Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:51 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,327,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
How did you decide "it's not about effort"?

My experience is just the opposite. It's all about effort. Anyone with above average intelligence can become rich if they have the desire.
It was all about the effort with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 09:53 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
It's not negativity. I'm very happy with my status in life. I'm not rich, but I have what I need. I have WAY more life experience at age 25 than many people have in a lifetime. For that I'm grateful.

However, I'm simply commenting on the fact that it is not sheer coincidence that tax cuts and cuts in public spending (education and other social services) have created class rigidity.

With the hallmarks of the modern middle-upper middle class being more and more expensive (education, healthcare, home ownership) and out pacing income, we see that the increased precariousness of the middle class.

The rich have gotten richer while the rest have either stagnated or gotten poorer.

The lowest segment of the population has actually gotten poorer.
I reject your premise as 80% of millionaires came from the middle class and many new people are becoming millionaires every day.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
It's not negativity. I'm very happy with my status in life. I'm not rich, but I have what I need. I have WAY more life experience at age 25 than many people have in a lifetime. For that I'm grateful.

However, I'm simply commenting on the fact that it is not sheer coincidence that tax cuts and cuts in public spending (education and other social services) have created class rigidity.

With the hallmarks of the modern middle-upper middle class being more and more expensive (education, healthcare, home ownership) and out pacing income, we see that the increased precariousness of the middle class.

The rich have gotten richer while the rest have either stagnated or gotten poorer.

The lowest segment of the population has actually gotten poorer.

However, conservatives tend to believe that they are the best for solving this crisis. Instead of funding for more university education or better job training or even for more government subsidized loans for small businesses, conservatives typically call for tax cuts for the rich. This money is typically
not invested in local enterprises.
I needed none of that. Just a HS education.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:54 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,723,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
When people say brains and hard work will make you rich what they really mean is 'excessive and sustained hard work' and 'a cunningly quick mind' can make you rich eventually.

It's not a matter of working hard 40hrs a week and having a good brain. It's working insanely hard every waking hour generally at your own business and keeping an eye out for all opportunities, all risks, and all ways to make the most of your money while keeping expenses under your control. That's how it's done.

Getting rich is easy. Spend less than you make over a lifetime should set you up for retirement.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:26 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,102,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Hard work makes you rich. Yeah, right.

The fact that I do not have very much money does not make me poor because I add my family and friends as assets. This does not mean I would not take a large lottery win and enjoy the results.

I had a business I spent all my time, effort and capital trying to grow. As I saw myself running out of everything and market changes created by Ronnie Raygun's government pretty much eliminated any chance of success, I closed it and went back to work for others. I consider it a good move because I am pretty content with my current life.

After I retire and have both time and health insurance as part of my pension I will probably start another business just for grins. It will be a sort of self supporting hobby in the alternate energy business. I figure it will work because I will not need to support myself during the development phase and can spend any income on growing the business.

None of this is relevant to the observation that most rich people started off that way and simply did not squander their inheritance.
So what is your point there? That businesses shouldn't be allowed to fail? I would say investing in a failure of a business is squandering. How could you have no fault?

Old 02-09-2011, 11:36 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,102,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodiesel4x4 View Post
You don't have to be smart to become rich. Look at our sports figures.
Sometimes when they are no longer playing sports you hear about them later and they are broke. I think this is where intelligence comes in. You have to put thought into maintaining wealth and learn how to do something else or invest when your life changes, and all along they should have been preparing for the day they would no longer be bringing in millions from playing a game. Earning it is one thing, knowing what to do with it will keep you rich.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:37 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,384,320 times
First and foremost, one must be willing to work hard. Bill Gates never finished college. Look at the facebook guy...

In America, the successful people normally work for themselves and pay their taxes 1/4ly and medicare and SS themselves. I have never seen anyone be financially successful working the 9 - 5 grind 5 days weekly for someone else.

When you have your own business, your primary aim is to succeed, prosper, grow and eventually become financially independent. This business of putting a milion dollars as being "rich" is silly. Financial independence for me may not be for you, but it also may be for your neighbor. It is relative to what you want out of life, not what someone or a government is willing to GIVE you.

Last edited by brien51; 02-09-2011 at 12:14 PM..

Old 02-09-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Sometimes when they are no longer playing sports you hear about them later and they are broke. I think this is where intelligence comes in. You have to put thought into maintaining wealth and learn how to do something else or invest when your life changes, and all along they should have been preparing for the day they would no longer be bringing in millions from playing a game. Earning it is one thing, knowing what to do with it will keep you rich.
I just read an article about the NBA and the NFL sending new players to classes for that reason.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:41 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
I am middle class. My paarnets would say I am upper mif=ddle class. The chinese woud say we are all rich or at elast middle class.Lots of hard working pweople are rich by even our standards.Otherwise Obama would not want to tax them so much as it would make any sense.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:41 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,723,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I just read an article about the NBA and the NFL sending new players to classes for that reason.
And I thought they were college graduates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies