Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 12:43 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

http://www.city-data.com/forum/17796038-post40.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
So, you are saying that I should not restrict your ability to break the law?

Technically, if I am doing the speed limit, and I am in the left lane, the only thing obstructed are those who desire to willfully, and intentionally break the law.
Drive the Speed Limit in the Left Lane, Get a Ticket?
Quote:
Well, if you want to be mad that I won't let you intentionally and willfully break the law, let me get some violin music playing for you.
Hmmmmm,

Quote:
That's what the emergency brake is for. Slow the rear of the car down, keep it behind the front, and let you smack em again, causing more damage to the car, and requiring a greater output from your insurance to them, as well as your well deserved ticket. @@@
Quote:
However if I am doing the speed limit, AND I am driving along PASSING traffic in the right hand lane, as happens quite often, the I am perfectly legitimate in the left lane.

Not so bewildering, in fact I bet thousands of people drive the same way.. Hopefully their neighbors appreciate the respect for the law.
So, 60 posts later, you say if; never that you were only passing.

Quote:
1. Never said I did it illegally, when I am in the left lane, it's legitimate. What I DID say, was it wasn't illegal for me in my state, to drive in the left lane, and if I am doing the speed limit, and passing traffic driving slower than I, and they are in the right hand lane, and I am in the left, then I am still in the right. WHERE did I say I drove there illegally? Comprehend much?

2. Speeding is breaking the law, and if someone is NOT speeding, and your speeding causes the accident, you are indeed culpable.

3. So, because someone else does it, or CAN do it, you have theorized it is ok for you to break the law?

4. If the speed limit allows for 80 to 85, then drive the speed. If not, I hope you get a tkt every time you exceed the speed limit, till your license is revoked.

The need to make speeding tkt's incrementally more expensive also, the first, minimal fine, within 6 months, the next 5x the fine, within 6 months, the next 10x the fine, etc etc... It's one thing to get pulled for speeding if you have made a legitimate mistake, and people who have made the mistake tend to be more careful with their speeds, the rest.. let em pay till they are broke, or don't have a license. Makes it safer for the rest of us.
If you look at your posts 40 and 41.
You might want to refresh your memory of what you posted…

Until you got called on it, you implied that you would stop people from breaking the law by driving at the speed limit in the passing lane.
You said nothing about passing until called on it.

I guess purposely misleading people after numerous opportunities to clarify is one way to post on a forum.
But it's certainly not the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 12:43 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
My original premise was, I can drive the speed limit in the left hand lane much to your dissatisfaction.
So can I, to your frustration and simply holding up traffic for nuisance to all, all the while driving within legal speed limits in states that do not choose to force slow drivers to stay on the right lane.

And that will only demonstrate a degree of stupidity and lack of awareness of the surroundings.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:48 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
Regardless of the speed limit, if you are in the left lane and someone is coming up behind you, merge to the right as soon as you can do so safely.
Such a simple concept that so many fail to grasp.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:23 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Default I clarified it

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Hmmmmm,

So, 60 posts later, you say if; never that you were only passing.

If you look at your posts 40 and 41.
You might want to refresh your memory of what you posted…

Until you got called on it, you implied that you would stop people from breaking the law by driving at the speed limit in the passing lane.
You said nothing about passing until called on it.

I guess purposely misleading people after numerous opportunities to clarify is one way to post on a forum.
But it's certainly not the best.
I clarified it on several occasions. Sorry if that slipped by you on each occasion.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Darkatt

In your state of VA the law states the following...

46.2-804(1)46.2-842.1 requires vehicles in the left lane to yield to faster traffic; State Police say this applies even when faster traffic is speeding.

That means you are indeed breaking the law by not moving out of the passing lane even if the person behind you is speeding. In other words, get out of the left lane and let people by you before you get run over.
But you can not be charegd when your doing the posted liit. That would require that they take those sing on the posted linit under miostake of lw which is always a affirmative defense. It means that the stae can not tell you spped over a ceretqin limit is illegal then charge you for not doing it. Or that they can say its Ok to spped over the limit except to aviod a collsion and then charge you for it. Doesn't matter hwat the state police may have said in court room when they ticket spped being a factor in a accident.That is why the courts have long held the mistake of law defense when a person relys on the word of a recognised authority that applies the law.They can not allow slower traffic form using the left lane and they can only allow it for passing but they can not aloow you to speed faster than the posted limit and release you from liaiblty in a civil court for doing so. If a police officer directs you do make a illegal mocement that is a defense in any court if proved except for doing it safely.There is always a catch 22 as they say. Sppeding over the limit is always deemed unsafe by the very nature of the reason to have the limit.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:47 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But you can not be charegd when your doing the posted liit. That would require that they take those sing on the posted linit under miostake of lw which is always a affirmative defense. It means that the stae can not tell you spped over a ceretqin limit is illegal then charge you for not doing it. Or that they can say its Ok to spped over the limit except to aviod a collsion and then charge you for it. Doesn't matter hwat the state police may have said i court room when they ticket spped being a factor in a accident.That is why the courts have long held the mistake of law defense when a person relys on the owrd of a recognised authority that applies the law.
You can be charged in Alaska, whether you are driving the posted limit or not. If there is five or more vehicles immediately behind you regardless of your speed, the law requires that you pull over and give them the right-of-way.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:51 PM

30 posts, read 41,521 times
Hi.
Even if you are doing the speed limit, you have to give way to faster drivers. That´s just courtesy. Drivers, who don´t do this automaticly and provoke the drivers behind them, are a danger to everyone on the road and should go back to driving school. It´s so simple, even I with my 19 years dont´t have any problems with other drivers.
Fatal crashes often happen at speeds ranging from 50 to 80 mph where there´s high traffic density.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:00 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,207 times
Quote:
Why is it so difficult for you to understand, that I was told that EVEN IF I AM PASSING TRAFFIC THAT IS TO MY RIGHT, IF THERE ARE 5 CARS BEHIND ME WAITING TO PASS THAT I WILL GET A TKT, is what was being discussed in that last exchange?

READ the last part.. I am driving the speed limit, AND, I am passing people.. Why should I get a tkt, because there are people who want to break the law and drive faster than the speed limit?
When cars are coming up behind you in the left lane, merge over. It's as simple as that. If you want to pass people without breaking the speed limit, do so when the left lane is clear, and merge back over as soon as you see someone going faster than you in your rear view mirror. If someone wants to do 80 in a 65 in the left lane, let them take that risk.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:14 PM

30 posts, read 41,521 times
People should realize that fatal crashes on highways dont´t happen because of high speeds. If someone is just driving in the left lane, traffic will be backed up. This is extremely dangerous and even on the german autobahn stretches with speed limits aren´t safer than unlimited stretches. Traffic density and tailgating drivers are the main problem which contributes to crashes and highway congestion.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:20 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn driver View Post
People should realize that fatal crashes on highways dont´t happen because of high speeds. If someone is just driving in the left lane, traffic will be backed up. This is extremely dangerous and even on the german autobahn stretches with speed limits aren´t safer than unlimited stretches. Traffic density and tailgating drivers are the main problem which contributes to crashes and highway congestion.
"...But officier, I was not tailgating, I was making use of his slipstream!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies