Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:02 AM

573 posts, read 970,614 times

Advertisements

I'd just like to know how much the defense department spends for weapons to fight a war against a country that is just a shadow of its former self (Russia)

How much do we spend on needless crap in every branch of government because the politicians and lobbiests are in bed together, and I mean both republicans and democrats.

How much do we spend that doesn't do anyone any good except enriching some corporation that probably outsourced the work to a foreign country anyway.

I doubt we'll ever find out. Meanwhile, wikileaks is posting docs about the wars we are in when they should be posting a federal balance sheet for $700 toilets.

All the politicians say they are going to cut the fat but they never actually do. All they ever do is cut education, because really, who needs teachers making people smart so they can one day run against the people that cut education in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 01:07 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Is that a euphemism for "get rid of Napolitano"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post

All the politicians say they are going to cut the fat but they never actually do. All they ever do is cut education, because really, who needs teachers making people smart so they can one day run against the people that cut education in the first place.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:15 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Only like...what's the percentage now? Around 20% of our debt is held by China. And increasing.
This can be solved easily. Since, when Americans voted for fiscal conservatives when they voted republican and instead got war contract spendthrifts, and zero oversight military funds was the dinner call for the hog trough, the breach of contract calls for republicans to pony up for the mess. That's fair and perfectly respectful to their mavericky family values pay your own way in life philosophy.

California should sue Bush for enron, make sure his jury is crooked just like he done them with selective enforcement. Then they can deport him to the hague and cash in on the bounty on his head. He can earn his keep in a traveling circus being paid to have shoes thrown at him to any disgruntled muslim. That's fair.

It's late, I better get to bed before my imagination really runs away from me.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:22 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Now is the time for solutions and it has been right in front of us.

Flat Tax Pros and Cons

Economic Advantages of a Flat Tax

Flat tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Brief Guide to the Flat Tax | The Heritage Foundation

The Benefits of a Flat Tax - Lansing Independent | Examiner.com
I recall Bush (Jr) being asked if he would be interested in going to a flat tax and he said he would, then Nothing happened. If Bush had replaced our currently flawed system with a flat tax he would be far more respected and his legacy would have been far different. Let's hope someone comes along that is willing to do what is needed to fix one of the major issues facing ALL Americans.
Casper

Old 02-08-2011, 09:34 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
The 47% of Americans who pay no federal income tax need to start paying their fair share.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
I think we're going to have to make deep cuts in some areas, spend in places where it will actually work to build the economy, and if we have to, look at raising taxes to get us out of a hole. I know that's not a popular option, but what else would you propose? If jobs are flat, we're going to have to do something to stimulate private sector job creation in this country, or it's never going to get any better.

A flat tax would be great for my pocketbook, but I don't think this country will ever do it. Lower income Americans would have to be exempt, which really defeats the purpose.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:55 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
The 47% of Americans who pay no federal income tax need to start paying their fair share.
The ral problem is they pay nothing but want a voice on now its spent. That is like asking your child what to spend the family grocery money on. Without skin in the game people just want like a child.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:14 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The ral problem is they pay nothing but want a voice on now its spent. That is like asking your child what to spend the family grocery money on. Without skin in the game people just want like a child.

Historically we have never been close to having such a high % of non-income tax payers. Many of those who don't pay income tax are also getting various government handouts as well. I realize politicians put as many people as possible in the non-tax payer portion of the population (through various rebates and tax credits) in exchange for votes. The problem is the system can't function with this small % of payers carrying all the burden. While the recession is partially to blame for the shortage of tax revenue, having nearly half the households not contributing to the system is a huge part of the problem.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:37 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Bolded part is what the article should have read Everyone says America's this and that is broken, well hell, I think the entire country is broken, don't you?
Pretty much. The only thing that works as it should is the military.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:39 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
I'd just like to know how much the defense department spends for weapons to fight a war against a country that is just a shadow of its former self (Russia)

How much do we spend on needless crap in every branch of government because the politicians and lobbiests are in bed together, and I mean both republicans and democrats.

How much do we spend that doesn't do anyone any good except enriching some corporation that probably outsourced the work to a foreign country anyway.

I doubt we'll ever find out. Meanwhile, wikileaks is posting docs about the wars we are in when they should be posting a federal balance sheet for $700 toilets.

Seriously? It's been a long time since teachers in this country made people smart. Don't confuse indoctrination with education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies