Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 08:42 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Oh, I don't know - I found some of the people I went to grad school with to be plenty dumb!

Then again, some of the most intelligent and successful people I know never went to college - one never knows.
Your second sentence is definitely true, as I know plenty of intelligent folks without degrees (some even without HS diplomas). But I think the number of dumb graduates would be somewhat lower, as you must at LEAST be smart enough to complete the assignments - or really good at cheating without getting caught, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 08:45 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Your second sentence is definitely true, as I know plenty of intelligent folks without degrees (some even without HS diplomas). But I think the number of dumb graduates would be somewhat lower, as you must at LEAST be smart enough to complete the assignments - or really good at cheating without getting caught, lol.
Fair enough - I guess it depends how we want to define "intelligence."

ETA: Perhaps, like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder to some extent?

Old 02-09-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Fair enough - I guess it depends how we want to define "intelligence."

ETA: Perhaps, like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder to some extent?
True, but I think we can all recognize general intelligence - and I'm not talking about street smarts OR book smarts necessarily, just one's overall "brain power." Being in the educational field myself, and having worked with a lot of ESL students, I've learned to recognize true intelligence... even in those who don't speak a word of English, it's quite obvious who's smart or not.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
But where would those 50 million be without their degree? Income also varies by degree. IMHO it's more intelligent to work hard towards a useful degree than work hard towards an English degree.

Average Income:
$109,600 Professional Degree
$89,400 Doctoral Degree
$62,300 Master's Degree
$52,200 Bachelor's Degree
$38,200 Associate's Degree
$36,800 Some College
$30,400 High School Graduate
$23,400 Some High School
WOW... I was making a B.S.-Masters salary when i retired in 2003...grant you thats some overtime not base...not to bad for a hillbilly.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:59 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
True, but I think we can all recognize general intelligence - and I'm not talking about street smarts OR book smarts necessarily, just one's overall "brain power." Being in the educational field myself, and having worked with a lot of ESL students, I've learned to recognize true intelligence... even in those who don't speak a word of English, it's quite obvious who's smart or not.
Again, I don't disagree with you. I am in the psych field, and I believe the evidence supports that although there are predictors of academic achievement, one of those being measure of intelligence via IQ, it's not necessarily a 1:1. But point taken, there is generally an overall level of intelligence required to get into higher education programs.

Then, again, I may just be feeling cantankerous and opinionated this morning.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Again, I don't disagree with you. I am in the psych field, and I believe the evidence supports that although there are predictors of academic achievement, one of those being measure of intelligence via IQ, it's not necessarily a 1:1. But point taken, there is generally an overall level of intelligence required to get into higher education programs.

Then, again, I may just be feeling cantankerous and opinionated this morning.
Hehe... I'm sick today, so I am pretty cantankerous (not to mention loopy) too.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:11 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,439 times
I tend to agree. There are countless examples of successful people who never finished/attended college. I think the key ingredients are drive and determination to either rise above your circumstances or create something really awesome that the world needs (eg., Bill Gates, Windows platform). But its important to be smart AND work hard.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
But where would those 50 million be without their degree? Income also varies by degree. IMHO it's more intelligent to work hard towards a useful degree than work hard towards an English degree.
Hey... I have a degree in English! But I used it to get into graduate school, so I suppose that cancels out my "useless" degree. Not that I'm making tons of money now (with the Master's), but I do love my career - which is even more important, IMO. And to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure what I would have done with JUST the BA in English. As my grandmother so nicely put it, "What are you going to do? Open an English store?"

Old 02-09-2011, 09:30 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times
"It is extremely hard to become a self made millionaire or very wealthy."

That's the whole point. It is extremely hard, much more so than 90% of people are willing to do. The level of effort, length of time to accomplish, creativity necessary, attention to detail, single mindedness, all these things lead to a unique personality. That, including a bit of luck as a minor component are all necessary.

This is what 'founders' all have in common. These are the real entrepreneurs and are a far different type than those who had it given to them or took over later. I know many people like this and was one myself. Don't think that those who came from families with money necessarily were aided by them. Someone with those traits consider it a point of pride to do it on their own. The ones who were setup are more likely to be the manager type which is far different kind of person.

PS- I'd never deny my people $5 for donuts. Your workers greatly compound your ability to accomplish your goals, or can hurt them. Treat them right.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:36 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purger View Post
Your theory/logic is flawed in many ways, I will name just two:

1.) You assume that most people who finish college are intelligent, which in my experience couldn't be further from the truth.

2.) You set the limit for being rich at 1 million USD, which would mean that somebody with 900000 USD in the bank is poor or middle class, which is of course ridiculous.

and 3) he assumes they are all hard working, which is certainly not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies