Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2011, 04:09 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

Some of the worst accidents or near accidents I've seen or been part of have been from one jackhole speeding and passing (or attempting to) some other jackhole on the right because the person in the number one lane refused to move over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 04:21 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Default You are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Thats not what you said earlier
I did offer violin music. I didn't say I wasn't passing traffic to the right of me, did I?

Quite frankly I think it's hysterically funny that everyone "ASSUMES", that I said I plan on sitting at 55 in the left lane because it felt good...

You need to read what I wrote, how I wrote it. I do not need to slow down and get into the right lane because some jerkwad who wants to go 70 in a 55 wants to get around me.. Let me get the violin out for you, too darned bad.

If however, there is no one to the right of me, or traffic is flowing at at least the speed limit, then I will be happy to be in the right lane..

AGAIN! for those who have a limited comprehension of the english language, or those who like to fill in their own blanks, because they may BE blank......

Nowhere did I say I would sit at 55 while moving slower than, or the same speed as, traffic to the right of me. If I am faster then them, and I stop you from intentionally and willfully breaking the speed limit, too darned bad!

Old 02-10-2011, 04:23 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Default rotflmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmoveover View Post
You've got to be kidding, right? Trying to get a reaction, okay you got one. Although I hate to do it because of how it affects everybody else. The only solution I've found to drivers like you is once I've finally got around you to go even slower than you are okay. There's a point for everybody and when you are finally fed up and try to go around I'm there before you as well.
If I am passing traffic that is to the right of me, how do you plan on going around me.. Drive on the dirt?

Old 02-10-2011, 05:32 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I did offer violin music. I didn't say I wasn't passing traffic to the right of me, did I?

Quite frankly I think it's hysterically funny that everyone "ASSUMES", that I said I plan on sitting at 55 in the left lane because it felt good...

You need to read what I wrote, how I wrote it. I do not need to slow down and get into the right lane because some jerkwad who wants to go 70 in a 55 wants to get around me.. Let me get the violin out for you, too darned bad.

If however, there is no one to the right of me, or traffic is flowing at at least the speed limit, then I will be happy to be in the right lane..

AGAIN! for those who have a limited comprehension of the english language, or those who like to fill in their own blanks, because they may BE blank......

Nowhere did I say I would sit at 55 while moving slower than, or the same speed as, traffic to the right of me. If I am faster then them, and I stop you from intentionally and willfully breaking the speed limit, too darned bad!
Its not an assumption.

Its

You said that you'd prevent people from "breaking the law" if you wanted, and if they didn't like it, to darned bad.

That indicates that you aren't saying if you're passing someone, that indicates that if you feel that someone is driving to fast, then if you want to slow them down then "too darned bad"

Then you followed that post up with the one saying that it is the law in Virginia that you can ride in the passing lane doing the speed limit if you want, which was proven wrong by me, thank you very much.

Now you're trying to say that you never meant that, and that people are assuming?

Old 02-10-2011, 05:35 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Here is another.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:16 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
No, the scenario doesn't call for that. Let me repeat.

Max speed limit: 70 mph.
I'm going 65 mph (legal) on left lane (per you, should always be legal).
You were going 70 mph, until you're behind me. Now, you're following me at 65 mph.

Does this present you with any problem? Remember, I'm not breaking laws as you would like to see them (driving within speed limit, and allowed to drive on left lane).
No biggie, just wait for an opening on the right, pass you, smile and give you the one finger salute as I passed you.

Idiots driving in the left lane and refusing to get over like in your scenario are what causes accidents.

I had something similar to the scenario you described.... The person in the left was doing the speed limit, there was a semi in the right lane doing the same speed... mile after mile the car would not speed up nor slow down, flashing the high beams had no effect...

Sooooo, popped the car into 3rd and slowly crept up behind the car

tap

tap

tap

They got the hint, sped up and moved over.... and yes I had a good train of cars and trucks behind me at the time

People who think they are the high and mighty like you can be dangerous for everyone else on the road....

Last edited by plwhit; 02-10-2011 at 06:28 PM..

Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
I drive the busy Calif freeways in the left lane, i do have a fast foot never have gotten a ticket as of yet, in all the years i have been driving, many many many years.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:58 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Here is another.
Excellent!!!!

Old 02-10-2011, 07:43 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,532 times
Quote:
Here is another.

I need to make one of those and use it

Old 02-10-2011, 08:10 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Regardless of what's happening out there in the real world on our freeways and how you personally feel about drivers doing the speed limit in the left lane, it appears to me this proposed ordinance would ticket lawful drivers in order to accommodate those who are breaking the law.

A state senator is sponsoring legislation that would ticket drivers for holding up traffic in the left lane.
Marion Player drives for a living and said there's nothing worse than slow drivers in the left lane.
"They need to move over to the slow lane and give the faster traffic a chance to get by," Player said
Tim Davis says it would be ridiculous to ticket drivers who are doing the speed limit just because they're in the left lane.

...Critics said the bill is encouraging drivers to speed, but Senator Mike Bennett who is sponsoring the proposed legislation disagrees.
"It will not encourage speeders. It will tell people there are speeders out there- - get out of their way," Bennett said.

Drivers Could Be Ticketed For Driving Slow In Left Lane - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando

Signs that say "Slower Traffic Keep Right" mean slower than the posted speed LIMIT. You're not obstructing traffic if you're obeying the law in the left lane.

(Disclaimer: Reformed speeder and tailgater.)
Driving the speed limit in the left lane isn't appropriate on any road I've ever driven on. And I'm not a fast driver either -- I will go with traffic mostly but never more than 15 above the posted speed limit. But I support this law, holding up traffic in the left lane causes accidents.

This to me is a "spirit of the law vs. letter of the law" debate. Yes, technically you are breaking the law by going above the speed limit in the left lane, but driving the speed limit in the left lane is not safe, and speed limits are designed for safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies