Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 06:09 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
What confuses is the fact you don't undersand that some people chose to live by a completley different set of cultural values than you do. Also those cultural values do NOT reflect the entire population of Black America in its entirety.

And it's doesn't have a damn thing to with "The Black Community". The "Black Community is no more monolithic than "The White Community".

You don't hear people laying the problems of meth and oxycotin use on "The White Community". You don't hear people laying the problems of White Americans that live in trailer parks on "The White Community".

Yet the situations are very much the same. Individuals with each group chose to have different values and aspirations that is considered "mainstream" by most Americans. In both cases generational poverty and lack of education or opportunity are the root causes.

The reality is people don't change their lives until there is a overwhelming and compelling urge to do so. NOBODY can change a person unless that person is willing to change and ALL TRUE CHANGES HAVE TO COME FROM WITHIN.
And there is the problem! welfare!! overwhelming and compelling urge will never come to them. thanks to uncle SAM

Old 02-06-2011, 06:13 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Quote:
The statistics are tragic, the consequences catastrophic. At least two generations, lost to poverty, illiteracy, violence, fatherless homes.

Colbert I. King - Celebrating black history as the black family disintegrates

Quote:
When Black History Month was celebrated in 1950, according to State University of New York research, 77.7 percent of black families had two parents. As of January 2010, according to the Census Bureau, the share of two-parent families among African Americans had fallen to 38 percent.
Good lord.

What happened? Welfare, dependency on government for your very life? This is a multiple generational disease that is afflicting the black community. The only "out" is an education, but more often than not, the easier "out" seems to be, "get on the rolls", let Uncle Sam take care of it.

This is a truly sad, tragic situation.

Newsroom: Families & Households: Census Bureau Reports Families With Children Increasingly Face Unemployment
Wow, Sanrene. Thanks for bringing this up. I teach in a poor rural african american county in the South. When I first came down and began teaching, I was stunned at how many black single parent families were out there--almost all headed by the mothers. (I grew up in an upper middle class white suburb where almost nobody was divorced.)

My kids' moms are great, and they support me in everything, but I definitely can think of a few kids who could have used a dad around...could have solved a few behavior issues. And I can't help but think how much different this area would be if there were more dads around. Higher achievement would be a start. As a teacher I can only do so much.

It really is a tragedy.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:19 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
And what's the right wing prescription for this?

Cut funding for public education. Increasing education funding has brought us better outcomes, right?
Cut funding for health care. What does that have to do with the black community?
Cut their social security. Who is promoting this for the black community?
Repeal parts of the Civil Rights Act. Huh?

That will help Black families they claim.
No.

What would help the black community is this....

Stop treating them like children who cannot fend for themselves.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:33 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,922,886 times
there is no sugar coating it. its pathetic. no obligation to the kid when the father is out having unprotected sex. the public education system in the inner cities is a complete disaster across the country. in minneapolis they are talking about dropping half the schools.

im mixed(black/white) so I feel I should have the right to speak on this, since I am part black.

i also think those numbers are getting worse for whites as well. in 1996, 22 percent of white families were single parents, im sure that's over 30 percent now. even if its' still at 22 percent, that's still a high number.

the larger circular problem in society is too many kids are having babies when they are teens. this is a already a problem in black communities, and a developing problem in white and hispanic communities.

this shouldn't be about the disintegration of the black family.

what's really happening is the disintegration of the family, period.

especially with all of these new outlets, facebook, twitter, most kids dont even talk to their parents anymore.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:22 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
No.

What would help the black community is this....

Stop treating them like children who cannot fend for themselves.

Whoa!

The truth slaps us in the face!

Old 02-06-2011, 07:28 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
I fully understand the human desire to be "loyal to the race." But it's still disappointing to see/read responses from black apologists who are hell bent on pointing fingers at all sort of reasons while completely shirking the idea of "personal responsibility."

As far as I can tell, hardly any personal responsibility endures in the low income segment of the black community (where personal responsibility is needed the most.)

Sad.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:36 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The statistics are tragic, the consequences catastrophic. At least two generations, lost to poverty, illiteracy, violence, fatherless homes.

Colbert I. King - Celebrating black history as the black family disintegrates

Good lord.

What happened? Welfare, dependency on government for your very life? This is a multiple generational disease that is afflicting the black community. The only "out" is an education, but more often than not, the easier "out" seems to be, "get on the rolls", let Uncle Sam take care of it.

This is a truly sad, tragic situation.

Newsroom: Families & Households: Census Bureau Reports Families With Children Increasingly Face Unemployment
It's all evil whitey's fault I'm sure.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:39 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Just let those atheists tell us what to do. They have been largely to blame for the destruction of those families. The worst part of it all is that the numbers of single mothers among blacks may be higher but look at the number of fatherless white families we have.

The far left recognized long ago that this destruction of families would serve their purposes better than anything.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:40 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manmad View Post
so you want to force religion on everyone and MAKE them believe?
African Americans are very religious and have been all along. Mostly Christian, but also Muslim, even the ones producing children out of wedlock.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:44 AM

974 posts, read 1,587,160 times
I honestly believe it has to do with todays media. Being a pimp is considered cool to all races. That is why you have kids out banging 20 different girls. Most of them unprotected. There is no sense of what is right any more. You have shows showing teen pregnancy. You have shows showing high schoolers having sex. It has gone insane in my honest opinion. I believe that if we were to have shows showing 2 parents, and even push protected sex, our plights will reduce significantly. To lay this at just the Black community is insane. It is being suffered through all races and religions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies