U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-06-2011, 09:04 AM
 
3,190 posts, read 4,286,464 times
Reputation: 1025

Advertisements

Shell: No Beaufort Sea drilling in Arctic for 2011

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- Shell Alaska has dropped plans to drill in the Arctic waters of the Beaufort Sea this year and will concentrate on obtaining permits for the 2012 season, company Vice President Pete Slaiby said Thursday.


The recent remand of air permits issued by the Environmental Protection Agency was the final driver behind the decision, Slaiby said at a news conference.


Alaska receives upward of 90 percent of its general fund revenue from the petroleum industry, and top state officials reacted strongly to the decision. U.S. Sen. Mark Begich, D-Alaska, blamed the Obama administration and the EPA.


"Their foot dragging means the loss of another exploration season in Alaska, the loss of nearly 800 direct jobs and many more indirect jobs," Begich said. "That doesn't count the millions of dollars in contracting that won't happen either at a time when our economy needs the investment."

Read More: Shell: No Beaufort Sea drilling in Arctic for 2011 - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Shell-No-Beaufort-Sea-apf-844337881.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=& ccode= - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2011, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 72,587,340 times
Reputation: 27566
Have them all build wind turbines and solar panel farms.
We're supposed to be going green, aren't we ?

Why all the whining over lost drilling when the direction of this country is GREEN ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 09:21 AM
 
3,190 posts, read 4,286,464 times
Reputation: 1025
This is a direct result of Barry O's "laser-like focus on jobs".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 09:27 AM
 
29,787 posts, read 16,476,970 times
Reputation: 13848
The EPA is going to regulate us back to living in caves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 09:28 AM
 
9,857 posts, read 7,035,504 times
Reputation: 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Shell: No Beaufort Sea drilling in Arctic for 2011

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- Shell Alaska has dropped plans to drill in the Arctic waters of the Beaufort Sea this year and will concentrate on obtaining permits for the 2012 season, company Vice President Pete Slaiby said Thursday.


The recent remand of air permits issued by the Environmental Protection Agency was the final driver behind the decision, Slaiby said at a news conference.


Alaska receives upward of 90 percent of its general fund revenue from the petroleum industry, and top state officials reacted strongly to the decision. U.S. Sen. Mark Begich, D-Alaska, blamed the Obama administration and the EPA.


"Their foot dragging means the loss of another exploration season in Alaska, the loss of nearly 800 direct jobs and many more indirect jobs," Begich said. "That doesn't count the millions of dollars in contracting that won't happen either at a time when our economy needs the investment."

Read More: Shell: No Beaufort Sea drilling in Arctic for 2011 - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Shell-No-Beaufort-Sea-apf-844337881.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=& ccode= - broken link)
The fulfillment IMO of Democrat and Obama's wet dreams. That is where they wake up pissing on YOU in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 72,587,340 times
Reputation: 27566
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
The fulfillment IMO of Democrat and Obama's wet dreams. That is where they wake up pissing on YOU in this case.
It's like everyone wants GREEN but in words only.
Stick to the "drill baby drill" in reality ?

"Let's go green" is nothing more than empty words as you can see from so many that want their oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 12:31 PM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,912,714 times
Reputation: 6453
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's like everyone wants GREEN but in words only.
Stick to the "drill baby drill" in reality ?

"Let's go green" is nothing more than empty words as you can see from so many that want their oil.
You got it right, Green is just another envy word! Drill baby drill!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,475 posts, read 13,846,806 times
Reputation: 6359
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
This is a direct result of Barry O's "laser-like focus on jobs".

Speaker Boehner: When are the jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,492 posts, read 51,433,647 times
Reputation: 24613
We should establish a moratorium on all domestic drilling until we have sucked the rest of the world dry. Then our oil will be worth substantially more than now. This would be a great long term investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:09 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top