Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:28 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,356,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Don't worry, when you're proven wrong and it creates jobs, you can always backpedal and credit Obama's federal stimulus plans. WIN-WIN
Ahahaha very good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 01:30 PM

46,217 posts, read 26,980,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
And he won't create a single job in doing so.

But he'll put 8500 people out of work.

Funny how that works, eh?
That's a pretty exact number....care to give a link...or are what are you trying to do?

Old 02-08-2011, 01:30 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,423,051 times
What do property taxes in Florida support? Here in CA, they support schools, sewers and other city services. And while I'd love to see my property taxes reduced, that would necessarily remove monies from these much-needed services.

So if FL's property tax system is anything like CA's, it's not just the programs he admits to cutting that will lose funding, but many others, as well.

At a time when no state can afford to reduce revenues, this seems extremely short-sighted and foolish to me.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:31 PM

22,156 posts, read 19,397,646 times
It seems Governor Medicare Fraud is using the same Accounting tactics that got him a major fine....

Old 02-08-2011, 01:32 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,526,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Taking an unusual tack to dealing with a $3.6 billion budget deficit, Florida Gov. Rick Scott unveiled a budget Monday that cuts $4 billion in property and corporate income taxes.
The budget, which the newly installed governor has said is the nation's most fiscally conservative, also cuts $4.6 billion in spending from services such as Medicaid and prisons. Public employees would also have to contribute 5% for their pension benefits, which will save $2.8 billion over two years.

Florida Governor Rick Scott wants to cut taxes by $4 billion - Feb. 7, 2011

good

Now this is the type of Conservative Governor I could get with. In a matter of what a month, he took a look at straight across the board cuts and not limit his focus to Unions. Can we swap, give Florida Christie and we take Scott???? Please....

Old 02-08-2011, 01:33 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,111,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
It isn't the gov't's job to create jobs just for the sake of creating jobs. The steps Florida is taking will ensure Florida's long term financial/economic viability and promote private sector growth.

Oh yes, that is what was promised.

I don't expect it will be delivered.

At any rate, not every Republican in the Florida Legislature is an idiot teabagger. This budget won't get through.

Because all politics are local, people.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:35 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,111,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
That's a pretty exact number....care to give a link...or are what are you trying to do?
Read the budget - 8500+ state jobs eliminated.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:37 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,030,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
The link in the OP specifically says "And some 8,700 jobs would be eliminated, with the greatest numbers coming from children and family services and corrections."

I'm having trouble finding the good in what the governer did.

It's good that he's trying to deal with the deficit, but I fail to see cutting taxes like he did as a good thing.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:37 PM

46,217 posts, read 26,980,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Oh yes, that is what was promised.

I don't expect it will be delivered.

At any rate, not every Republican in the Florida Legislature is an idiot teabagger. This budget won't get through.

Because all politics are local, people.
name calling at post #16, wow....great job....

What WAS promised...is shovel ready jobs....ahhh nope that did not happen.....

How about unemployment will not go above...oh well you get the picture....

Old 02-08-2011, 01:39 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,915,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It will prove to be interesting. I'd like to see the numbers on the number of legal residents in FL who are on the Medicaid roles. From personal oservation of multi-generational native Flroidians I suspect dependency upon Medicaid it is quite high compared to other states.

It will be an interesting experiment on how Floridians react to "austerity measures".
Floridians have been on such measures for awhile, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies