Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:02 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Given your attitude I'm surprised you don't just think they should be executed and ground up into puppy chow.

Most kids with bad attitudes are a reflection of crappy parents. Note that I said most, not all.

The problem is with divorce rates, and single parent households skyrocketing as well as a dramatic increase in the number of dual income households, kids take the back burner.

I can think of very few model students that had parents that were apathetic. On the other hand I can think of almost every pain in the neck student that I had and they had parents that didn't care, or they felt that if their kid was a problem, it was automatically the teachers fault.

Hey, who cares about the source of thier problems. Granted, it is probably a poor home life and poor parenting.

Regardless, one child does not have the right to be disruptive and jeopardize the educational process for those who are trying to learn. It is obtrusive and selfish to suggest that a system should tolerate poor behavior and thus drag down the rest of the students to their level of misery.

Of course they should be thrown out of school. School is a key to one's future and if one is not interested in having a future, so be it. Life is full of choices and if one chooses to ignore all the benefits of a free public education, then that is thier choice.

Spending billions on a losing game is a very poor investment. What should be done with these thugs? Probably the best solution would be to enroll them in a pre-military boot camp, upon "graduation" they would spend several years in the military. Leaving them in the public schools will result in thier certain failure and jeopardize others as well. Get them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 08:42 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
The Catholic Schools don't put up with or tolerate the crap that go's on in Public Schools, they nip it in the bud, immediately. They rule with a iron fist. They are stricter also.

If i remember correctly Catholic class sizes are much smaller, the kids that do attend Catholic Schools, i believe do, with wanting to do their very best.

Not all but most of the children who attend Catholic Schools, have both Paretns around also, does that mean antyhing, i don't know you tell me. The parents are involved with their children's class and homework. Today's Parents who have children attend Pulbic Schools, feel that the school is the parents, and the one that teaches right and wrong, and blames the School for everything. Catholic School is much more strict, and usually has zero tolerance for nonsense.

I guess you didn't read all the previous posts. I never had less than 30 kids in my classes.

With discipline, you can handle more kids.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Let me tell you about catholic school teachers, they get paid almost nothing and their kids don't get a break on tuition.

Emphasis on education and not catering to the lowest common denominator would be a good start.
When I went to school, both parochial and public schools were equal.
We had A, B, C divisions; they had it in the public schools, too.

I taught in the public school system. Parents whined about their poor babies having to study and compete. They demanded dumbing down of curriculum to meet the lowest common denominator, not pushing all students to excel. Excellence in sports is not equal to excellence in education.

Often. Hardly. Some schools may, but someone's always paying the bill. Either the cost is being borne by other tuition paying families or someone is footing the bill. You can't generalize about all catholic schools. Each diocese provides different services and has different quality schools.

It's silly to think that you can use a cookie cutter to describe the schools.
I would suggest you heed your own advice. Some Catholic schools DO give a break on tuition to teachers.

When I went to school the Catholic schools were far above the public. (My 3 year older uncle lived with us and went to public schools while I attended Catholic schools.

Today things have changed. My grandkids all are/were in Advanced Placement classes. The parents of these kids are the reason these programs are in the school. They demand more from the students and the school. It takes 2 to tango as they say.

Schools with Advanced Placement curriculum are doing much better than those that don't. This not to say that the other kids in the school are doing better or worse.

It probably comes down to the parents and what they really want.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I wouldn't kick them out early..move them into vocational programs.
They may not have the ability for calculus but just might make an excellent car mechanic. Only they don't get a chance because "everyone is college material".
IMO, the bad ones should be seperated from the good ones.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I went to catholic school from grades K-8. Ugh. I feel so bad my parents' money was wasted. Would rather had some extra useful classes than learning about fairytales and being told lies and trained to be a bigot.
Awful experience. Private NON RELIGION school is the way to go, IMO.
I don't think it was the school.

I went to Catholic schools as was NEVER taught to be a bigot.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:34 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What the heck are you talking about.
Are you saying that private schooling is free? There are always costs borne by someone.
For everything in life.

The rest of your post makes no sense.
The point was that you argued against my statement that not all kids in Catholic Schools come from higher income families nor are the highest achievers. Charitable scholarships are available. You took it to the extreme and diverted the discussion. You also ridicule other posters for giving personal anecdotes. Yet you, yourself, frequently rely on personal anecdotes. You seem to feel that only you, yourself, are allowed to use the word "always" or back up an argument with personal anecdotes.

But, I really don't think I needed to spell this out for you.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:44 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I don't think it was the school.

I went to Catholic schools as was NEVER taught to be a bigot.
Here, here!

Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Why the kids “demoted” to vocational schools should be burdened with the disruptive and obnoxious. Throw the clowns out and let them become criminals to survive.

FWIW I studied both a vocational and an academic program in High School. I was a skilled machinist, it takes continuous practice to remain sharp, but make more money and respect as a scientist. I do miss fabricating machines out of raw metal from hand drawn sketches.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:37 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Here, here!

Well we were clearly taught that setting foot in a Baptist church was a mortal sin and resulted in immediate excommunication.

Now that is pretty biased. And untrue. But still taught in the late 40/50s.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:47 AM

19 posts, read 37,225 times
"Regardless, one child does not have the right to be disruptive and jeopardize the educational process for those who are trying to learn. "

Exactly!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies