Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are homeless people worth helping out?
Yes 48 64.86%
No 9 12.16%
Maybe 15 20.27%
Never 2 2.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 08:11 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,090,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I am not trying to play the devil's advocate here but really. Who doesn't accept social security?
People are forced to pay in to it so of course they will collect when the time comes.
She payed her taxes.
Ayn Rand. That's who. It totally invalidated everything she claimed to believe.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:15 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,092,483 times
Quote:
I am not trying to play the devil's advocate here but really. Who doesn't accept social security?
People are forced to pay in to it so of course they will collect when the time comes.
She payed her taxes.
Oh I don't think there is a thing wrong with her collecting social security and medicare. The point is that she preached constantly that such things as social security and medicare should not exist and that it was bad for people to have these "crutches" on which they could lean. But then, perhaps this just proves her theory of enlightened self-interest?

3,767 posts, read 4,519,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
When I lived in Florida, I had a landscaper friend who was always looking for help. Whenever I saw a bum, I'd give him my friend's business card and 50 cents to call him, but he didn't get too many phone calls from these guys.
Hate to say it but it probably wasn't a bad thing for your landscaper friend.

I do remember the Eliabeth Smart case and the man who kidnapped her was a homeless man that Eliabeth's mom had given a job around their home.

9,879 posts, read 7,996,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ntr0py View Post
Are homeless bums worth helping? Today a homeless guy asked if he could have a few drags of my cigarette outside my work. I usually throw the half smoked ones in the puddle for them to dig out . My co-workers think I'm cruel but I think the homeless are lazy degenerates that need to go away. They constantly beg for change when I know they will just go buy drugs or booze with it so I tell them "it's not happening" even before they say anything. Is it mean? Why on earth would one want to help people that don't want to or can't help themselves? I bet 90% of the time they will amount to nothing so what is the point? Survival of the fittest is my motto. Anyone else agree?
I only agree throwing your cigarette on the ground is a nasty habit. Use an ash tray or something. And you better not be throwing them out the window of your car either You give fellow smokers a bad name.
You dirty, no good litterer. Now, what were you saying
about homeless people...

Old 02-03-2011, 08:17 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,519,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Oh I don't think there is a thing wrong with her collecting social security and medicare. The point is that she preached constantly that such things as social security and medicare should not exist and that it was bad for people to have these "crutches" on which they could lean. But then, perhaps this just proves her theory of enlightened self-interest?
I get your point but I don't believe in gov't programs but since I am forced into paying SS I will certainly have no guilt in collecting when the time comes.

Of course by then the system will most likely be broke.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:30 PM

11,173 posts, read 10,947,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
You're about an arrogant SOB. You probably don't think it can happen to you, but you can be separated from your money. You don't know what life will throw at you. Illness, lawsuits, blackmail, embezzlement, crooked investment partners and/or brokers, etc. You could use a real life's lesson to cure you of your haughtiness. It would do you some good to lose all your money and join the ranks of these "worthless bums" that you have so much disdain for. Maybe then you would learn to respect people and their circumstances, and not judge them.
All it takes is one Bernie Madoff. But our guy is way to smart to fall for that.....

Old 02-03-2011, 08:43 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,399,104 times
Matthew 25:34-46

brushrunner

Old 02-03-2011, 08:49 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,470,976 times
Quote:
Are homeless bums worth helping? Today a homeless guy asked if he could have a few drags of my cigarette outside my work. I usually throw the half smoked ones in the puddle for them to dig out . My co-workers think I'm cruel but I think the homeless are lazy degenerates that need to go away. They constantly beg for change when I know they will just go buy drugs or booze with it so I tell them "it's not happening" even before they say anything. Is it mean? Why on earth would one want to help people that don't want to or can't help themselves? I bet 90% of the time they will amount to nothing so what is the point? Survival of the fittest is my motto. Anyone else agree?
You are cruel.......your co-workers are correct......do you pull the wings off of flies so you can delight in their struggles/agony?????

Here's another motto for you.......Judge Not....Lest Ye Be Judged Yourself. Simply put .....You do NOT know their life circumstances...NOR have you walked in any man's shoes but your own..

Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,090,326 times
Quote:
I get your point but I don't believe in gov't programs but since I am forced into paying SS I will certainly have no guilt in collecting when the time comes.

Of course by then the system will most likely be broke.
The point was/is that the OP is an Ayn Rand devotee.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:04 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,470,976 times
Quote:
i'm going to sleep. later.
Thank God......Your BEST post in this thread.......including your condescending opening post......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies