Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 03:18 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
I,m not over thinking anything. It's just funny seeing people claim to be something that they are not.

Claiming to be Irish or something else is something a lot of people do. I suppose it's trendy.

It's OK...american is a perfectly fine identity to have. You don,t have to go back to your ancestry to be an interesting person.
However the only TRUE Americans are the American Indian everybody else came here by boat whether by their own choice or notWe are a country of immigrants which makes us a unique melting pot? Trendy That's implies its something new You really don't understand America as a whole and me as an individual at all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 03:22 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
However the only TRUE Americans are the American Indian everybody else came here by boat whether by their own choice or notWe are a country of immigrants which makes us a unique melting pot? Trendy That's implies its something new You really don't understand America as a whole and me as an individual at all!!

Really? I never came here by boat or any other means of transportation. I was born here and am a TRUE American of Irish decent.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:23 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Why do the Irish have to go around announcing their ethnicity to everyone? I don't need to hear about it. They're shoving it down our throats. And why do they have to have a parade? They're such deviants. I'm really tired of all of this political correctness. They tell the rest of us that we need to be "tolerant" of them, but then they won't tolerate my anti-Irish views. They must be mentally ill.

(all sarcasm)

Do you have this confused with another gay thread?

Old 02-10-2011, 03:24 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
its not offenseive...

remember st paddy's day is coming

what's the difference between an Irish wedding , and an Irish wake????

Spoiler
one less drunk
Haha! Cute.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:28 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
I,m not over thinking anything. It's just funny seeing people claim to be something that they are not.

Claiming to be Irish or something else is something a lot of people do. I suppose it's trendy.

It's OK...american is a perfectly fine identity to have. You don,t have to go back to your ancestry to be an interesting person.
What makes you think people do it to be interesting to others? Many go along identifying themselves as they choose and never mention it until asked. On those occasions, it usually doesn't generate that much interest or discussion to make it worth the effort if that was the reason.

Most people in the US are descendants of immigrants. When people came to the US, they brought along their cultural norms and practices. Those shaped the lives and values or future generations leading up to the present. There is absolutely nothing wrong with someone idenitfying that part of what makes them who they are is the influence that their ancestors brought from their country of origin.

I don't think most of the "Irish" that speak with their northeastern accents or southern accents really think they're convincing anyone that they are on vacation from Dublin. Most people that hear that someone is Irish or Italian or whatever it may be seem to understand and get the point that the person is making reference to their heritage or culture without the need for further clarification.

Would it resolve the issue if every time the subject came up, they clarified that they are not citizens of Ireland, but that they are of Irish descent?

How should they handle it if they're on vacation in the US, are of Mexican descent, but have recently moved to Ireland and became a citizen because they married and Irish person? Can they no longer say they're Mexican even though they lived there their whole lives? Are they more Irish now that they have a piece of paper than a guy who's an American citizen but their grandparents came from Ireland?

Old 02-10-2011, 03:56 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Really? I never came here by boat or any other means of transportation. I was born here and am a TRUE American of Irish decent.
I believe as you do but the Canadian guy had his colon in a knot so I was trying to make a point

Old 02-10-2011, 03:59 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
I am half Irish and half drunk and I am not offended.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:26 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
BREAKING NEWS!

The Irish panic in the wake of floods!

'

Old 02-10-2011, 04:55 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
My country is a country of immigrant too. So?

Old 02-10-2011, 05:13 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
What makes you think people do it to be interesting to others? Many go along identifying themselves as they choose and never mention it until asked. On those occasions, it usually doesn't generate that much interest or discussion to make it worth the effort if that was the reason.

Most people in the US are descendants of immigrants. When people came to the US, they brought along their cultural norms and practices. Those shaped the lives and values or future generations leading up to the present. There is absolutely nothing wrong with someone idenitfying that part of what makes them who they are is the influence that their ancestors brought from their country of origin.

I don't think most of the "Irish" that speak with their northeastern accents or southern accents really think they're convincing anyone that they are on vacation from Dublin. Most people that hear that someone is Irish or Italian or whatever it may be seem to understand and get the point that the person is making reference to their heritage or culture without the need for further clarification.

Would it resolve the issue if every time the subject came up, they clarified that they are not citizens of Ireland, but that they are of Irish descent?

How should they handle it if they're on vacation in the US, are of Mexican descent, but have recently moved to Ireland and became a citizen because they married and Irish person? Can they no longer say they're Mexican even though they lived there their whole lives? Are they more Irish now that they have a piece of paper than a guy who's an American citizen but their grandparents came from Ireland?
You make it sound like the US is the only 'country of immigrant'.

The way americans identify to a cocktail of heritage in attempt to look cosmopolitan or something (when north america is just as inbred as anywhere else) is really uniquely american.

Anytime I visit the US, I have these long boring discussions about heritage as soon as someone hears my accent.

"Dude, you're french! I'm totally Welsh! ohmygawd!"

I remember an american tourist taking a chair at our table in Montreal and saying "it's OK, I'm scottish, you're french...the auld alliance!"

I mean wow, this guy not only took us on another continent but back to the middle ages!

Do you actually come to believe that BS that you're someone else when you say it often enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies