Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 10:06 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yup. Interesting fact: The very best Nazi interrogator of downed Allied airmen was famous for using the soft touch. Didn't even raise his voice. Hanns Scharff made Allied pilots talk, to the degree that the USAF had him teach their own interrogators after the war.
And that method was forgotten between 1945 and 2000. I wonder just how effective it really was since our people didn't seem to use it on terrorists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 10:13 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post

I see you provided nothing about an alternative means to getting info other that just letting him sit in a cell and pray that at some point they talk.
What do you think "traditional human intelligence", "regular tactics", and "a good psychological interrogator" actually mean? What do you think those underlined words in blue are for? I'm prohibited from copying the whole article, so it's incumbent upon you to click the links if you want more information than what's pasted on your screen.
Quote:

I don't want to torture anyone, but at some point you have to do what is needed.
It's never "needed" and it's also, as I showed above, not effective. Why on earth would you want bad information?
Quote:

Oh and these people(our enemies) don't need an excuse to violate a treaty they already don't believe and probably have never even heard of. We aren't fighting Russia or some country, we are fighting terrorists who have one goal terrorize.
But Russia and other countries are watching what we're doing. How do you not get that?

On what grounds do you think we'll be able to prosecute waterboarding of our soldiers in the future, like we did with the Japanese after WWII, if they can just say, "Hey, you guys sanctioned it yourselves!"???

Jesus Christ, people! This is not rocket science. It's simple human psychology!

Torturing people doesn't work and it leads to unforeseen consequences down the line for our own troops. It is utterly, disgustingly UNPATRIOTIC to so blithely and willingly put our men and women in uniform at risk of being tortured with waterboarding if they are ever captured by an enemy!

UNAMERICAN!

Old 02-05-2011, 10:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
The swiss shoud do more investigation into their own banks starting during WWII and the politcal system connected to it. Then fgo into other politcal corrupt that are now using them to include mnay nmass murders.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:18 PM

545 posts, read 400,271 times
This may be really off topic, but I just got off a thread about Corporal Punishment, you know, spankings, whippings, beatings with belts and wooden spoons and stuff like that.....many agreed with that was the right thing to do...it keeps "them in line"....you know, the children.......and the reason why kids are so terrible today is because, well....you just didn't slap them around enough...

but here...its strange.... high level terrorist...you know , people who kill and plan to kill some more and given the chance would saw the head off of everyone you love with a dirty and jagged knife all for the hope of getting to heaven and getting laid........you dare rough them up in the slightest bit and you're a "torturer" with no soul...

One poster said some people in the military get water-board themselves as part of their training......where the hell is your bleeding hearts for them?....our soldiers get called baby-killers all the time but terrorists are constantly "cuddled" by you people......are you people that ideologically blind as to not be consistent with your B.S.?.........

"its the law"..you think terrorists give damn about you and your "laws"?...I can't imagine "killing" someone...I value human life...but why should I let that stop me from protecting me and my family knowing he doesn't hold the same value as me?...so you damn right I would pull the trigger in a second and not lose sleep over it either.....

what good are laws when only the decent are expected to following them?....when you plan to blow up innocent people....guess what?..you forfeit your "humanity card"...so all the UN, Geneva, whatever crap you liberals want to hide behind in your senseless rants are voided..

but children?.....well of course, beat them senseless...its for "their own good"...."but you bet not squeeze the hand of a terrorist too tight...you monster"........god, people can be so ass-backwards.

Last edited by EricGold; 02-05-2011 at 10:30 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 10:18 PM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
I'm not suggesting anything.
It seems you are, truth be told. You very much seem to be suggesting that US law can be circumvented as long as we're dealing with terrorists.

Quote:
Why don't you go back to the context in which you asked the question?
Yeah, let's. Somebody pointed out that US law enforcement officers were prosecuted for waterboarding. You asked whether they were waterboarding terrorists - as if that was somehow a distinction worth making when considering prosecution. I, admittedly exasperated, asked for the legal reasoning and you decided to get emotional instead.

Quote:
You feigned disbelief that people could care less about terrorists (where were you on 9/11? And how old were you?) in the hands of US soldiers. Then you rhetorically asked for a source/cite of where the "terrorist exemption" existed.
Like that.

But OK, opinion duly noted - US law, ratified treaties and common human decency can be ignored, as long as we can tell ourselves that we're dealing with terrorists. Under the legal concept of "common sense".

As a smart guy said, if you only live by your principles when it's safe and easy, they're not principles - they're hobbies.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:22 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
"America": Terrorist, if you can't beat them, join them. Might as well, since we don't even value Democracy anymore.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:25 PM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
And that method was forgotten between 1945 and 2000.
Ehm - no? Hanns Scharff's methods worked so well, the USAF emulated them and, in a rare display of inter-service cooperation, the US Army did as well. In fact, his methods are still taught.

Because they work.

Quote:
I wonder just how effective it really was since our people didn't seem to use it on terrorists.
As luck would have it, cooler heads prevail most of the time and torture is a rarity. It provides a slim glimmer of hope that it took a Presidential order to overcome the institutional distaste for torture.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:29 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yup. Interesting fact: The very best Nazi interrogator of downed Allied airmen was famous for using the soft touch. Didn't even raise his voice. Hanns Scharff made Allied pilots talk, to the degree that the USAF had him teach their own interrogators after the war.
So you think befriending a terrorist, as an infidel interrogator, would work?

A person who is willing to die in the name of his cause to get his 72 virgins?

A person who will blow himself up and take out a plane full of men, women and children along with him?

A person who will saw off the head of another human being?

Times have changed.

Terrorists are a different breed of crazy.

What Scharff did was eff them mentally and emotionally.

Stockholm syndrome.

Last edited by Informed Info; 02-05-2011 at 11:03 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 10:31 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Of course you not aware! That's your typical Nationalist....not only do you not care if "foreigners" are tortured ....your also "unaware" that what the US did could be illegal and able to be prosecuted under the UN Convention on Torture.
Both the Swiss and the USA are parties to that treaty.
How soon we forget the Swiss took gold teeth taken from corpses killed by the Nazi's and melted the gold down into bars.

The bars which to this day reside in Swiss vaults.

The Swiss are the wimps of the world and the LAST group of people to accuse anyone of torture let alone a President of the US.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:31 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The swiss shoud do more investigation into their own banks starting during WWII and the politcal system connected to it. Then fgo into other politcal corrupt that are now using them to include mnay nmass murders.
Really, why don't you tell us about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies