Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2011, 12:53 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times

Advertisements

Very sad, with that I can't imagine Blacks better than Whites, Asians and even Hispanics in the long run.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:54 PM

7 posts, read 4,894 times
[QUOTEThe statistics are tragic, the consequences catastrophic. At least two generations, lost to poverty, illiteracy, violence, fatherless homes.

Colbert I. King - Celebrating black history as the black family disintegrates

Quote:
When Black History Month was celebrated in 1950, according to State University of New York research, 77.7 percent of black families had two parents. As of January 2010, according to the Census Bureau, the share of two-parent families among African Americans had fallen to 38 percent.
Good lord.

What happened? Welfare, dependency on government for your very life? This is a multiple generational disease that is afflicting the black community. The only "out" is an education, but more often than not, the easier "out" seems to be, "get on the rolls", let Uncle Sam take care of it.

This is a truly sad, tragic situation.

Newsroom: Families & Households: Census Bureau Reports Families With Children Increasingly Face Unemployment

First things first. We all SHARE the same soil, and are still ONE country, so in order for any change to take place or for us to become a "power" again, the "us" and "them" mentality has to go. Right? I mean, there are a TON of poor and homeless of every race and they're all American citizens, so..... lets take care of our own. ( not a race by race "own", you know?)][/quote]

Old 02-10-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
"Holloway said an altercation at the scene led to the shooting. Family members insisted otherwise, saying that Tolan only raised up slightly to ask officers not to push his mother."

Robbie wasn't shot because he was Black. He was shot while attempting to protect his mother, who was being belligerent with the police. That part was left out of this one-sided story. I'm not saying the officers were right in this situation, I'm saying the mother overreacted to the incorrect stolen car report, and it got her son shot. Robbie's mother's behavior got him shot, period.

Even if her belligerence was valid, it's not smart to act out of pocket with anyone carrying a gun. The correct reaction in any situation with officers that a citizen doesn't like, is to act polite and use the legal system to discipline the officers and the police department.

I'm not saying Blacks or other races don't get shot by police officers out of left field, but this case is not one of them.
Due to racial inequality, what we know people believe regarding stereotypes and obvious knowledge of the fact that, had she been a white woman upset about the mistaken report, the officer most likely would have understood her discontent, and not gotten aggressive in the first place. That would have rendered the ( fictitious 'white' sons) the son's involvement null and void. In a way he wasn't shot FOR being black, he was shot BECAUSE he was black, and how we ( as a society) are trained to feel about them, right?

Old 02-10-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Very sad, with that I can't imagine Blacks better than Whites, Asians and even Hispanics in the long run.

Why on Earth would you say such a thing! In the eyes of God,Krishna, Allah, Buddha, Darwin AND common sense ( not to mention Science and History) you KNOW that make no sense. Please, I want to respect you.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:00 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot Savant View Post
Embrace what passes for education in underperforming inner urban schools? Embrace employment that is doled out at 1/5 the rate as to other races? Is it really that simple or am I missing something... ...
Good afternoon,

A school is only as good or as bad as its' participants. Who are the participants? Students, teachers, parents and administrators. I spent K-12 in "under-performing inner urban schools", and my peers knew what education could do for their lives. It's actually EASIER to excel in a low performing school, because there's little competition. Any student making average effort can sail to the top of the class and obtain full scholarships to many colleges, including HBCUs like Xavier that are a fast track to medical school for Blacks. They key is self-motivation and desire to excel. Parents primarily and teachers secondarily play a role, but it's the student's choice to make an effort (or not) in a low-performing school environment.

In regards to employment and race, that's a red herring. If a person of a specific race feels he/she can't cut it against other races, there are plenty of cities where the only competition are others who look like them.

Employment is not doled out, it's earned. If a person has trouble finding a job, he or she needs to educate/train, prepare their appearance, and get help with their resume/skills. There are plenty of government offices who help with that and will even place people in jobs, I worked in one of them in the past.

To this day, I have never met a person who wanted a job, made the effort, and NEVER found one, including after Hurricane Katrina when a mass flood of people were immediately unemployed and it was my duty to assist them.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:14 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay greene View Post
Why on Earth would you say such a thing! In the eyes of God,Krishna, Allah, Buddha, Darwin AND common sense ( not to mention Science and History) you KNOW that make no sense. Please, I want to respect you.
I talked about the economy that's all.With disintegrated families and low education attainment they can't match....

Old 02-10-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I think at this stage in the game I just expect people to "get it" I'm still in my 20's and I've encountered a wide enough variety of people to know I can't judge someone based on what I see on TV and I have to wonder what kind of lives that some people lead where the only black people they ever come in contact with are the ones that rob them.
Good afternoon,

I didn't mean to give the impression that people are only having contact with Blacks who rob them. I meant Blacks who display the stereotypical "ghetto", uneducated qualities that are seen as negative in society. This is nowhere near the majority of Black people, but the media depictions and "black flight" by accomplished Blacks to non-Black suburbs make it seem that way.

Many people grow up in majority non-Black areas, go to school, college, and finally go to work with limited interactions with Black people. It's easy to do when a group is only 13% of the population and a large part of that 13% is concentrated in majority-Black cities. It's very easy to find areas of the United States where virtually no Blacks live or areas where "stereotypical Blacks" are the most visible.

As JazzyTallGuy said, (paraphrasing) the non-stereotypical, non-poor Blacks are very invisible.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Freedom123[/b]]
Good afternoon,

Reagan had a Democratic-majority House for his entire administration. According to the Constitution, the House controls all revenue. Any funding cuts and tax decreases were a team effort, and both should accept the blame for negative results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Actually congress by 1986 was 53% Republican and 47% Democrat in the Senate...the House had a Democratic lead.
Good afternoon, calibro:

I referred to the Democratically-controlled House in my post, so your point confirms my post. The Senate is not granted the power of the purse in the Constitution, the House of Representatives is.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
My mistake...I thought he said Congress (meaning both the house and the senate...which both are needed).
Sorry Calibro, I posted my response before reading this one.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:46 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good afternoon,

I didn't mean to give the impression that people are only having contact with Blacks who rob them. I meant Blacks who display the stereotypical "ghetto", uneducated qualities that are seen as negative in society. This is nowhere near the majority of Black people, but the media depictions and "black flight" by accomplished Blacks to non-Black suburbs make it seem that way.

Many people grow up in majority non-Black areas, go to school, college, and finally go to work with limited interactions with Black people. It's easy to do when a group is only 13% of the population and a large part of that 13% is concentrated in majority-Black cities. It's very easy to find areas of the United States where virtually no Blacks live or areas where "stereotypical Blacks" are the most visible.

As JazzyTallGuy said, (paraphrasing) the non-stereotypical, non-poor Blacks are very invisible.

Backhanded compliments....exhibit A ^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies