Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 11:56 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Tell you what, You cry over the Whites on welfare and below the Poverty line. Start with that unless you believe its acceptable.

Geeesh, there's that race superiority again.
Sorry, but we can talk about it without getting emotional. You should read the link I posted with the statistics you were asking about.

You should get angry over that, not because some have the gall to write about what is happening.

Quote:
I'll also note that the personal responsibility line being made by Colbert I. King is the standard argument for old, extremely wealthy, conservative-leaning black commentators. This is Bill Cosby redux, and I don't have to tell you how many times some right-winger has repeated the Cosby argument in threads similar to this one.

These people live lives so extremely different than those of the contemporary lower class black population that we take them to be experts only due to the fact that they share a skin tone with the people they're discussing.
Bill Cosby is right and he tried to put a bright light on what was going on in the community, to no avail, as the Jesse's and Al's of the status quo came out to attack him for telling the truth.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:01 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,535,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Sorry, but we can talk about it without getting emotional. You should read the link I posted with the statistics you were asking about.

You should get angry over that, not because some have the gall to write about what is happening.

Bill Cosby is right and he tried to put a bright light on what was going on in the community, to no avail, as the Jesse's and Al's of the status quo came out to attack him for telling the truth.

Not emotional at all, nothing you or any other ignorant poster on this subject shock me anymore. We can talk about it once TRUE and unbias data is presented. NO your link does NOT provide the statistic I was looking for, but again not surprised you would believe otherwise.

Bill Cosby's statements were COMPLETELY different than that of Kings, completely different. Bringing up Messy Jessie and Big Perm again to me NOT shocking at all.

Good try on the emotional thing though....again typical and wrong.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:03 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,167 times
Quote:

Bill Cosby is not right, and neither are Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton. You believe whatever it is you want to hear due to your intransigent political beliefs, and don't allow the fact that you know nothing about the subject get in your way. How much time have you spent in poor black communities?

Old 02-11-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Bill Cosby's statements were COMPLETELY different than that of Kings, completely different.
This is not true, they both hinge on the notion that the ultimate factor in the poverty of lower class blacks is a lack of personal responsibility. If you have read King's other articles you will see that this is a point he returns to again and again.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:08 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Colbert King is another Right Winger to use "IGNORANCE" as a way to tell Blacks how we should and should not behave. Colbert King is another Right Winger that use the Blacks should NOT vote Democrat due to Slavery theory and of course this OP lapped it up. I've said it before and will say it again from MY perspective, How in the word do the Republicans believe they will get a majority Black vote when they continue with the Ignorant Rhetoric. Continue with the incomplete statistics, continue with the one = all rhetoric, continue with the bias.
i suggest you take a long browse thru some of colbert king's numerous articles. he's far from a 'Right Winger,' no matter how many times you insist he is.

where does he claim blacks should not vote democrat, for instance? did you just make that up?

Old 02-11-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
It's not hard. Welfare is a stop-gap, ineffective solution to the problem, not the cause of the problem. Poverty, the ignorance and dangerous social conditions produced by poverty, the absence of quality education systems in the inner city, and the discriminatory application of justice are the central problems. The elimination of welfare without first dealing with the other problems will drastically worsen the situation, and it's not simply an issue of hearts and minds, this is an issue of socioeconomics and political geography (we are primarily concerned with inner city communities here).

The article posted in the OP is basically without value with regard to solutions to the situation. It is wholly borne out of frustration, which is understandable, but we see how easy it is co-opted by ignorant right-wingers who quickly turn it into an argument about black pathology and the evil progressive movement to liquidate the black family.
Obviously, money is not the problem, is it?

Database: Per pupil funding 1995-2009 | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Quote:
In 2009, charter schools may be funded at a maxium of $7,580, while public school districts in the Detroit Metro area ranged from $7,316 in per pupil spending to $12,324 in Oakland County's Bloomfield Hills School District.
In the DC schools, per pupil funding can buy you the best of a private education - $15,000+.

Those that receive welfare or any other government assistance should be required to "work" for it, black, white or brown.

There does seem to be a correlation between the plight of the black family/community and the adoption as the dem/lib party as their champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i suggest you take a long browse thru some of colbert king's numerous articles. he's far from a 'Right Winger,' no matter how many times you insist he is.

where does he claim blacks should not vote democrat, for instance? did you just make that up?
Of course he's not, but that will always be the go-to excuse.

Quote:
Bill Cosby's statements were COMPLETELY different than that of Kings, completely different.
No, they weren't. He, like King, is talking about what is going on in the black community.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Obviously, money is not the problem, is it?

Database: Per pupil funding 1995-2009 | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

In the DC schools, per pupil funding can buy you the best of a private education - $15,000+.

Those that receive welfare or any other government assistance should be required to "work" for it, black, white or brown.

There does seem to be a correlation between the plight of the black family/community and the adoption as the dem/lib party as their champions.
Per pupil funding tells you nothing about the way in which that money is spent. Correlation does not equal causation, as any 3rd grader will tell you.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Per pupil funding tells you nothing about the way in which that money is spent. Correlation does not equal causation, as any 3rd grader will tell you.
Didn't claim that. Throwing good money after bad is not the solution. One has to ask where that money goes, if not for the kids. I have a idea it goes to administrative cost, like paying for teacher's pensions and benefits.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:24 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Last system I heard about for employing poor blacks by the government were called chain gangs.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Didn't claim that. Throwing good money after bad is not the solution. One has to ask where that money goes, if not for the kids. I have a idea it goes to administrative cost, like paying for teacher's pensions and benefits.
If that is the case then money is clearly part of the problem, it's simply about making sure the money is spent effectively in those schools. Your idle speculation is useless, as are your other pronouncements in this thread. You still have failed to address the bulk of my argument in the post that you quoted, and have in no way explained how you have the knowledge or background to issue the judgments upon the black community which you have to readily made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies