Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 01:34 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times

Advertisements

I saw an observation made by one of the Fox anchors that there are no American flags being burned by the demonstrators in Egypt.

I think that is a very good sign. Unlike the revolution in Iran where there were a lot of demonstrations and a lot of American flag burnings I have not seen anything resembling that from these demostrators.

It would seem that they are not anti-american...only anti Mubarak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 02:48 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I saw an observation made by one of the Fox anchors that there are no American flags being burned by the demonstrators in Egypt.

I think that is a very good sign. Unlike the revolution in Iran where there were a lot of demonstrations and a lot of American flag burnings I have not seen anything resembling that from these demostrators.

That's one theory.

Another theory would be one of the irrelevance of US Middle Eastern policy to the Muslim Brotherhood.

Yet another theory is: why would a group that has been banned in 30 years be protesting the US and Obama when they are making the return of the Muslim Brotherhood to a position of power in Egypt possible?

Old 02-06-2011, 02:54 PM

499 posts, read 405,182 times
Quote:

America, this isn't about you.

Seriously though, it was dissatisfaction with the employment, the corruptionand the inequality which inspired them to protest.

That and tunisia.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
That's one theory.

Another theory would be one of the irrelevance of US Middle Eastern policy to the Muslim Brotherhood.

Yet another theory is: why would a group that has been banned in 30 years be protesting the US and Obama when they are making the return of the Muslim Brotherhood to a position of power in Egypt possible?
You theories would have to assume that the Egyptian Brotherhood controls all of the protestors and there are not facts to support that and it extremely unlikely that any one group could control the protestors. The main complaint is living conditions in Egypt and not Israel or foreign control. This is certainly a good thing for the U.S.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:00 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,251 times
Quote:

For once.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:04 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
These rallies are not political at all. THat's what the MM wants you to think. These rallies are because the people are starving because they can't afford food. All mass riots like these are started when the population can't meet it's basic food needs

Old 02-06-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
These rallies are not political at all. THat's what the MM wants you to think. These rallies are because the people are starving because they can't afford food. All mass riots like these are started when the population can't meet it's basic food needs
That is how the protest began in the first days. However, can you not see how it has changed from "bread protest" to actual revolution? The mass riots have had a few things in common, poverty and corrupt governments.

However, when the Muslim Brotherhood broke its most violent prisoners out of Cairo jails and called for an end to the Israel-Egypt peace treaty it most certainly did become political. When Obama chose sides, lifted the ban of travel for the founder of the Muslim Brotherhood's grandson to the US days before this revolution began, yes, it was political. If this were merely about food and fuel prices the people would not be pushing for an immediate regime change rather than waiting for their scheduled elections in four short months.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
That is how the protest began in the first days. However, can you not see how it has changed from "bread protest" to actual revolution? The mass riots have had a few things in common, poverty and corrupt governments.

However, when the Muslim Brotherhood broke its most violent prisoners out of Cairo jails and called for an end to the Israel-Egypt peace treaty it most certainly did become political. When Obama chose sides, lifted the ban of travel for the founder of the Muslim Brotherhood's grandson to the US days before this revolution began, yes, it was political. If this were merely about food and fuel prices the people would not be pushing for an immediate regime change rather than waiting for their scheduled elections in four short months.
When you are starving four months is a long time to wait for food. Mubarak is just stallind and the people of Egypt realize this. Up to this point it has been fairly non-violent protests by the people. There are thugs who take advantage of the situation, but by in large it has been fairly non-violent.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
When you are starving four months is a long time to wait for food. Mubarak is just stallind and the people of Egypt realize this. Up to this point it has been fairly non-violent protests by the people. There are thugs who take advantage of the situation, but by in large it has been fairly non-violent.
I give the credit for the relative non-violence to the Egyptian Army because it is they who have shown great restraint. YMMV.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I give the credit for the relative non-violence to the Egyptian Army because it is they who have shown great restraint. YMMV.
The Egyptian Police are one of the reasons for the protests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies