Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 07:13 PM

46,891 posts, read 25,860,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
BTW...according to the Geneva Conventions, a terrorist could be summarily executed, without trial, the moment they are captured.
Doubtful, but in the interest of fighting ignorance, could you tell us which convention (there's 4 major ones) and which article?

I'll even provide a link to Yale's compilation of the different Laws of War.

Avalon Project - The Laws of War

Should be easy to find the text that authorizes summarily executing someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Sorry. The Geneva conventions don't apply to enemy combatants.
You're thinking of the neologism "illegal combatants". The GC very much applies to enemy combatants - soldiers, for one thing, are combatants - and goes to some lengths to define who is and who isn't.

Not that it matters, because we're talking about the UN Convention against Torture, an entirely different thing.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:19 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,952,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You're thinking of the neologism "illegal combatants". The GC very much applies to enemy combatants - soldiers, for one thing, are combatants - and goes to some lengths to define who is and who isn't.
You and your fancy European book learnin!

Old 02-05-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You and your fancy European book learnin!
I took, believe it or not, a correspondence class on the Laws of War back when Her Majesty tried to make a soldier of me.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:24 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,972,567 times
I filed this story where it belongs...

Under the heading of BARKING MOONBATS

13,186 posts, read 14,952,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I took, believe it or not, a correspondence class on the Laws of War back when Her Majesty tried to make a soldier of me.
This is a great resource as well

Binding U.S. law requires prosecutions for those who authorize torture - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

10,181 posts, read 10,231,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Ok, read through page 1 and America deserves what is coming to it. Period.
What's coming to America?

Quote:
.....but little do you know when WE need a handout no one will be there.
Who (which countries) has/have ever lined up to give "handout(s)" to Americans?

Quote:
'Nuff said.
I'd say so!

Old 02-05-2011, 07:27 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,885,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
I filed this story where it belongs...

Under the heading of BARKING MOONBATS
Pinochet was arrested in the UK on a warrant issued by a Spanish judge.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:30 PM

15,701 posts, read 17,001,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
You want torture, just listening to one of Barry Obama's telepromter specials.
OMG........this is so old.

President Obama handles himself quite well at his press conferences........ without a teleprompter.....or any type of prepared statement. He answers all press questions asked intelligently and thoroughly.......even questions that are not related to the reason for the press conference.

The man is a great speaker........you just aren't used to it after 8 years of Bush. Heck, Bush had trouble just reading the teleprompter.

And Palin? Oh how I would LOVE to see her answer questions at a press conference! Talk about great entertainment!

She makes herself look like a fool even when she has had a week's notice and the help of all of her advisors to come up with an answer.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:39 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,231,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
OMG........this is so old.

President Obama handles himself quite well at his press conferences........ without a teleprompter.....or any type of prepared statement. He answers all press questions asked intelligently and thoroughly.......even questions that are not related to the reason for the press conference.

The man is a great speaker........you just aren't used to it after 8 years of Bush. Heck, Bush had trouble just reading the teleprompter.

And Palin? Oh how I would LOVE to see her answer questions at a press conference! Talk about great entertainment!

She makes herself look like a fool even when she has had a week's notice and the help of all of her advisors to come up with an answer.
Palin? Why must all liberals bring up Palin and then whine about why she "won't go away"?

And Barry talks like a salesman. A very monotone full of crap salesman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies