It also is not fair to make hard working people donate endless amounts of money until they are broke, and be made to put with a socialst health care program.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:30 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
What is the Conservative Solution for Affordable Healthcare?
Death Panels, let the poor die and they save money, pretty simple, it comes down to the almighty dollar with them every time.
Casper

Old 02-06-2011, 07:49 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,651 times
Well if thats not the pot calling the kettle...saying with conservatives its all about money...well at least its OUR money.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:52 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You do realize that the hated "progressives" created each program you mentioned. If left up to right wing Libertarians or Conservatives, none of these programs would be around.
Your point being .....?

Old 02-06-2011, 07:57 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I say, good for her! Why should anyone pay $500 or more a month to crooked insurance companies. It is time to change our system.
NO, I am not advocating for Obamacare. But, we need to bring the overall cost down so that the average citizen can pay for services rendered.
If people want to continue paying big bucks to their insurance company, then they can keep doing that. But, it is a waste of money if you ask me.
If she is injured or her pre-existing condition acts up I can assure you she won't being saying Good for me. It'll be more like I can't afford these bills. We need UHC! Yep, so those like myself who can't afford a horse can be responsible for her medical bills.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:07 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
If the truth be told, conventional medicine is the leading cause of death in the USA so: just AVOID CONVENTIONAL MEDICINE altogether except for EMERGENCIES! Here is the research straight from the medical journals LE Magazine, August 2006 - Report: Death by Medicine

.Look at a few of the facts:

Estimated Annual Mortality and Economic Cost of Medical Intervention

Total
783,936 deaths each year from "health care" costing
$282 billion

Table 3: Estimated 10-Year Death Rates from Medical Intervention

<B>

</B>
Total

What to do instead? Find a good Naturopath for chronic and degenerative conditons who can help you get well enough so you won't NEED your prescriptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies