Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 04:14 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
What, exactly, do you know about Florida's "bloated public sector unions and their lavish pay, pensions, and benefits?"
I'd like to hear the answer to that, myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 12:07 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The lobbyists are lined up to push for the high-speed rail.
Castor aligns with business lobbyists to push for high-speed rail | Florida Independent: News. Politics. Media

I cant believe he is going to try to do this to the elderly and the schools here, either.
1. What does high speed rail have to do with elderly and schools?
2. It's federally funded...
3. tourism is Florida's #1 business. I-4 is a mess... This will bring jobs to the state. it is a win-win.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:10 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
And he won't create a single job in doing so.

But he'll put 8500 people out of work.

Funny how that works, eh?

I do not consider a goverment job to be a producing job. after all they have to steal money from the private sector to get a paycheck.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It is. He'll end up having to raise taxes eventually. If not him, then his successor will.
you pro-tax people always say that. florida has no state tax, and they managed fine under Jeb Bush. Florida's tourism will get going again with all the baby boomers retiring soon. People are ready to spend their money on some fun in the sun... Florida will be ok.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
How obtuse is it for people that live in another state to tout their Governor in a thread about Floridas governor, just because they are both of the same party?
Its not a one-size-fits-all kind of approach.
And what does Christie have to do with Scott? Comparing the 2 is rather disingenuous, to say the least.
At least Christie has experience holding public office, Scott does not.
I still wish Christ hadnt deserted his post. -sigh-
so now you're a Crist supporter? that guy has less character than John Kerry and Bart Stupak.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:49 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
And he won't create a single job in doing so.

But he'll put 8500 people out of work.

Funny how that works, eh?
And? Why does the government have to create jobs? People whine over federal and state employees. Their pensions are to great. They don't work their full hours, blah, blah, blah. So why should the government create jobs?

You realize, of course, the jobs are funded by tax payers? What happens to those jobs, when there is no more tax payer money?

The states with the highest state employees, are the ones doing poorly right now. The federal government with all its federal employees and look at the state of it.

How about we do something novel? Let the government run the country, not worry about who and/or what gets a job. That isn't a requirement for the government.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:11 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Taking an unusual tack to dealing with a $3.6 billion budget deficit, Florida Gov. Rick Scott unveiled a budget Monday that cuts $4 billion in property and corporate income taxes.
The budget, which the newly installed governor has said is the nation's most fiscally conservative, also cuts $4.6 billion in spending from services such as Medicaid and prisons. Public employees would also have to contribute 5% for their pension benefits, which will save $2.8 billion over two years.

Florida Governor Rick Scott wants to cut taxes by $4 billion - Feb. 7, 2011

good
I feel sorry for the people (police, firefigters, etc) he is putting out of their jobs, but I welcome the property tax break. I will take the savings and add to the principal of my mortgage.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:12 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I do not consider a goverment job to be a producing job. after all they have to steal money from the private sector to get a paycheck.
Tell that to the military, police and firefighters.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:32 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
And when it does fail, what then?
Florida will be in dire straits, not like we arent close to it now.
When do you liberals FINALLY get it. It's BEEN a failure and that's why they are IN THIS MESS. Go ahead, continue to blindly follow the failed policies of the past, and when someone comes in and tries to fix it you whine and moan about "but, but, the gubment, the gubment!!! It cannot function without more taxes!!!"

Sheesh. Are you people daft or something?

Old 02-10-2011, 04:34 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
Actually, its really only a problem for me when non-Floridians try to call me out with an off-topic post in a thread about Florida.
Have fun shoveling those snowdrifts now!
Your post, as a usual lib post, doesn't even respond to facts. NICE deflection; you guys and gals on the left are really good at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies