Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 12:24 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toninole View Post
Embryos are a collection of cells.
So are you.

Quote:
They are no more "human" than the skin I slough off daily.
So the skin you slough off every day will, left under normal conditions, develop into a breathing, thinking, speaking, adult? Those are some skin cells you got there!

Quote:
They require a mother
So did you. Are you less human for it?

Quote:
to become human and then only when they can breathe.
So "breathing" is your definition of "human?" Seems rather arbitrary to me. Why not "blue eyes" mean you're human? Makes as much sense as "breathing at the moment." If I hold my breath till I've turned blue, have I become inhuman -- or just a silly human?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinewebsearcher View Post
no, embryos are not human. they are a mass of cells with the potential of becoming human. but a human is something that posseses sapience and a soul. without these two things an organism cannot be "murdered". an embryo is "alive" in the same way a plant or virus is alive. but without sapience and a soul its destruction cannot constitute murder
If that is your definition of human, then I certainly hope you are a strict vegetarian. Otherwise you are murdering at every meal. Animals possess sapience -- albeit at varying levels of complexity.

One you start talking "soul"...well, then you are talking metaphysics and religion, not medicine and science.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:26 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
no, embryos are not human. they are a mass of cells with the potential of becoming human. but a human is something that posseses sapience and a soul. without these two things an organism cannot be "murdered". an embryo is "alive" in the same way a plant or virus is alive. but without sapience and a soul its destruction cannot constitute murder
Who decided this?

Old 07-26-2007, 01:53 PM

82 posts, read 305,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
If that is your definition of human, then I certainly hope you are a strict vegetarian. Otherwise you are murdering at every meal. Animals possess sapience -- albeit at varying levels of complexity.

animals do not posses human conciousness. it is the difference between intelligent creature and beast. and the killing of which is the difference between hunting and murder.

killing a deer is not murder. it doesnt have true sapiance. an embryo is no more capable of being murdered than a snail

Old 07-26-2007, 01:55 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,632 times
Quote:
animals do not posses human conciousness. it is the difference between intelligent creature and beast. and the killing of which is the difference between hunting and murder.

killing a deer is not murder. it doesnt have true sapiance. an embryo is no more capable of being murdered than a snail
Next the RTL'ers will be saying that a woman who refuses the sexual advances of a man is a murderer. After all, left to take it's natural course, one thing leads to another, and if she AGREED, they might have a baby.

Uggh, that would mean I know a lot of murderers

~T

Old 07-26-2007, 03:39 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
If we can't use them to make advances in medicine and cure diseases - what should then be done with the currently 500,000 frozen embryos and growing every month? Just a question.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:35 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
If we can't use them to make advances in medicine and cure diseases - what should then be done with the currently 500,000 frozen embryos and growing every month? Just a question.

Keep them frozen and hope regime change brings someone other than a tunnel-visioned ideologue?

Old 07-27-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
killing a deer is not murder. it doesnt have true sapiance.
Agreed.

Quote:
an embryo is no more capable of being murdered than a snail
Show me a snail capable of developing into a human adult, and then that argument might hold some water.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:48 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Show me a sperm and ovum that are not capable of developing into an adult human being.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:56 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I respectfully disagree. The ends do not justify the means in this case.

I'm all for curing cancer, AIDs, Alzheimers, etc., but if science discovered next week that they could cure any one of those by lining up all left-handed seniors and grinding them up, I wouldn't support it. Trying to help people does not justify killing another.
Am I to understand that you are against capital punishment as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies