Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2011, 05:33 PM

419 posts, read 465,924 times

Advertisements

I don't watch Glenn Beck, but I do appreciate his performances that I happen to catch later on. His trick of dousing his eyes with vaporub so he can cry on cue is pretty nifty. I've also watched Jon Stewart's parodies of him, funny, funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 06:11 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Can you blame him? He's called everything long before it coming to fruition. Wasn't Tesla considered crasy? Wasn't Einstein an unteachable mediocre student? I'm not calling Beck a genius, but it's funny how the smartest men in history are called crasy only to be proven brilliant.

I look at this way. Who should you trust more- the half crasy person who backs his sh$% up with history and research only to be found correct, over and over again... Or, the people constantly saying he's crasy only to be proven wrong, over and over again?
Maybe one of the funniest, saddest posts I've read on this message board.

Comparing Glenn Beck, the political television pundit known for rambling conspiracy theories and using Vicks VapoRub under his eye to produce tears to Nikola Tesla, and Albert Einstein, two obvious geniuses whose brilliance can be adduced from the technical applicability of their theories and inventions?

You're right that Beck isn't a genius, nor is he one of the smartest men in history. He is, however, quite intelligent, or at least effective in pursuing his goals.

Beck has made a name for himself during a period marked by high levels of fear, frustration, and confusion amongst large numbers of the population. His program is targeted towards conservative, ill-informed individuals who are distraught at what they perceive as their country's downward spiral, and fueling their fears with "what-if" scenarios and spurious theories revolving around the progressive plot, from Wilson to Cloward and Piven to Obama, to destroy the nation, he has made himself extremely rich and powerful.

You people who watch his show with religious fervor are doing yourselves a disservice; I don't dismiss someone simply because they are conservative, but the Beck brand of conservatism is aimed towards those who are easily manipulated and possess a poor understanding of history. It's an even shallower, mass-media version of McCarthyism, and that feels almost like a disservice to McCarthy.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:01 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
My God, the leader of the Social Workers Party is one of those lunatics? I think that from her words spoken on a square to them I would have to agree. Now let me talk about the rest of the group . . . . . . . . . . . .
You actually think this group is an existential threat to the US?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I said that I didn't manage to hear Beck say those things and you have no proof that he did. You do the research to prove your words or accept the fact that you are repeating left leaning blog crap about the man.
From his own show transcript:

"One -- a Muslim caliphate that controls the Mideast and parts of Europe.

Two -- China, that will control Asia, the southern half of Africa, part of the Middle East, Australia, maybe New Zealand, and God only knows what else.

And, Russia, which will control all of the old former Soviet Union bloc, plus maybe the Netherlands. Not really sure.

But their strong arm is coming.

That leaves us and South America. What happens to us?"""

(http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/glenn-beck/transcript/why-egypt-matters?page=1#ixzz1Dc02tROS - broken link)
Why Egypt Matters - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/glenn-beck/transcript/why-egypt-matters?page=1#ixzz1Dc02tROS - broken link)

Now that you got your source, can you tell me how anyone with an IQ above Forest Gump would not laugh at these PREDICTIONS...he says "will"...read it.

Can you give me sources that prove that current unrest in Egypt can be extraoplated into these far fetched scenarios?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You got it ABSOLUTELY. . . wrong!

He was going through "what if" scenarios. You know like "what if Egypt falls to extremism and then the rest of the middle east and northern Africa fall like dominoes". What if isn't stating a fact, but propositioning event sequences. You know, like "what if you walk out your door and get hit by a bus", according to you is saying "you are going to be hit by a bus".

Don't be a mook by taking what was said out of context and spinning it to fit your point. Maybe I should learn to seperate sarcasm from ethos, but it appears most pretend one is the other.
Nice dodge but it doesn't work. It's not what if when you say this is what WILL happen. And repeat it. "I tell you American...they ARE coming and it WILL...blah blah blah."

These comments are designed to frigthen people who are vulberable intellectually. You know that, unless you're one of them.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:39 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Mention Beck, Rush, Palin, or Bachman in here and the thread goes viral.

In the war, the command will be protected the greatest.

Do these four have a full assault on the base with truth and facts?
All I see is personal & character attacks, nothing for the message.

The shells are hitting their home base. Keep them coming!

Place reason, firmly in her seat and the truth will set you free.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:32 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Maybe one of the funniest, saddest posts I've read on this message board.

Comparing Glenn Beck, the political television pundit known for rambling conspiracy theories and using Vicks VapoRub under his eye to produce tears to Nikola Tesla, and Albert Einstein, two obvious geniuses whose brilliance can be adduced from the technical applicability of their theories and inventions?
I made it clear I wasn't putting him in the same class yet you still had to act like I did. You glazed right over my point. I gave an opinion, not from a broken record (like you and all the other parrots), but from my observation of that particular show that I happened to catch.

I give equal time to both left and right commentary and frankly I'd prefer to use my own judgement of what's happening by sticking my head out of the window and looking for myself. However, that's just me.

You might want to revise your list because that vaporub thing is nearly as overused as the Blame Bush thing. Isn't it time for some current material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
Nice dodge but it doesn't work. It's not what if when you say this is what WILL happen. And repeat it. "I tell you American...they ARE coming and it WILL...blah blah blah."

These comments are designed to frigthen people who are vulberable intellectually. You know that, unless you're one of them.
I must have missed the memo because all I heard was "what if", but then I don't hate the guy as much as you do, so you hear whatever you need to. I'm not sure you noticed, but it might be worth being a little (or a lot) concerned about the situation in the middle east.

As for, "frightening people who are vulnerable intellectually" (corrected). It would have been easier to simply call people "stupid" who don't agree with you. Would that have been too obvious for those intellectually challenged people? It must be nice to know how superior you are to those who you consider challenged.

Last edited by steven_h; 02-10-2011 at 09:51 PM..

Old 02-10-2011, 09:42 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post

Milhouse: [steps up to blackboard] Ahem. OK, here's what we've got: the Rand Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people --
Bart: Thank you.
Milhouse: -- under the supervision of the reverse vampires --
Lisa: [sighs]
Milhouse: -- are forcing our parents to go to bed early in a fiendish
plot to eliminate the meal of dinner. [sotto voce] We're
through the looking glass, here, people...
YESSSS!!!!! So true!

Old 02-10-2011, 10:20 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Default Did you stop beating your kids yet?

You can't prove a negative.
You don't have to.

He's making the positive assertion that there is a conspiracy.
He needs to prove it.

If I assert that Beck kisses sheep butts, I'm responsible for providing proof.
If 10 others assert the same, we're responsible for proving it.

Tell me how you prove that you didn't do something that you didn't do?

Old 02-10-2011, 10:32 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You can't prove a negative.
You don't have to.

He's making the positive assertion that there is a conspiracy.
He needs to prove it.

If I assert that Beck kisses sheep butts, I'm responsible for providing proof.
If 10 others assert the same, we're responsible for proving it.

Tell me how you prove that you didn't do something that you didn't do?

I know, it is all one hell of a coincident isn't it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies